Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's hard at any age for anyone with anxiety, but the older you get the saying goes, the harder it is to make close friends...im nearing thirty and starting to feel like this. Aside from having smaller outlets (no school), I noticed at a certain point people aren't really looking, or they're working on something else like starting a family..i dunno..i guess im wondering if anyone found any really good friends at a later age in life. any inspirational
stories of friendships?

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm really looking forward to replies to this post. This is a very good question. I'm in my 30's and making new friends is almost imposible.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Yeah, looking for some inspiration too. Like you said, i think most people have already found there close friends by this time.

·
Prince Procrastinator
237 Posts
Although I have no personal stories to tell, I think past your 20's your biggest chance at friendship is at work. I think working together, even in a very 'cold' business-related environment, you grow some sort of bond with your coworkers.

·
Registered
257 Posts
the older you get, the harder it is

·
Registered
609 Posts
i am 31 and i can tell its either make or break time...most guys i know are either starting a family, or with their gfs all the time....i can make friends with people but i always start distancing myself from people because relationships(even with friends) just seems like so much work to be honest...i just dont have the energy or outgoingness to be able to work all day and do my own thing and maintain relationship..it sucks but thats introversion for ya..i dont see any way of changing it either..

·
Comfortably Numb
232 Posts
I think after people establish their lives career,wife,kids and home.It gets much harder to make friends.But,that doesn't mean its impossible.I'm trying right now to get an SA meetup group together but,I'm finding it really hard to get people to come out of their shells.

·
Registered
371 Posts
personally, I would say.. late teens to early adulthood.. I don't know.. I'm 20 and I find it hard to make friends cause Im just too shy..

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
When I think of older people making friends, I usually think of neighbors getting together, making friends through work, or making friends at the bowling league, lol.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
It is harder in my age range. I have had a lot of trouble meeting people my age :(.

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
The one thing that I hate is everyone my age seems more mature like they already have a family and a career going. It's especially hard with the women because they seem really mature and experienced while I still act and dress like some young college kid.

·
Banned
397 Posts
It becomes very hard to make friends past the age of 25. At that time most people are settling down with their own families and current friends. They don't have much time for anything else.

·
Registered
609 Posts
i guess it also dependds on what your idea of 'friend' means..i mean, in your 30s its easy to meet alot of people at bars/clubs and you talk to a regular basis..they are fun to drink with etc etc...are they true friends though, no, more like drinking buddies...as far as making true friends where you share a deep bond, then yep id say anything past 25 its gonna be very very hard..usually those deep bonds are from growing up together, going thru good/tough times together..

·
Registered
67 Posts
When you get into your late 20's. When you get into that age range people pretty much have established friendships and trust issues, and it's hard to either let people in or let yourself in to other established circles. Cause' when you enter into new friendships, you're entering into a new circle and sometimes the "new friend" will seek approval from the others in that circle to see if they think you fit in or not. This is why I've had different sets of friends all my life, because when gotten all together they are very different personalities and usually don't like each other.

·
Half way there
428 Posts
In my opinion it's relatively easy to find friends at your local church at any age.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'd like to say my age (19) because I'm finding it so hard myself at the minute but I don't think thats true actually, I would imagine it would be a lot harder to make friends from 25+
just less new things going on (new jobs/colllege) and less oppertunity to meet people maybe?

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
I'm not even sure how I'll ever make friends I don't think I have a lot in common with other people my age I'm a big kid.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts