Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you had to choose between ativan and alcohol to get you through a social situation that causes you A LOT of anxiety, which would you choose and why? The social situation lasts 30 minutes.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Ativan. Unless drinking was part of the social situation.. then drinking.

If not, id recommend taking an ativan. Then going for a 10-15 minute briskish walk to gather the thoughts.

You'll be money!

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Alcohol if it was part of the social situation. Giving a presentation while a tad intoxicated clearly would be a terrible idea. At a party, your mind doesn't need to be quite so sharp, so doesn't matter.
Why: because alcohol is far more relaxing than Ativan.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alcohol if it was part of the social situation. Giving a presentation while a tad intoxicated clearly would be a terrible idea. At a party, your mind doesn't need to be quite so sharp, so doesn't matter.
Why: because alcohol is far more relaxing than Ativan.
Can alcohol help with panic attacks?

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Can alcohol help with panic attacks?
Official SAS reply: alcohol is bad.

Reality: some of us turn to alcohol because we get drugs that suck. Benzos don't suck, though they are still pretty weak IMO. I've yet to use any drug with a faster or more profound calming effect than alcohol.

·
Clever Status Title
1,049 Posts
Alcohol - small doses shuts down parts of the brain that make it easier to socialize. Ativan - shuts down most GABA, so your whole brain and you can't think.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Alcohol - small doses shuts down parts of the brain that make it easier to socialize. Ativan - shuts down most GABA, so your whole brain and you can't think.
Odd how I manage to post coherently while my whole brain is shut down, though in my case by Xanax.

·
Clever Status Title
1,049 Posts
Odd how I manage to post coherently while my whole brain is shut down, though in my case by Xanax.
Typing on a forum is different than an interaction irl with people. You can take your sweet time typing coherently, edit, and spell check /grammar check. IRL you are expected to respond immediately. From personal experience, (alcohol calms down, while Ativan makes me think and talk like I haven't slept in two days). Of course people react differently to pharmaceuticals, and no one size fits all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts