Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Asperger's and physical pain???

4K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Dylan2 
#1 ·
Hello,

I have a question for those of you who suffer form Asperger's. I am wondering if anyone knows if there is a correlation between Asperger's and physical nerve pain. I have had many injuries to my back and neck: three old fractured vertebrea, six disc protrusions, two dessicated discs, three sections with mild degeneration, and two possible area with spinal cord compression (controversial). My chironeurologist doesn't seem to think that these problems should be causing me so much pain and stiffness. I also have numb spots all over my body, pain and weakness in my arms, and chronic migraines. I can't find anyone who can figure it out. Oh, I also have a strained and sprained neck and the pain and stiffness is getting worse instead of better. Anyway, my chiro did some neuro tests and said that I have a cerebral lesion in the right side of my brain as well...my balance is bad, I have diminished reflexes on the left side of my body and my left pupil doesn't dilate/constrict properly. I don't know what to make of it all...does anyone know if any of these neurological problems are related to the neurological problems of Asperger's? Thanks! Kittycat

#2 ·
Not the physical, organic injuries, no. But the stuff on a neurological level (diminished sensitivity, balance, reflexes, etc)... yes.

#3 ·
The Pervasive Developmental Disorder scale has a few places to mark when a child/person suspected of a PDD injures themself in someway, but doesn't react. From my personal anecdotal experience I can tell you that I apparently have a high threshold for pain and my current therapist tells me I have medical neglect. I get a lot of cuts on my hands at work because I work with thin gage metals and have poor hand-eye coordination and fine motor control and my mom has seen them in the past and told me I should have gone for stitches (which would be paid for by my employer's workman's comp insurance) but none of them concerned me much.

There is also a relationship between injury and serotonin deficiencies in the PDDs to the point that some afflicted people self-injure because it apparently causes a release of serotonin.

#4 ·
Pain and Aspergers

Yes your overfocused brain my be amplifying the pain perception.... good drugs are Gabapentin and most definitively Effexor.......just see if your Dr. wants to give you those,if you have not try them yet.....the Effexor will increase the serotonin level in you brain, which is probably lower you will fill better in two to tree weeks:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.