Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate buying things at a grocery or book store, cuz it always means small talk. They'll ask how my day was, and I just look down and mumble 'good'. I hate when they're really trying to talk, and I just give them one word answers like I couldn't care less what they thought. I talk super quiet then, to the point where they can't hear me. And then I think that they're thinking, she's such a freak, or, what's her problem? Does anyone ever feel this way? I'm slowly overcoming my SA but this is always a major fall back. Any advice?

·
Registered
59 Posts
As someone who has worked as a cashier, let me just say that they aren't going to remember you five minutes later. If they ask you how your day was, or how you're doing, that's something they say to everyone. If they make a real effort to start a conversation, all they're doing is trying to make life a little more interesting. Just smile at them and speak a little louder and feel free to just give a one-word answer. Eventually, you'll get comfortable with doing this, and then you might find you even want to talk a little more. :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
As someone who has worked as a cashier, let me just say that they aren't going to remember you five minutes later.
This is true.

Though if I'm at a grocery store with a self-check out, I'll opt for that. But I really haven't had many awkward run ins with cashiers. I guess the last time was a few months ago at a book store. The guy was kind of odd, and looked over each book I was buying and had to comment on them. I couldn't get out of there fast enough.

·
Done with SA
1,818 Posts
I always feel the same way, except when I buy books and music, for some reason.
If the place in question has self check out, that is usually where I'll go. Otherwise, I just deal with the cashiers. I try to remember, mainly from my own little experience as a cashier, that most aren't really paying that much attention to you. They ask those same questions about 500 times a day to everyone and forget you a few moments later, unless you were rude to them. They'll remember you for a bit longer, then.

This is true.

Though if I'm at a grocery store with a self-check out, I'll opt for that. But I really haven't had many awkward run ins with cashiers. I guess the last time was a few months ago at a book store. The guy was kind of odd, and looked over each book I was buying and had to comment on them. I couldn't get out of there fast enough.
I've had that happen quite a few times while buying books and music. They're usually good comments, so I don't mind them. In fact, if I see those people (because it's usually the same people) checking out, I'll go to their line.

·
Registered
59 Posts
That sounds horrendously awkward. D:

A lot of people on here have mentioned self-check outs, but I don't like those at all. Maybe it's just my city, but it seems that they always have problems, which leads to having to confront a store employee, anyway. I'd personally much rather deal with small talk (which is often robotic in its own way) than have to deal with those things.

And irrelevantly, I love your avatar/username. :D

·
Registered
137 Posts
And irrelevantly, I love your avatar/username. :D
I love your av, too! :D Love both those guys. And speaking of self-check outs, I used one today to buy the new Rolling Stone mag with Stephen on the cover. There's a great interview inside if you haven't checked it out.

·
subtastic
7,692 Posts
I'm usually on the other side of the register, and all I can say is it takes a lot of practice. I still don't to well with customer/cashier small talk if I'm having a bad day, but I try to put my "public face" on and fake it, basically. Giving somebody a giant smile is a good start, even if it feels ridiculous. If they ask you how it's going, just say, "Fine thanks. How are you?" That will take some of the pressure off of you, at least.

·
Registered
7 Posts
ha i remember after a long term relationship ended for me (major heartbrake) i went to the bookstore to find something that would make sense of things. i ended up getting a book called men, women and relationships or something corny like that, lol. the guy at the checkout looked at the book and smirked, i just wanted to be like, dude, you don't know the half of it. looking back on it i laugh, but it bugged me at the time.

·
Registered
48 Posts
lineups

Hi Kabby going to stores and banks were impossible for me at one time I could not handle standing in line. The small talk never bothered me because I never made it to the front of the line I would have to leave. Its gotten a little better lately. Dr Richards used to have sa now he has an online course he has handouts that we read in slow talk one of the questions in the handout is.............Why do I let this person have control over me? Hey if someones makes small talk and you answer back softly......who cares so what its no big deal Take care Kabby

·
SAS Member
31,285 Posts
I always got the impression that it's their job to make a greeting, so they probably don't care how your day was.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I choose my clerk very carefully, one who is not smiling or engaging, one who looks disinterested in the customer. I just want to pay for my food and go, say thank you and have a nice day. I think most people are like this, not limited exclusively to those with SA.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I guess that's the good thing about living in a big city. People aren't as warm or welcoming. Most times the cashier doesn't even say a word, even after I say "thank you" while they're handing me my change.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts