Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone got any experience with atenolol for public speaking etc? I took propranolol but have asthma so would like to change to another beta blocker. I have heard that atenolol works, but not sure what dosage etc as there doesn't seem to be much info on it. Thanks :)

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Atenolol does not enter the brain, so has no central nervous system activity. Propanolol is better for anxiety as it crosses the blood-brain barrier.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Propranolol is an unselective beta blocker. It can enter the CNS and is much better for situational social anxiety, but propably worse for asthma
Atenolol is a so-called β1-selective (or 'cardioselective') drug. That means that it exerts greater blocking activity on myocardial β1-receptors than on β2 ones in the lung. The β2 receptors are responsible for keeping the bronchial system open. If these receptors are blocked, bronchospasm with serious lack of oxygen in the body can result. However, due to its cardioselective properties, the risk of bronchospastic reactions if using atenolol is reduced compared to nonselective drugs as propranolol.
Wikipedia

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey medline ... thanks ... i used propranolol for the physiological symptoms of anxiety (tremor, rapid heart rate etc) ... apparently atenolol is just as good and is often used by musicians and actors etc. Propranolol actually didn't help at all with psychological feelings of anxiety ... but when i got onto a stage to give a presentation etc ... the shaking was not there at all. It is an amazing drug ... but unfortunately it has affected by breathing. I am very sure that atenolol CAN be and is used for stage fright etc, but i can't find any info on dose!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is what someone wrote about atenolol
'I have high BP and severe anxiety during public speaking. Was prescribed 25mg/day. On a day when I had to give a speach, I took 50mg. WOW!!! what a difference!! Said goodbye to racing heartbeats, trembling hands, weak knees and quaviering voice. I was back in control and able to deliver without looking nervous.'

I wish my GP knew more about it ... he simply said 'it won't work for that type of thing' .. but there are far too many sources which say that it does.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts