Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
ENTP with SA...How?
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the psychiatrist today. Xanax hasnt worked for me, so she said,here, try ativan. My grandpa is on ativan....to celebrate i just took a whole bunch of xanax to see if it works. I think i took 2mg, but 4mg of klonopin was the only time a benzo every worked for me. Im guessing ativan is xanax minus a little bit right? short acting? How long is it supposed to last.

Ativan...HIT ME WITH SOME KNOWLEDGE.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Those are large doses unless you have been on them awhile. Do you by chance have some alcohol cross tolerance possibly? I think I did when I first tried benzos.

Some basic information, you probably know some of this:

It takes more to equal Xanax in strength 1 mg Ativan = 0.5 mg Xanax

Ativan has a longer half life than Xanax but a shorter one than Klonopin. I think people sometimes feel more of a high or buzz when the half life is shorter. However, you have already tried the benzo with the shortest halflife so I wouldn't expect much in that regard.

Ativan may be more hypnotic than the other benzos. It could make you more sleepy.

I don't know that's about it I think. Sometimes people just respond differently to each one. Just try it and find out. Those are huge doses though man.

·
ENTP with SA...How?
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know they are huge. I only took 4mg of klonopin once, it was 3 the rest of the time, i just dont know why i have such a huge tolerance for medicine.

I took 2mg of xanax tonight. It actually hit me like the first time i took klonopin, which surprised me greatly. Im a big guy, and i know that has something to do with it, but i know i would have to take a **** load to overdose.

I know the 3mg of klonopin didnt work because i didnt really have any bad withdrawal symptoms, and i was not in any way addicted to it. I know klonopin or xanax is like ****in crack when it comes to addiction...i have no idea how people get addicted to it based on my experience with it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yea, benzos suck in the dose (.05) that docs often prescribe them at and I only weigh 150 pounds. They are only good for stopping a panic attack at that dose. That is it. Unless you let the Klonopin build up over time but then you are going to get addicted. Benzos have ended up being a lot more situational then I thought they would be. The only way to actually block out anxiety with them is to dose at like 1-3mg and there is no way you can keep that up for long. I save it for special social situations where alcohol won't work. Doctors are right about this, not a good long term medication.

If you are actually looking to feel something just drink some alcohol and save yourself the trouble. All you can do is hope something else will work for you long term unless you want to risk benzo addiction by popping them like crazy. I wouldn't do that if I were you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts