Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Frostie
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I bought some "Shoe Goo" at Wal Mart. Its a glue type substance you use to repair holes and worn spots in shoe soles. I bought it to give some extra life to my falling apart Vans.

When I checked out, the cashier asked me for my ID. It seems odd to ID check someone for buying glue, but I think the kids sniff the fumes to get high or something like that. The idea that I can still pass for a teenager at 27 was pretty flattering, though. But, then as I was leaving the store, I thought maybe they're required to do this with everybody. I wonder if they even have to check your ID if you're a white-haired 80 year old lady? Can anyone who works in retail confirm this? Maybe I shouldn't get too excited about thinking I look young for my age.

·
dazed and confused
960 Posts
I got carded when I bought wine last week. I've heard they are required to demand ID from anyone who looks like they are under 40.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
many years ago my dad got carded for buying a M rated game at target, he was like 40, games have never had strict ID policies, their are just alot of ***hole employees that like to go by the book and have no mind or common sense of their own.

As for how I feel, well, it makes me very, very angry, and its sort of humiliating. I actually stopped going to certain stores based on the fact that they love to check my ID. I am not talking about regulated products like alcohol or anything, just normal things, like movies and games, that have age ratings but enforcement is generally optional. Best Buy is the latest place to make the list. Its even worse when the person has a hateful and serious voice, which is almost always the kind of attitude these "go by the book" employees have.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I got carded when I bought wine last week. I've heard they are required to demand ID from anyone who looks like they are under 40.
This is the rule I've seen at every gas station the past few years...either under 30 or under 40. Of course, it's not really a requirement, it's just a policy they advertise so clerks can do their job without getting harassed or fired.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
getting all worked up about how young you may look based on having you ID checked even though you are way old enough is nothing, when you over 30, visiting you childs high school a week before it starts for class schedules and finding out where everything is at, and a teacher walks up to you and ask to "let me know if you need help finding anything" like your a student, then that's something to brag about. This happened to my sisters friends mom a couple days ago.

·
Banned
5,875 Posts
I know if you buy alcohol, they have to card you no matter what your age. At least in Tennessee. I despise that, because my license photo has got to be the goofiest one ever made. It's very embarrassing having to show it to anyone.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I am not talking about regulated products like alcohol or anything, just normal things, like movies and games, that have age ratings but enforcement is generally optional. Best Buy is the latest place to make the list. Its even worse when the person has a hateful and serious voice, which is almost always the kind of attitude these "go by the book" employees have.
I think you need to let go a little bit here. Most of the employees don't have a lot of education or training or experience. All they know is that they don't want to get fired, and they're told management or law enforcement could send through secret shoppers at any time to check for compliance. It's hard to guess the age of a total stranger, let alone tell the difference whether they're 17 or 20.

Personally I doubt I'd ever card a 40 year old man, but I see why employees with crappy jobs who are intimated by their management might do so.

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
I get asked for my ID since I still look as I did when I was 17 (I'm told). The last time I got asked for my ID the person actually was pretty suprised I was 21.

·
Buried at Sea
5,104 Posts
You didn't ask why they wanted to see ID for buying glue?

·
Registered
18,889 Posts
many years ago my dad got carded for buying a M rated game at target, he was like 40, games have never had strict ID policies, their are just alot of ***hole employees that like to go by the book and have no mind or common sense of their own.
I've worked retail (in my case, a lottery booth) and we're required to ID anyone 25 and under, even though the minimum age is 18. We get secret-shopped and can get hit with fines if we get caught letting it go. Don't blame the employees - they're just avoiding a reprimand or firing.

·
Registered
10,469 Posts
When I drove a pre 1975 car I had to put a bottle of lead substitute with every fill up. Wal-mart had it in individual bottles so I didn't have to mess around measuring the stuff. I stopped by the Wal-Mart in the town 100 miles east of here to buy a bunch because I drove right by it to pick my brother on Friday from the university there. The cashier ask for my ID. I thought they were either making bombs out of it or sniffing it. I asked the cashier why and she said the DEA was down on them due to kids sniffing this stuff. I thought why in heck would you sniff it due to it they didn't give the stuff away. It cost like $3 per 8 oz bottle. There are cheaper things to sniff like spray paint or glue.

·
Banned
2,331 Posts
I wonder if they even have to check your ID if you're a white-haired 80 year old lady?
In California I saw a man, obviously in his 50's or 60's, turned down trying to buy cigarettes because he didn't have any ID. He got pissed.

Also when I was around 21 I got denied the right to buy alcohol once because the cashier thought I was using a fake ID.

·
Frostie
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As far as being asked for ID for things like glue, its a minor inconvenience, but the cashiers probably have to do it. I'm not too bothered by it. I just thought it was weird because I'm not used to getting asked for ID. I've bought stuff like sleeping pills and cough medicine without being asked for ID. I don't drink or smoke so I don't buy those products that usually require showing ID.

My big concern was that the cashier lady thought I looked young for my age. Looking young for my age is something I would consider a good thing. I'm self-conscious about my appearance and how old I look. But, according to one poster, they have to check ID if you look 40 or under so I guess being asked for ID doesn't mean anything. Oh well.

EDIT: I removed part of this post because I thought it was stupid.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Did you pay with cash, a check, or a card? I know when I used to work in a store, we were required to ask for ID if we were given debit/credit cards or checks just to be sure they weren't stolen. It might not have had anything to do with how young/old you look at all.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Did you pay with cash, a check, or a card? I know when I used to work in a store, we were required to ask for ID if we were given debit/credit cards or checks just to be sure they weren't stolen. It might not have had anything to do with how young/old you look at all.
that's what I thought it was.
I was asked for IDs at certain shops for buying groceries with a credit card.
It has happened a lot of times to me.

It is a very humiliating experience. When you dont mean to do anything wrong.
I stopped going to certain shops due to that.
and sometimes I feel like punching the cashier in the face.

·
anhedonic
2,005 Posts
I work in retail, and we're all supposed to ask for ID when someone uses an unsigned credit card. I don't, though, for several reasons.

·
Registered
389 Posts
games have never had strict ID policies, their are just alot of ***hole employees that like to go by the book and have no mind or common sense of their own.
That's because they don't want to be fired or fined. I've almost gotten in trouble for not asking ID for someone who was obviously 30-something, so yeah...I ask everybody. I get ID'd all the time. No big deal.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts