Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im back after 3-4 years of retirement!! I have returned to my very first MMO.
Unfortunately my account was inactive for so long they deleted it. :(

my new characters on Harvestgain...

Gestapo - 4x battlmage
Stalin the Bowmaster - 3x life spec Bow

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I had a lot of fun with the original Asheron's Call... I've played MMORPGs, but Asheron's Call still stands apart from the competition in that the player's skill is far, far more important than Über-Lewt or high levels.

Only Diablo II shares that feature.

-Ryan

·
SAS Member
14,464 Posts
Kardax said:
Only Diablo II shares that feature.
A lot of people say that diablo 2 is just a hack and slash. Thats true for the normal level, but once you get to the Hell Difficulty, the hack and slash doesn't work so well anymore :um
You need skills...and very good sets :)

I never played Ashron call, but i've read some good reviews about it...I will have to give this game a try one of these days :)

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Gatsuu said:
A lot of people say that diablo 2 is just a hack and slash. Thats true for the normal level, but once you get to the Hell Difficulty, the hack and slash doesn't work so well anymore :um
You need skills...and very good sets :)
Sets are nice, but you don't really need them. My brother and I always had garbage equipment and we killed Diablo and Baal at Hell difficulty many times :)

Asheron's Call (the first one, anyway), had a single feature that added a lot to combat: damage types. It made a huge difference--many equipment and spells were effective at attacking or defending from certain types, but not others. Creatures themselves had their own widely varied resistances. Combat was pretty involved as you might have to switch weapons (and even armor) if you're fighting a mixed crowd.

AC1 was also very fast paced, adding a nice adrenaline factor. It can get particularly intense for mages, who have to balance drains and stat conversions against the need to cast the big offensive spells. It shares the Diablo II characteristic where it's often one player against numerous opponents, which is an important factor for mages since drains work better against healthier creatures...you gotta keep a few in good shape so you can drain their health (healing you), stamina (can be converted to health or mana), an mana (duh). Sometimes, a mage even has to take the high-risk move of converting a chunk of their own health to mana (or vice versa).

Also, it's the only game I know of (again, other than Diablo II), where people can dodge spells and arrows simply by moving out of the way (though some spells and all arrows are fast, and can be very hard to dodge. Certain spells can't be dodged).

-Ryan

·
Registered
435 Posts
have you guys tried dark age of camelot or guild wars? or world of warcraft battlegrounds... daoc pvp was the best... in its prime you would find hundreds of players battling it out on a hillside, for control of a key strategic location... very cool... people took it really seriously, and you needed to know your tactics... guild wars is like that, on a slightly smaller scale.

in guild wars, you get to pick two professions... your primary profession gets special bonuses. as a result you end up with a collection of easily over a hundred skills and abilities... but when you go into battle, you have to choose EIGHT... that means when you face a necro/monk, or a warrior/mage... you have no idea what to expect... also, the max level in that game is 20, and the equipment is rather downplayed. that, combined with your limited abilities, means you have to be really good at playing your character to succeed... also, fights in that game are always really fast-paced... so you need to be quick on your feet, as things can turn around completely in just a few seconds.

when you get to the later part of the game you can take part in the big tournament... it's a world-wide thing, so when you enter it with your team of 8, you will be facing off againts teams from the other countries... and it is very clear about what country they're from... if you make it far in the tournament (which is happening constantly, 24/7), you end up in a fight that pits your team against 6 or so other teams... in a big battlefield... split up by country... it's pretty damn cool :)

·
Registered
435 Posts
Kardax said:
Also, it's the only game I know of (again, other than Diablo II), where people can dodge spells and arrows simply by moving out of the way (though some spells and all arrows are fast, and can be very hard to dodge. Certain spells can't be dodged).
guild wars has that too :) you can't dodge arrows i don't think... which is only fair... but some spells are "projectile" spells, and you can run around to avoid them... some are area of effect and you can run away from that location to avoid them... and some are touch spells, or chain-reaction spells, so if the enemy can't get close, they can't cast :)

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
For PvP, my all-time favorite game is Planetside, no contest. Great battles were rare, but they're such a blast, it was worth looking for one.

A 300-person 3-way battle for control of a base encompassing air, armor, and infantry, both indoors and outdoors, is absolutely intense :)

-Ryan

·
Registered
435 Posts
Kardax said:
For PvP, my all-time favorite game is Planetside, no contest. Great battles were rare, but they're such a blast, it was worth looking for one.

A 300-person 3-way battle for control of a base encompassing air, armor, and infantry, both indoors and outdoors, is absolutely intense :)

-Ryan
how did that game play? was it as fast-paced as most fps? you could actually dodge rockets and things, and lag didn't make it impossible to shoot someone? i always worried about that game, cuz it just seemed like they were in over their heads making it heheheh

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
sadpanda said:
how did that game play? was it as fast-paced as most fps? you could actually dodge rockets and things, and lag didn't make it impossible to shoot someone? i always worried about that game, cuz it just seemed like they were in over their heads making it heheheh
There was basically zero lag (I'm on a cable modem). It was as quick as a LAN game (assuming one could find a LAN game that supported 300 people in a small area...)

PlanetSide, from a gameplay perspective, has a lot in common with Battlefield 2, with the addition of armored infantry. Vehicals are much tougher in Planetside than BF--they can take a few hits :)

-Ryan

·
Registered
435 Posts
Kardax said:
There was basically zero lag (I'm on a cable modem). It was as quick as a LAN game (assuming one could find a LAN game that supported 300 people in a small area...)

PlanetSide, from a gameplay perspective, has a lot in common with Battlefield 2, with the addition of armored infantry. Vehicals are much tougher in Planetside than BF--they can take a few hits :)

-Ryan
hmm...impressive! do people still play it? maybe when i finally get some money, i'll give it a try... the new battlefield has some pretty sweet squad-based things... like the commander that can see the "satellite images" of the battlefield, and tell people what to do and order air strikes and stuff :)

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
sadpanda said:
hmm...impressive! do people still play it? maybe when i finally get some money, i'll give it a try... the new battlefield has some pretty sweet squad-based things... like the commander that can see the "satellite images" of the battlefield, and tell people what to do and order air strikes and stuff :)
I suppose so... they were struggling a bit when my brother and I left. About a month after we were gone, they merged the servers--they went from 6 to 3. I bet that heated things up, like I said before, good battles were hard to find so packing things together must have been a big help.

I haven't played in well over a year, so I have no idea how it's doing.

-Ryan

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
whoa I was looking at Planetside the other day and almost bought it... I used to play over at a friends house... I was always a spy(the invisible guys with the knives) I might get it... what server do you guys play on?

·
Registered
435 Posts
whoah, there are spies??? i played wow and i was a rogue, and it was SOOOOOO fun.... i thought planetside was just an unreal tournament-style run-and-gun, but with bigger teams and more involving missions... damn, i want to play a spy :D

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah its something like that, they use a stealth generator and a combat knife

1 - 14 of 14 Posts