Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm applying for a job and it wants references. I want to use an internship I had 2 summers ago as a reference. Should I ask the person from that internship if it's okay before I put them down as a reference? If yes, how would I address them in an email asking for a reference? I'm worried that this person won't remember me that well because it was 2 years ago and I haven't kept in contact with them.

How should I address this? Could someone mock up an email for me so I know what to say?

·
is getting over herself
12,022 Posts
I'm all over it.

yes, you can ask. simply explain who you are and that you are applying for jobs and that you would like a reference for this purpose. something along these lines:

Dear Mr. or Ms. Honcho,

My name is .... ...... I interned at your firm from (date) to (date) in the position of ............ You may not remember me, but I remember you and your firm well and I believe I learned quite a lot while there. I would like to use the skills I learned at your firm at a new job, working for Amalgamated Widget (or whatever the place is called), however, to apply I will need a reference.

then cobble that together with the sample letter here:
http://jobsearch.about.com/od/referenceletters/a/email-reference-request.htm

good luck!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Definitely ask before putting them down, it looks bad if they get called and didn't know they were being used as a reference, or worse, had forgotten who you are. I try to call the person rather than email, it's more personal, but I guess email would be fine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts