Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I'm actually writing this from work, I'm so bored.
I usually ask my boss for more work (I'm an intern), but she's away for the week and I'm too chicken to ask my co-workers or my boss's boss.
I'm worried that if I ask for something to do, and they don't have anything, I can no longer pretend to sit at my desk and work.
Any suggestions??

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm sure they can find something for you...that's their job. If they can't find anything then that's not your problem.

·
Buried at Sea
5,104 Posts
If you ask for more work it makes you look proactive and all that good stuff.

Or, you could bring up an excel sheet, fill it with lots of numbers, dates, and colour-coding, and maybe throw some fancy looking formulas in there. I've found that no-one bothers you when you have an impressive looking spreadsheet on your screen, they usually don't even ask questions because it makes you look busy. That could buy you a few more days work-free.

·
Sassy
2,222 Posts
I would just send out an email to your coworkers asking if anyone could use your help. That's what I used to do when my boss had no work for me. If no one responds, oh well, it covers your behind...

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Or, you could bring up an excel sheet, fill it with lots of numbers, dates, and colour-coding, and maybe throw some fancy looking formulas in there. I've found that no-one bothers you when you have an impressive looking spreadsheet on your screen, they usually don't even ask questions because it makes you look busy. That could buy you a few more days work-free.
LMAO! I thought I was the only one that used the 'ol Excel technique.

Do you have a computer at your desk? If so, just fill your time by surfing the net (if your company allows it).

When I used to work full time, I'd be lucky if I had even 3 hours of work in an 8 hour day. I always spent my remaining time on the net or walking around the office killing time. It never bothered me and I actually preferred it that way. I can't imagine working constantly for 8 hours.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This has been a recurring problem. And as an intern, I'm also here to learn, so just avoiding work isn't benefiting me.
I'd like to ask some of my co-workers if I can watch what they're doing, but I don't want to be a pain. Any suggestions for getting more work, rather than looking busy??

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Go up to the boss's boss and tell her that your plate is empty and if there is something you can assist with. I don't think it'd be a problem because many people are simply overloaded with work these days and they'd be glad to use your assistance.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I understand this struggle all too well. I work in public accounting, and I have to keep track of my billable hours. Now that busy season is over, to say work is light right now for me is an understatement...I've gone whole days with absolutely no work to do. But I'm full time, not an intern. I usually spend the time studying for the CPA exam. And yes, I am fully appreciative of the Excel technique..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts