Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been on Ativan for approx 2 years. My current dosage is 1 mg 4x a day. I went to a psychiatrist today and he want me off Ativan and he put me on Klonopin 1 mg 2-3 times a day.

I do not have panic attacks. I have GAD from chronic medical issues.

Question;

Will I have withdrawals swapping over?

My next time to take a Ativan is at 5PM central time.
Should I just take the 1 mg of Klonopin at 5 or should I take it a hourly earlier because I have read where Klonopin does not work as fast?

I generally take my Ativan at 6 AM, 11 PM, 5 PM and 10 PM. I also take 10 mg of Elavil at bedtime but I take it for another reason not Anxiety.

I also take 1200 mg of Neurotin a day for nerve pain and 37.5 mg of Toporol for blood pressure.

Looking for help and pointers. I take no other type of Anxiety/Depression medications

·
Down the rabbit hole
4,499 Posts
Some maybe, Ativan is known to cause rebound as soon as after 3days of use... But your klonopin dose is high enough so shouldn't cause probs.

No klonopin works within 2 hours and has a long halflife... So it will build up in your system after some days...

In worse case or u feel the need take an Ativan...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My biggest concern is we are on a family vacation starting "soon" and I did not want ti be battling withdrawals etc from the change from Ativan to Klonopin.

·
Down the rabbit hole
4,499 Posts
Hopefully you shouldn't the Klonopin will be working 24/7... And at that the dose your'e prescribed the transfer should be easy... just in case you can take an Ativan.

·
Banned
1,933 Posts
Klonopin will stop the withdrawals because it works all day but don't drink a lot while on it, you'll probably do something really stupid that you will regret the next day lol.

·
Registered
855 Posts
You may get withdrawals.. The problem here is Ativan works faster than Klonopin so you may not get the relief you're used to once you been on Ativan for that long.

They all work similar and you do build tolerance which sucks. It may take you some time to get used to Klonopin but the good part is it does last longer and has better muscle relaxing properties.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ativan is absorbed fast so you'll need to take it every two hours. It actually is untraceable in urine after 1 day. I prefer Kolonopin because its long acting. I'm also hearing great things about Xanax XR. I hate popping pills.

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

1 - 8 of 8 Posts