Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a 1st year Zoology major at college and every time someone asks me what my major is, I hesitate to tell them. This is because usually they glare at me as if I just spit on their shoe, and then respond with "that's interesting..."

If I'd said something along the lines of engineering or business, I'm sure I'd be deemed more worthy of their acceptance.

In addition to this, I sense that my family is also ashamed of my choice. In particular, my dad somewhat mocks it, I'm sure he doesn't realize I'm self conscious about it, and when he's serious, he'll insist that I go to vet school and he tells other people I'm going to go to vet school despite me never hinting that I have any intention of that since it's very difficult to get into.

Does anyone else feel like their major is taboo in some way and not acceptable to other people?

·
The Friendly Anarchist
133 Posts
Zoology actually sounds really awesome. I wish my school had that. I probably wouldn't major in it but I think it might be fun to take a few classes. Anyway, you shouldn't be ashamed of that. You could do way worse. I'm just going to stop the thought right there because I know someone is going to get pissed at me if I insult their major.

As for me, I've never been ashamed of my major. It has gotten me several enemies though. I'm an economics major, and because my school is full of idiot communists who don't have the foggiest idea of how economics works, it's not uncommon to get verbally abused or ridiculed when I tell my major.

·
Banned
6 Posts
Do you want to follow an academic career in zoology? I think that would be a great career, I've thought about it but I don't know if I can do a postgrad in it with my undergraduate degree.

·
Riding the Struggle Bus
270 Posts
Hey. Don't listen to anyone. I wanted to study fish in HS and people that I was nuts and that it was a waste of my abilities. In college, most people were supportive of my ecology major...although the other hard sciences were less likely to think my field was challenging (although it is and it can combine all other science fields). Arts/business majors were intimidated when I told them my course load.

I'm getting paid at one of the top schools in the world to study ecology...in fish. Nobody says a word about it now. If you really love zoology, go for it and ignore everyone. Most people will be jealous of your lifestyle especially if you go into research. You could be getting paid to study cool animals all over the world or helping threatened species or maybe working for a local wildlife protection organization. It's an awesome field. Ignore the haters. I did. :D

·
Riding the Struggle Bus
270 Posts
I'm really surprised people glare at you for saying zoology. Are you sure that is what is happening?
It happens...especially if people think the field is easy. There's definitely an attitude some people get when you say you work with animals. It's rare, but I believe the OP.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
That's actually a really good major. Not everyone can be an engineering major, but that's a pretty good major. I feel like they go "that's interesting" because they have no clue what it is!!! You should just say "you know what that is right?" but they might say "yes" just to save face.

I see that someone said that people think the field is easy, how could one think that is easy. It's definitely a lot harder than studying humans (my friend is a "zoology" major but at my school it's just called "animal biology" (or something like that) and she wants to be a vet, and it's so much harder than learning one animal - humans - when you have to learn and memorize so many) it's weird that people look at doctors for humans like omg you must have been so smart, you went to med school, blah blah blah but look at doctors for animals as if they're idiots.

I'm ashamed of my major, because it's declared as an easy one...though I disagree. It can be easy if you do the minimal and take the basic general classes, although obviously it's not as challenging as other majors (although that depends on the person and what their strengths are), but still, everyone has their own place and interests. Not everyone wants to be an engineer. Some people want to act, write, dance, design, etc.

It's sad that people are so judgy and feel superior to others over simple things that shouldn't matter, which is why I have such a hard time telling anyone anything about myself.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I never like telling people my major either.

I say graphic design and they laugh at me.
That's ****ed up and stupid. I don't get what's so funny about that. Especially when you can look around and see the effects of graphic design everywhere. It's not like the beautiful websites, posters, books, etc. just miraculously look like that. Somebody has to do it. Everyone has their place in life. Imagine what the world would look like if you could only either be an engineer or doctor... pretty boring.

·
Banned
600 Posts
I think it's awesome you have a major. I'd love to study zoology that would be epic. I know i could do it but i got some personal stuff i gotta deal with first.

Don't let ANYONE make you feel bad for majoring in anything the important thing is you're learning and getting an education

·
Living in fairyland.
614 Posts
Yeah I'm doing a bachelor of psychology (which was hard as hell to get into) and although I'm doing well and planning to do my masters, as soon as the word "psychology" leaves my mouth I already know the general response.
Just don't worry about people's reactions, it's not their life. Zoology is actually awesome by the way I'm suprised you're getting glares and whatnot.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I'm a psychology major, and it is mostly other psychology majors that inquire about my major, so I usually feel pretty safe when answering. But really, my overall experience of sharing my major with people has been very positive. Most other psychology majors are interested in specifics, and non-psychology majors just generally think it's pretty cool. Only one person has ever judged me. Jackass.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Being ashamed of my major was never an issue for me. I studied sociology in college before I switched to business.

I didn't really have ambitions to pursue a career specific to sociology - I saw it more as a means to another end. I would just tell people I was pre-law when I was still doing sociology, which was true since I wanted to be a lawyer back then. (A lot of people in sociology go to law school, so it's a common route.) Switching to business, I would say I wanted to get into finance.

The major itself doesn't matter. It's what you do with the education.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I wouldn't be ashamed of it, at least you're learning something valuable, right? I would be ashamed if you majored in European Studies, Afro-American studies, or anything with the word studies at the end of it, It's all biased, political BS that tells you how one culture was oppressed and how bad the other one is for oppressing it, and if you happen to write a paper expressing your opinion on how you don't agree that they're oppressed, you'll get marked down

·
Big Nerd
1,131 Posts
That's ****ed up and stupid. I don't get what's so funny about that. Especially when you can look around and see the effects of graphic design everywhere. It's not like the beautiful websites, posters, books, etc. just miraculously look like that. Somebody has to do it. Everyone has their place in life. Imagine what the world would look like if you could only either be an engineer or doctor... pretty boring.
Exacally. I guess they think "art" which everyone calls the useless major. :/
It's way more than that and i'm very satisfied with my choice. It's fun and I like doing it.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Zoology is awesome, that's weird that you get crap for it.

I'm going to major in computer science and linguistics, so I don't know... I heard that not a lot of women get degrees in computer science so maybe people will be skeptical & treat me like a joke and/or child? That'll annoy me, I hope that doesn't happen.

·
AtheistInSearchOfPawgs
1,804 Posts
If the major doesn't make alot of money its frowned upon

that's what happens when u live in a capitalist society where a decent job and wage isn't guaranteed for every citizen.

It forces you to put what you truly love and care about on the back burner to pursue dollars

·
Here Today & Gone 2morrow
13 Posts
My major is Computer Science w/ emphasis in Information Systems. People look at me like "um are you sure you can do that?" when i tell them. At first it upset me but after a couple semesters I realized I AM DOING IT so they can all suck it. I think Zoology is a really unique and amazing major and also very important. I really hate people and how absurd they can be.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Sometimes. I'm a social work major and a lot of times I don't like telling people because of the looks I get, especially from my parents' friends. A lot of people in my neighborhood are conservative and/or racist so they can't fathom why I would ever want to help those less fortunate.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I'm on the fence with my major, thinking of either staying with multidisciplinary studies-special education option, or switching to animal science-equine therapy option. Neither of which are particularly "interesting" or "well thought of", but nobody at my college looks down on me for it (at least, they listen when I talk about it). I think it's the way I tell people about it, because I'm extremely passionate. Plus, I chose my college partially for its friendly reputation, which so far it is living up to. Anyways, don't let them get you down. If you love your major and want a career in that field, don't worry about what others think.

·
The Friendly Anarchist
133 Posts
If the major doesn't make alot of money its frowned upon

that's what happens when u live in a capitalist society where a decent job and wage isn't guaranteed for every citizen.

It forces you to put what you truly love and care about on the back burner to pursue dollars
Capitalism is the reason that decent jobs and wages even exist in the first place.

Anyway, OP, the interesting thing about markets is that all those people that were pressured into majoring in business or engineering just because they are high paying are going to flood the market in a few years. Their average incomes will fall, and then they won't even be high-paying anymore! You can see this happening with lawyers right now. The satisfied people will be those who follow their passion.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts