Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in a new city (Vancouver, BC) away from my family. My father lives by Portland OR and is a physician so all of my medical stuff had been handled down there, however my anxiety has been through the roof lately, lack of concentration, lack of motivation, it's almost unbearable. My grades are dropping and I feel worthless and even more anxious because of it. I can't even see my friends! So today I finally grew a pair, listened to the advice of my friends, and went to the doctor.

I explained my situation and past rx's used and what had and had not worked for me. He barely seemed to listen and then told me I was "probably just depressed", I should eat better, and maybe look into counselling, then he sent me out. I was so humiliated. I am very thin and tried to eat an oreo sundae thing that just ended up making me puke after, cause I wanted to gain weight so I could maybe be taken seriously next time. My weight is a sensitive issue and I feel very similarly to how an overweight person would feel being told to eat less when my natural shape is brought to attention as if I ought to do something to change it and it's the source of my problems. I had never seen this Dr in my life but I can't help that because I've never lived here! Now I feel really discouraged from getting help and am back at square one. I've tried counselling but it can be more trouble than it's worth sometimes. Should I try with a different practice or "just get over it" as my Dr I saw today seemed to suggest?

·
SASsy
18,100 Posts
I don't know how the health system works in Canada, but, yeah, I'd go to another doctor ASAP. If that one doesn't want to treat you then go somewhere else. Maybe try a psychiatrist. I get my medicine through a family doctor and he has never made me feel inferior or whatever because of my mental issues. This guy seems very unprofessional IMHO. BTW: Nice avatar. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I'm thinking of going to my college's medical division, unfortunately they're closed until after the holidays though :/ Thanks for the advice...it really felt terrible! haha

·
Loveisloveisloveislove
2,785 Posts
galaxy119:1059508846 said:
I live in a new city (Vancouver, BC) away from my family. My father lives by Portland OR and is a physician so all of my medical stuff had been handled down there, however my anxiety has been through the roof lately, lack of concentration, lack of motivation, it's almost unbearable. My grades are dropping and I feel worthless and even more anxious because of it. I can't even see my friends! So today I finally grew a pair, listened to the advice of my friends, and went to the doctor.

I explained my situation and past rx's used and what had and had not worked for me. He barely seemed to listen and then told me I was "probably just depressed", I should eat better, and maybe look into counselling, then he sent me out. I was so humiliated. I am very thin and tried to eat an oreo sundae thing that just ended up making me puke after, cause I wanted to gain weight so I could maybe be taken seriously next time. My weight is a sensitive issue and I feel very similarly to how an overweight person would feel being told to eat less when my natural shape is brought to attention as if I ought to do something to change it and it's the source of my problems. I had never seen this Dr in my life but I can't help that because I've never lived here! Now I feel really discouraged from getting help and am back at square one. I've tried counselling but it can be more trouble than it's worth sometimes. Should I try with a different practice or "just get over it" as my Dr I saw today seemed to suggest?
Oh I can relate to the weight thing, im a bit underweight due to stress, anxiety and depression and have to gain weight which is hard. I try eating so many different things just so I can but it hurts my stomach. When ever someone says something I cant help but feel terrible about it. Oh and last time I went to the doctors they gave me a form to see if im depressed (which I was already diagnostic with) and did nothing about it <.< pshh even though I said I have major anxiety and depression, they just tossed it aside and led me out the door. Its hard enough for me to even get the courage to see one, now I have to do it again, in due time anyways lol

·
Registered
432 Posts
Definitely try to find a better doctor. There are some crappy ones in this town. They seem to be especially hesitant if a controlled substance could be involved. A few years back I was having severe panic attacks and insomnia from PTSD. I finally couldn't take it and tried to go see my family doctor; he wasn't in that day, so I had to see someone else. Even though I had been prescribed benzos before, and the circumstances certainly called for the short term use of them, the doctor pretty much ignored everything I said and tried to say breathing excersizes would fix the problem. I got in to see my actual doctor a few days later, we changed the medication I was currently on for something else (at my request), and I didn't even have to ask about Ativan, he asked me how many per day I wanted, and said come see me again in two weeks and we'll reevalute you then.

I'm very, very lucky. I got myself a compotent, caring, knowledgable doctor. Doctors like that seem to be a rare breed in Vancouver. Keep searching though, there are doctors that care out there.

·
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
738 Posts
This sounds problematic. I have an appointment with my doctor on monday and I hope it won't be as difficult as it sounds to get them to prescribe something. Then again I can say that I'm already in therapy and that getting meds is something my therapist strongly suggested.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Due to the general negative effects this had on my anxiety I'm probably gonna hold out until my college's medical office re-opens, or even more likely, obtain drugs through illegal means. Hooray. If only someone would help me so I wouldn't have to self-diagnose >___> at least this way is cheaper and nobody makes me feel like an idiot.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Due to the general negative effects this had on my anxiety I'm probably gonna hold out until my college's medical office re-opens, or even more likely, obtain drugs through illegal means. Hooray. If only someone would help me so I wouldn't have to self-diagnose >___> at least this way is cheaper and nobody makes me feel like an idiot.
Just out of couriosity, which clinic did you try go to? If it was one of the ones at Broadway and Commerical, I find those ones suck. 10 months ago I had to get a kidney function test, it came back with some serious abnormalities. I still haven't received a call telling me that. Luckily, here in BC at least, there's a way to check lab results online. I brought that to my family doctor and he was in shock that I still hadn't received a call from that clinic a week later when I made an appointment with him about those results.

·
Registered
120 Posts
While I agree you should find another doctor, as well as, say something to his practice. Bringing an advocate with you (friend, your dad, whomever) who can speak up for you, and make sure he damn well listens is something I've found to be invaluable.

·
Registered
553 Posts
And they wonder why people self medicate and order medicine on online, a big part of the problem is ******* doctors like this. God I can't stand doctors, so freaking arrogant. I find psychiatrists to generally be better, more understanding and knowledgeable but not always. This pisses me off so much hearing story's like this, I can't count the number of doctors I have wanted to strangle

1 - 10 of 10 Posts