Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently decided to get into aromatherapy. So far, I've found it to help calm my nerves and put my mind at peace, along with meditation. Lavender essential oil is supposed to help with anxiety, and while I've burned some in an oil diffuser, and it has calmed me, I haven't tested to see if it will help with my social anxiety. I'm positive that it might help, though.

Has anyone else ever tried aromatherapy?

·
Registered
238 Posts
I light my lavender scented candles every night after taking my sleeping medication.
I burn lavender incense all the time.
I have lavender scented linen and bedroom spray.
I have my lavender diffuser

I am a lavender addict.
Aromatherapy is amazing and it is so relaxing and calming. calming. calming.

I love having a lavender bubble bath with the lights off and the candles lit and the incense going= HEAVEN. So calming and at ease

I'm going to have one tonight I'm getting excited just thinking about it.

Try the bubble bath !!

·
Banned
12,147 Posts
Try scented teas too. Just make sure it has real tea in it and it isn't just called "tea". Real tea has a calming effect. Herbal teas don't always necessarily calm or sooth. A real cup of quality tea with a nice aroma is an amazing experience.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Try scented teas too. Just make sure it has real tea in it and it isn't just called "tea". Real tea has a calming effect. Herbal teas don't always necessarily calm or sooth. A real cup of quality tea with a nice aroma is an amazing experience.
I'm not too big on tea. For a while I tried to drink tea with chamomile in it instead of taking sleeping pills so I could get to sleep, but it only made me have to use the bathroom more often. =| That, and I just can't seem to acquire a taste for tea.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I'm not too big on tea. For a while I tried to drink tea with chamomile in it instead of taking sleeping pills so I could get to sleep, but it only made me have to use the bathroom more often. =| That, and I just can't seem to acquire a taste for tea.
Try some a teaspoon of honey with herbal teas to improve the taste.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
I do candle meditations I'm trying to get back into it where you use different colours and scents to influence you I use salt and sage in baths which are supposed to be cleansing and get rid of negative vibes and I love lavender too I've started drinking lavender tea which is quite nice for a herbal tea it's quite a sweet perfumed taste I got a big tub of dried lavender and some other dried herbs I just keep them in my room and use them for a lot of different things.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Try some a teaspoon of honey with herbal teas to improve the taste.
Hmm, I might try that.

At the moment I use an oil diffuser for my aromatherapy, but once school starts I'll probably be doing massages instead, because the campus doesn't allow things like candles and incense. >.<

·
Banned
12,147 Posts
I'm not going to lie. Tea can be an acquired taste. It's subtle. It can seem like you're going through all that trouble just to drink a cup of hot water. You have to make sure that -

1. You have good tea. Cheap tea can taste bad, is often made out of the lowest quality parts of the plant and is often stale (ineffective). Good tea will be more expensive and harder to acquire but is worth it in the long run. The Vitamin Shoppe has some decent tea made by Rishi and Tea Spot if you have one in your area. It's not the highest quality tea you can get but it's much better than grocery store tea.

2. You have to give it a chance. Sometimes you just won't be in a mood for tea and sometimes, L-Theanine (the calming ingredient in tea) has a bigger impact on you than others.

3. Don't try and drink tea right after you've drank something that is strongly flavored (like soda). Like I said, tea is subtle. You can develop a taste for it but it takes some time.

Also, I didn't find chamomile tea that effective either. Like I said, make sure what you're getting has real tea (Camellia sinensis) in it. I used to think tea drinking for relaxation was a crock too but it really works. If you give it a chance, you will feel calm and focused at the same time.

For trouble sleeping, try supplements with Valerian and hops.

At any rate, the reason I suggested tea was that you can kind of get some benefits of a soothing aroma at the same time as you're getting the synergistic benefits of a small dose of caffeine and L-Theanine.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I light my lavender scented candles every night after taking my sleeping medication.
I burn lavender incense all the time.
I have lavender scented linen and bedroom spray.
I have my lavender diffuser

I am a lavender addict.

Aromatherapy is amazing and it is so relaxing and calming. calming. calming.

I love having a lavender bubble bath with the lights off and the candles lit and the incense going= HEAVEN. So calming and at ease

I'm going to have one tonight I'm getting excited just thinking about it.

Try the bubble bath !!
Sounds just like me!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not going to lie. Tea can be an acquired taste. It's subtle. It can seem like you're going through all that trouble just to drink a cup of hot water. You have to make sure that -

1. You have good tea. Cheap tea can taste bad, is often made out of the lowest quality parts of the plant and is often stale (ineffective). Good tea will be more expensive and harder to acquire but is worth it in the long run. The Vitamin Shoppe has some decent tea made by Rishi and Tea Spot if you have one in your area. It's not the highest quality tea you can get but it's much better than grocery store tea.

2. You have to give it a chance. Sometimes you just won't be in a mood for tea and sometimes, L-Theanine (the calming ingredient in tea) has a bigger impact on you than others.

3. Don't try and drink tea right after you've drank something that is strongly flavored (like soda). Like I said, tea is subtle. You can develop a taste for it but it takes some time.

Also, I didn't find chamomile tea that effective either. Like I said, make sure what you're getting has real tea (Camellia sinensis) in it. I used to think tea drinking for relaxation was a crock too but it really works. If you give it a chance, you will feel calm and focused at the same time.

For trouble sleeping, try supplements with Valerian and hops.

At any rate, the reason I suggested tea was that you can kind of get some benefits of a soothing aroma at the same time as you're getting the synergistic benefits of a small dose of caffeine and L-Theanine.
Thanks so much for the tips! =)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts