Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Despite being an athiest, I went to church yesterday with my aunt and my cousin. I didn't go to church with them to worship a God. I went there to meet new people. They introduced me to this girl, who is really quiet like me. And not only is she quiet, but she is pretty and the same age as me.

I'm totally against religion, but after meeting this girl, I will continue to go to church just so I can see her and meet other people. This is the first time that I've ever appreciated religion, because if religion never existed, there would be no churches. And if there were no churches, I would have never met that girl yesterday. Churches can be useful after all.

·
Banned
2,331 Posts
Better watch out. I've read about an old sect of Christianity that doesn't exist anymore, but the women involved in it used to seduce men in order to get them to convert. ;)

2,348 Posts
I actually thought about attending church as well, even though I am an atheist. It is the sense of community that I am looking for that I feel like I am lacking in my life. However, I don't think I would want to meet a guy at church since our beliefs would be different. He probably would think I am going to hell since I don't believe it God. ;)

·
Banned
5,875 Posts
I attended church regularly as an atheist a few years ago. At that time, no one knew I was an atheist, so part of it was to keep up the facade of being Christian. The social connections that come from regular attendance can be helpful if you feel lonely and like you have no where else to turn. But if you don't believe in any of it, then obviously it's going to be boring as hell having to sit through a two hour sermon every Sunday.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
I suppose I could meet girls in church, but how fast are they going to run when they find out what I think of their religion?

The concept of atheists in church strikes me as odd to say the least. This is like those who want to ban guns joining the NRA and blasting away with a gun at a shooting range -- kind of conflicts with their core values, don't you think? Or like a vegan going out for a steak dinner while wearing her new leather coat.

·
Banned
2,331 Posts
I wonder if there may be other churches that are more acceptable...I havent been in church for....9 years maybe?
Unitarian Universalist is probably going to be your best bet. I think they have some fairly large churches in some areas. You could probably find a small church here and there with a Protestant theology that teaches universal salvation, but I think it would vary from Preacher to Preacher rather then any specific Church, so you would have to ask them first. It would be logical though, that if the Preacher believes that nobody will go to hell for eternity then the people who are still attending the Church would be open to that viewpoint.

·
Registered
154,233 Posts
Despite being an athiest, I went to church yesterday with my aunt and my cousin. I didn't go to church with them to worship a God. I went there to meet new people. They introduced me to this girl, who is really quiet like me. And not only is she quiet, but she is pretty and the same age as me.

I'm totally against religion, but after meeting this girl, I will continue to go to church just so I can see her and meet other people. This is the first time that I've ever appreciated religion, because if religion never existed, there would be no churches. And if there were no churches, I would have never met that girl yesterday. Churches can be useful after all.
Imagine if God wanted the two of you together, then you might have something. We do have the issue of getting with somebody "equally yoked", though. It may not go over well with her if she finds out you're atheist. :stu

·
Registered
154,233 Posts
i went to an evangelist camp trip...last year actually. My brother sort of pushed me into going. They were really nice, but its sad they were so closed minded that they looked down on me with pity and only saw was damning soul going to hell. A co-worker at the time told me this several times. I wonder if there may be other churches that are more acceptable...I havent been in church for....9 years maybe? My brother, however, kept going to the evangelist chruch that organized the camping trip. Just for a few days. Im sure its a great place to meet people if you share their beliefs.
That shows the unhealthiness of the church. To look down on you is a sin. If you were open minded enough to go to the camp, they had the responsbility to show you who God iswithout judgment. People are going to be naturally skeptical. To outright judge you is wrong.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I agree with the above post wholeheartedly. There are many false teachings out there that misrepresent God. If you come to know who God truly is, you can't help but feel that love and acceptance, because its who He is, and you'll want to go, and want to learn more. Faith is centered around a personal relationship with God. If you go to a place of worship under false pretenses, God will know this and you won't find him. You only find him under genuine need and want, jmo. so you may be sabotaging yourself by going for the wrong reasons.

·
Registered
231 Posts
hey, church is not the only social club around
I have considered joining a camera club but always chicken out
there's book clubs, car clubs, dog owner clubs, sports...

·
Digimon Loyalist
2,031 Posts
Even though I'm an atheist I have recently gone to small church groups to meet people my own age and develop friendships.

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
I've never gone to church to make friends or meet people, but it seems that I tend to make friends/acquaintances with people that are very religious. Most didn't realize what I thought about religion. When they do then I have to make clear not to talk about certain things..lol. I've lost one acquaintance and one friend by speaking my mind about religion. Oh well.

In regards to the OP...be careful about getting into a relationship with someone that is religious when you're not. Not that it can't work, but it usually complicates it. Unless of course she isn't really religious and is just going through the motions. There are Unitarian Universalist churches out there where you could probably meet like-minded people without having to be worried about speaking your mind.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
I suppose I could meet girls in church, but how fast are they going to run when they find out what I think of their religion?

The concept of atheists in church strikes me as odd to say the least. This is like those who want to ban guns joining the NRA and blasting away with a gun at a shooting range -- kind of conflicts with their core values, don't you think? Or like a vegan going out for a steak dinner while wearing her new leather coat.
Atheism, in the broadest sense of the term, is simply the absence of belief in a deity. Not all atheists are anti-religion.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Unitarians

I would recommend a unitarian church to anyone. If only just to experience one service. I've been to 2 services and they were very cool. There was no orthodoxy whatsoever in the sermon. They read from the bible, they read poems, I think they read the lyrics to a beatles song. The people were a really interesting mix, many of them coming from different religious backgrounds. I never joined because the idea of joining anything is a little scary to me but I think about it now and then.

Regarding the original post, make sure she doesn't want to convert you. I dated a devout christian who tried everything to convert me, including threatening breaking up and in the end it just wasn't worth it.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts

Go for it, exposure is exposure, and you could be just "deciding on your faith for an extended period of time" ;)

·
SAS Veteran
1,841 Posts
No offense, but how can you respect religion if you don't believe in God and you go to church and use religion just to see this girl?

Do you really have enough in common? If you go out with this girl will there be disputes about the existence of God?

At some point they might get you to be a member of the church. Will you lie and sign up or will you be honest?

You have a right to believe the way you want but I don't believe in using religion just to get to the opposite sex.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts