Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
unashamed perv
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[Apologies if this is in the wrong forum]

Do you talk about it with your nearest and dearest? Do you contemplate your own mortality? Do you think people should be more open about it?

Until recently, I wasn't an organ donor, because I just didn't really believe that I might die young! I know that that's daft of me, but... anyway, I put my name on the register today.

This BBC article made me want to ask the question.

If, like me, you don't believe in life after death, does the thought that you will just end one day bother you? It's just not something I can really get my head around. Maybe I shouldn't try. Thoughts?

NOT looking for a discussion about suicide here.

·
Registered
984 Posts
i'm not technically an atheist anymore but I used to be so i'll try to answer. That we only get one chance to make on the world pushes you farther and there is no reason to dwell on mortality as it is probably similar to the state as before you where born.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Honestly I don't really care or think about it too often. I refuse to act different just because it might get me a different result in death or because there is no result. Whatever happens I will find out or not when I die and dwelling on it does not help me live. What happens after death is simply a passing though to me and then I realize nothing can be proven so I quit wondering. My views or lack of them on death are actually part of the reason I follow no religion. I'm not interested in finding an answer before I die.

·
Registered
47 Posts
i'm not technically an atheist anymore but I used to be so i'll try to answer. That we only get one chance to make on the world pushes you farther and there is no reason to dwell on mortality as it is probably similar to the state as before you where born.
Exactly. Done is done. It's nice to think that our "spirit" or what have you persists, but really, at least for quite a while now, I've been content with the idea that my time on earth is finite, and I need to make the most of it now. Now, the SA has always been a major roadblock in bringing that plan to fruition, but I think I'm actually OK with the idea that someday, I won't be here.

·
Banned
728 Posts
It is a bit of a weird thought, that one day i wont wake up.

I think everyone has had this thought in their lives.

Its like thinking about what is in space. Who knows?

The ironic thing is that i dont like the thought of death, yet living is tough.

I need to do things in life. I hope i get to!

·
unashamed perv
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hm, interesting answers. It doesn't really bother me much at the moment, but I think if I ahd a terminal illness, if I were faced with death, I would be terribly afraid to die.

I really should put myself down to be an organ doner the only thing that stops me is I think it may upset my family if they think I've been taken to peices when I die. I've never really talked about any of this to anyone though.
Ooh, and that's really interesting too, I feel a new thread coming on...

·
unashamed perv
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bothers me because as far as I'm concerned reality only exists for as long as I'm alive.

Luckily because of that I won't have the luxury of regret when it's over.
this post + your username... er...yes... I think my mind is too boggled to say anything sensible about it...

get yourself frozen and return in a few hundred years or so - ever considered this?
I know you can have your head cryogenically frozen, for a price, but I think I'd feel like it was a waste of money. Maybe it isn't, maybe the frozen people will be brought back to life in the future... It would be totally amazing to wake up in the year 3000 and see what it's like. But what if something went wrong? What if I was revitalised brain-damaged, or as a brain in a jar with an eyeball attatched, and used as a lab rat, or something equally horrible? Eeurgh, I'm scaring myself...

·
Registered
230 Posts
this post + your username... er...yes... I think my mind is too boggled to say anything sensible about it...
You only know reality exists because you can perceive it. From your perspective, before you are born and after you are dead, not only do you not exist but neither does anything else.

If there's absolutely nothing at the end of the tunnel then why wouldn't that bother you? I think a lot of people are confusing bother with worry/fear. It bothers me in the sense that it sucks that I don't have infinite time to be stimulated by my existence, but I don't worry about or fear it because after I'm dead I'm not going to be thinking "Damn I wish I hadn't died."

The only rational reason I can see as for why it wouldn't bother anyone is if their existence was so dull and depressing that it's not worth continuing.

·
Banned
4,462 Posts
I agree with Epicurus's take on death: "Death is nothing to us, since when we are, death has not come, and when death has come,we are not."

And its not like we haven't been in such a state or non-state before, as Epicurus pointed out: we were there before we we're born. Death does not bother me.

When I'm dead, it's not like I'll be able to look back on my life and think, "wow! My life was awesome," or,"Wow, my life sucked." I won't be able to reflect on anything, and if I die at a young age suddenly like in a car accident or whatever, it still won't matter all that much because I'll be fu-king dead!!

What's to be afraid of? Immortality would probably get boring because death is what makes life exciting in the first place. Why do people get a rush from doing something fearful like jumping out of a plane or whatever? It's because they could die. Remove the possibility of death, and I don't see what would be exciting about it.

Adrenaline rushes, pain, and so on -- we have these feelings for survival purposes. Without the possibility of death, such things would just be masturbation for the hedonistic or masochistic enjoyment of someone living forever in some after life or on Earth or whatever. And, that would surely get boring after a while.

·
Too School for Cool
6,857 Posts
Doesn't bother me. I've accepted it, and it doesn't torment me at all. As mentioned above, I'll just, well, be dead. I won't know the difference, even if I die tomorrow.

Loved ones dying is far more troubling to me.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Death weirds me out. I randomly think about it. The thought of dying from a freak accident or something is just crazy. Tomorrow I could just not be here. What's the point in living, when you're just narrowly escaping death, second by second? That's what goes through my head. I'm so afraid to lose the people/animals in my life.

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
It doesn't bother me too much. I find it a bit comforting almost at times. I don't like the thought of missing out on stuff but what can you do?

Once Mark Twain was asked if he feared death. He said that he did not, in view of the fact that he had been dead for billions and billions of years before he was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
If it makes you feel better, you have always existed and always will. It's not a matter of religion. It's actually science. Your body decays and deteriorates into the environment. Before you were born, all the materials that were required to make you were on this planet. And when you die, all the materials will recycle to create something else.

It sounds frightening at first but it's actually kind of peaceful if you think about it. I hate talking about it because people think I'm crazy or talk nonsense.

Scientists know exactly what your body is made out of. There is carbon, oxygen, hydrogen, nitrogen, iron, copper etc. All those things are found in space and in you. We came from the stars and the stars came from us. That isn't me talking, that is science. (look it up)

·
Registered
230 Posts
"You" have only existed forever if you define yourself as the elements that make up your body, something most people don't believe.

I do love knowing that we're all stardust though. Anyone who's interested in the topic should check out some of the interviews of Neil Degrasse Tyson or Michio Kaku. :) Tons of videos of them on youtube.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.