Battle Royale
Rashomon
Zatoichi
Princess Mononoke
My Neighbor Totoro

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've always prefer the original asian horror movies over the the americanized remakes, so I'd suggest:

One Missed Call 1 & 2
Shutter
A Tale of Two Sisters

I also second Audition. Certain scenes really do remain in your head for awhile. I'd suggest watching the movie with a strong stomach beforehand.

·
Banned
728 Posts
Casshern (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0405821/)

In the future, in a polluted post-apocalyptic society called Eurasia after a war against Europe, the planet is devastated by the effect of nuclear, biological and chemical weapons. The geneticist Dr. Azuma (Akira Terao) develops a technique called "neo-cell", capable of regenerating the body of human beings, sponsored by an evil corporation. His son Tetsuya Azuma (Yusuke Iseya) dies in the war, but after an accident in the laboratory of Dr. Azuma, Tetsuya revives as the powerful warrior Casshern, while a new breed of mutants called "neo-humans" is generated in the plant. The neo-humans decide to annihilate the humans and raise a new world.

The Host (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0468492/)

The film revolves around Park Hee-bong, a man in his late 60s. Park runs a small snack bar on the banks of the Han River and lives with his two sons, one daughter, and one granddaughter. The Parks seem to lead a quite ordinary and peaceful life, but maybe a bit poorer than the average Seoulite. Hee-bong's elder son Gang-du is an immature and incompetent man in his 40s, whose wife left home long ago. Nam-il is the youngest son, an unemployed grumbler, and daughter Nam-joo is an archery medalist and member of the national team. One day, an unidentified monster suddenly appears from the depths of the Han River and spreads panic and death, and Gang-du's daughter Hyun-seo is carried off by the monster and disappears. All the family members are in a great agony because they lost someone very dear to them. But when they find out she is still alive, they resolve to save her.

·
R.I.P. Do not contact.
1,905 Posts
Yakuza Papers Series
Battles Without Honor and Humanity is brutal! I want to see the whole series but I'm waiting to get my hands on the boxset.

Recently I've been into Hong Kong Category III flicks like Red to Kill, Bunman: The Untold Story, Run and Kill, and The Big Heat. No one will ever make stuff that nasty and over-the-top again.

·
Registered
70 Posts
So many violent, action-type films! I would recommend "Take Care of My Cat." It's more of a drama about really close friends, and what happens to them when they graduate and find that they have different goals in life. It's a Korean film and really good. Another excellent film would be a Japanese film called "Nobody Knows." A bit depressing though.

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
Audition could have been good, but it wasn't. It was pretty messed up.

Battle Royale was weird for the first 5 minutes (like they put the end at the begining), but was a great movie afterwards. I would like to see it remade in Hollywood as an overpopulation/survival movie. But Hollywood wouldn't touch a movie with kids killing other kids.

I have Appleseed Ex Machina, but haven't watched it yet.

There are some other good/weird Japanese movies that I have...

·
calm
264 Posts
my ex was korean and she would force me to watch asian movies with her, but some of them turned out to be really cool.

like:
I'm a Cyborg but thats okay (2008)
My sassy girl (2003)
oldboy (2003)
lady for vegance (2006)

·
Banned
728 Posts

·
Call Me !!!!
4,066 Posts
Battle Royale was weird for the first 5 minutes (like they put the end at the begining), but was a great movie afterwards. I would like to see it remade in Hollywood as an overpopulation/survival movie. But Hollywood wouldn't touch a movie with kids killing other kids.
I'm surprised Hollywood hasn't destroyed i mean remade that film already.

·
Registered
70 Posts
my ex was korean and she would force me to watch asian movies with her, but some of them turned out to be really cool.

like:
I'm a Cyborg but thats okay (2008)
My sassy girl (2003)
oldboy (2003)
lady for vegance (2006)
My Sassy Girl! That movie is hilarious...but also depressing! I can't believe I forgot that one. And I want to see "I'm a Cyborg but That's Okay." Oh, and the American version of "My Sassy Girl" is horrendous. I haven't actually seen it, but I can just tell, American adaptations are never really as good as the original. I mean, why can't they just make up their own movies?!

·
dirt person
2,788 Posts
Hm, "Nobody Knows" and "I'm a Cyborg but that's okay" have already been mentioned...
there's one called "All about Lily Chou-Chou", probably one of my all time favourite movies. it's so beautiful.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.