Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Starlight and moonbeams
20,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, let's name artists who have one album that you simply think is mind blowing. They could have released trash for the rest of their career, but for that one album, they just made magic.

The one album that comes to mind is Chumbawumba's "Tubthumper" album. I've actually tried to check out the rest of the band's music, and been unimpressed. But for the past 15 years, I've thought that album is pure magic. Brilliant from start to finish.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I just bought this album recently, so I'm going to say Shaking the Habitual by The Knife

To be clear, I think all their other albums contain fine electropop music, but it's just not the type of music I'm into, so I was pretty surprised when Shaking the Habitual dropped last year and it was full of ambitious electronic experimentalism with this 20-minute dark ambient track smack dab in the middle of it. I fell in love with this album.

I also just remembered Doppelganger by The Fall of Troy. I love that album to death, but I don't think they ever released anything else nearly as good.

·
Sane
1,334 Posts
Only one that comes to mind is Primal Scream. I liked the Screamadelica album, but everything else I've heard has been pure crap. With other bands, even if I only really like one of their albums, they usually have at least one other decent album at least.

·
SAS Member
Public Universal Enemy
43,346 Posts
This just reminded me that Patrick Wolf isn't my cup of tea any more. Wind In The Wires was sooo good. Lycanthropy was pretty great too. I liked a few tracks on The Magic Position, and I thought the Bachelor was interesting because he got Tilda Swinton on it talking (I thought it was funny how David Bowie is clearly one of his influences, and he worked with Tilda Swinton before David Bowie did :') - also Tilda Swinton kind of is female!David Bowie but now I'm going off track..) but he just sort of moved further away from what drew me to his music in the first place over time I guess.

I went through a phase of being quite closemindedly into just rock and metal type stuff as a teenager, and he was the first artist I'd listened to really in my mid teen years that didn't fit that typical mold.

I also think it was really important that he helped me to find some kind of hope and beauty in England to cling onto, because at the time in high school, things were really bad and all I'd really wanted since I was about 12 was to move really far away and get away from everything. My desire to escape my situation and certain people temporarily manifested in a strong dislike for England, which he helped get me out of through his music. It was often lyrically relevant to not only England, but London, which I lived near to. Even though I never got over my dislike of my home town I was able to find something that I could appreciate in my country.

Sorry, didn't mean to turn this into some kind of blog entry lol...

Oh but just one album and the rest crap? Not sure I can answer that, these days I also tend to listen to whole albums less and often just an array of songs from all their works.

·
Super Moderator
34,568 Posts
REM - Automatic for the People

They had some other decent songs but that's the only album I'll listen to in full.

·
Moron
4,621 Posts

Nobody could tell me what I want, what I really, really want, like they could. And what I want is a new Ipad with the A7 cpu.

Okay, I'll shut up about the Ipad. Amazing what little sleep can do to you.

Serious answer:

The Boys self-titled album.

The best punk rock album of all time in my opinion. Their later albums were alright.

·
SAS Member
Public Universal Enemy
43,346 Posts
This thread is terrible, I'm listening to happy music now. This won't do at all.

·
Permanently Panned
7,900 Posts
Black Light Burns ''Lotus Island''
I tried to get into their other albums but kinda difficult...at least presently.
''Lotus Island'' definitely Blows me away.

·
Member of SAS
1,868 Posts
What comes to mind is Linkin Park's two old albums Meteora and Hybrid Theory. I thought they were golden (and still are), particularly Meteora; that album is stellar imo. And though I wouldn't call their newer albums garbage, they're just not my taste. I wish they would of stuck with their older style but I guess everything is bound to change at some point.

·
By myself, but not alone.
501 Posts
The Sex Pistols only released one album, "Nevermind The Bullocks". It's a pretty solid album. I personally think it's a little overrated, but it's a good album.

·
Looking for an argument
2,347 Posts
Joe Jackson- Look Sharp. Night and Day was pretty great too, but Look Sharp was genius.
You ever heard his jumpin' jive one? That album got me into swing jazz, they're all covers though.
Mine would be Guns n roses appetite for destruction they had a few good songs after that lp, but that lp from start to finish is so classic, i'll never get sick of that album.
Also black metal band Dimmu Borgir lp enthrone darkness triumphant its so intense but the rest of their stuff was pretty bad.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts