Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to make myself go downtown to an art gallery by myself, alone. But I'm going to do it. I don't care if I talk to anyone; I'm just going to enjoy the art pieces... I feel like crap already :(

·
Registered
19 Posts

u can do it. just have fun and remember that you dont know anyone there and act absurd because u have nothing to loose with strangers, youll never see them again

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
An update, so I just put on something and grab my camera, head out for the gallery. I didn't hesitate because that only makes my anxiety skyrocket to the roof. Before go on let me stress this point: Please research your goal before taking it. :)

So I get there, it's a pretty much private art gallery in the office suite turned to exhibition. There were painters from France, Belgium, Africa, and other countries. As soon as I stepped in, I thought to myself what have I gotten myself into!!!! 100 people cramped in a not so spacious area and apparently everyone were acquainted with each other. Not soon after, I was pulled aside by this group of people who turned out to be my parents' friends and as I don't usually ever go out with my parents, I didn't know any of them. So I tried to blend in and met a few people, including this incredibly grogeous girl who turned out to be SNOBBY and a total b|tch.

The event also became an auction and people began bidding which was a bit weird. After an hour of absolute confusion, I excuse myself but not before someone grabs me and invites me to go out for dinner with them (*sigh* old people). Now, here's a guy who suffers from SA and all he wants is to get the hell away from any human contact but being forced to go against the grain. I finally allow myself to be shackled but these group of people and go along with them. A dinner and a crappy bar later I was this close to loose it; just too much pressure. Although I didn't loose my composure but I don't think I really shinned. As the night went on, I realize I'm about to explode and I started become really uncomfortable. So soon after I came home. All in all, it wasn't a bad night but very stressful. Am I glad I did it? I dunno. :(

·
Registered
19 Posts

are u glad u did it? how do i know, but you should be! dam! thats a lot of **** you did for a sa.er. even went and ate with people?! you should be so friggin proud of your self, dude! i wish i could say i had a day like that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
indeed, u should be proud of yourself for going to that gallery man!
Perhaps you shouldn't evaluate the experience in terms of fun, but in terms of number of steps forward from where you were.
I think that if you hadn't gone to that art-thing, you would be miserable right now for evading a possible cool experience. That it wasn't actually all cool is less important, at least you've proven to yourself that you got balls (for an SA.er at least)
Keep it up dude, it's progress !!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts