Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Google it and the description is so vauge that I really don't get it. Apoarently my bro has it. I believe I will cure him with wisdom, which I know sounds very arrogant. My parents are dead against me doing it. He is not severe enough to be on medication. Just wondering if anyone had any way of defining it in a sehtence or if I should give it more respect and back off a bit?

Merry Christmas :smile2:

·
Banned
1,977 Posts
I have Asperger's. In my case its lack of ability to "flow" socially, inability to initiate and continue conversation, especially inability to do small talk, my body language comes off as too tense and too rigid, my tone of voice is loud and monotone, and so forth. So basically I look weird and I don't even know what it is that makes me weird other than it is obvious to everyone, myself included, that I am weird, which is pretty frustrating since I don't know exactly what to fix. But looking weird is what keeps me completely friendless to the point that I don't even have any acquitances to talk to, no one even says hi to me, much less invite me anywhere, so thats really frustrating.

Also I tend to understand things in a very logical way whereas most people rely a lot more on intuition (well I guess I have some sort of intuition but apparently my intuition grossly contradicts everyone else's, thats why logic is my only way of communicating with outside world as a "common language" so to speak, but other people don't get it and when I try to be logical they don't have patience for that). I also tend to fixate a lot. My current fixations have to do with social issues and trying to understand the logic of just why no one gives me a chance. My past fixations used to be a lot more positive, like for instance as a kid I was interested in predicting weather. I guess the problem with being fixated in predicting weather is that it is out of step with what most people are fixated on (such as sports) so there really isn't much of common ground to connect.

Other people with Asperger might be different though. I couldn't relate to most people with Asperger on the Asperger message boards.

So what did you mean you wanted to cure his Asperger with wisdom? What exactly were you trying to do and why did the family object?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Aspergers is a disordered development of the brain, it means people with the condition inherently think different and perceive the world differently. If your brother has it, I would caution against trying to give advice or try to solve it. It's great that you want to help, but it is very tricky to deal with (often for himself but also for the people around him) so I'd say read up, ask him what is happening, how things are going. If he's struggling best thing a bro can do is be there for him and help going through the motions of things :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, I have Asperger's Syndrome too and you are being very supportive of your brother by wanting to help him. There are no cures for Asperger's but there are ways you can help your brother by being there for him. Asperger's often comes with social anxiety and being around lots of people can be overwhelming in terms of sensory overload, trying to keep up and joining in conversations with others. I say steps at a time. For me, I do take medication to curb my anxiety which comes with Asperger's Syndrome, i attend social activities with fellow people with Asperger's and I am part of an Autistic Garden Group where as a group, we grow fruit and vegetables and other plants in an allotment setting. I also exercise frequently which helps and as part of the garden group, we have autism friendly cycle rides organised by a local cycle social enterprise.

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
Usually marked by poor social skills (missing social cues, jokes, difficulties making smalltalk not anxiety related) while normal intelligence, obsessive hobbies and clumsiness. I guess it can be accompanied by SA as feeling like an outsider and failing in social situations will generate fear of them.

·
Banned
10,158 Posts
I believe Aspergers is when the brain doesnt think in the normal way. But it has a spectrum, some people have it very mild to the point of almost no symptoms at all. But of course i cant tell for real because i dont have Aspergers.

·
W/ a Gun Against My Head
558 Posts
Asperger's is a type of high functioning autism (meaning people with Asperger's can generally function in the world without needing a lot of help). It's specifically focused on perceiving social situations differently than neurotypical people. Therefore, people with Asperger's generally have a hard time understanding social cues and how to express themselves. I have been diagnosed with Level 1 Asperger's (the most mild level and there are three levels). However, I personally think I am more of a level 0.5 (I know that's technically not a thing), after reading the descriptions of each level online.

The most frustrating thing about Asperger's for me is that I have what I want to express in my mind, but when I try to say it, it comes out like ****; it's like being trapped inside myself.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for the excellent replies.

I have promised not to get involved with it. Parents prefer to turn a blind and let my bro have his way. I am usually rather blunt, but I can be gentle sometimes and felt progress the other day just by sharing about how I have overcome SA by identifying past events that led to insecurity.

He has a very obvious thing to be insecure about, so I tried to gently plant a seed that perhaps the scars on his chest from childhood surgery may of contributed to his occasional rage, lack of empathy, doing selfish/awkward/impatient things and rigid regimes.

This was the night after a meal with parents and as always as soon as I speak he speaks over me. I continued the conversation with my Mother and he went into a state of rage when I calmy pointed out why he was not responded to and that it was rude behaviour. He used the f word and called me another unrepeatable name. Which doesn't go down well with our Mother.

Anyway last night he was wrongly very rude and verbally aggessive with me. It was after an Xmas party and I was very drunk. I said the worst possible reply (very insulting) and he went for me. Thankfully I managed to keep the door closed enough. But then Mum got between us screaming and Dad dragged him off. I was calm but it affects my Mum a lot. She is a worrier and this type of worry and stress probably caused her to have a nasty health scare earlier in the year. Mostly worrying about me.

Leson learned. I am only just figuring my issues out. Was arogant to assume I could fix his issue which is completely different.

From now on it will not be mentioned again. I will fake liking him for Mum's sake. Day to day he is just annoying with constant childish talk. So he gets ignored a lot. Hopefully I will be out of the family home within weeks, but I dont think there will be anymore issues anyway.

Thanks again. I learned a lot from the responses. Have a great new year all 😊

1 - 8 of 8 Posts