Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Somewhere along the line I lost my ability to laugh, and became too serious.

I really envy people who have a great sense of humour, and can laugh easily.

Has this happened to you, and do you think it's a side effect of SA? Depression?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Seriousness is great when you can find out why - what motivates you to be serious?

For my case it's the lack of empathy most people often display, that humans are objects that should be used <--- if that's how they conduct their social dealings then I should be serious and kick their butts. They won't learn otherwise.

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
I'm often too serious. I have to force myself to laugh at certain things lest I come off as rude. I also have issues displaying emotions lots of times.

I think it's mostly due to my upbringing, experiences I went though growing up, and my lack of friends or real social experiences.

·
wtf
419 Posts
This happens to me when I'm afraid of losing control. If I laugh or joke around, it creates a distraction, I can't concentrate, and I'm afraid I'll lose my footing. It also makes other's people's reactions to me unpredictable which fuels my anxiety.

Seriousness is great when you can find out why - what motivates you to be serious?

For my case it's the lack of empathy most people often display, that humans are objects that should be used <--- if that's how they conduct their social dealings then I should be serious and kick their butts. They won't learn otherwise.
You know, I think it makes sense. When I feel like people don't "get" me or don't care, it's hard for me to have that "feeling" that you get when you just want to mess around and have fun. I'll have to think about this idea more.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I'm usually too serious due to my SA (I think). When I'm around a serious person I will stay serious. When I'm alone I will sometimes joke with myself and laugh. I'm also able to joke and laugh with my family. I can laugh around a person I don't know with a good sense of humor but not joke back because i'm usually too anxious to think of anything witty to say.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
I'm too unserious. I think I joke about everything in order to prevent myself from having to actually face things. That's when I'm comfortable.

If my SA is rollin' I wouldn't say I'm too serious...I'm not really anything, just trying to get out of the moment alive.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
I don't think I'm too serious, but I do have an intolerance for ignorance, and it probably makes me appear too serious. I never talk about things of which I am ignorant, and when I'm talking about things of which I am knowledgeable, I get pissed off quite easily when others talk about those things when they clearly know nothing.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I'm too unserious. I think I joke about everything in order to prevent myself from having to actually face things. That's when I'm comfortable.

If my SA is rollin' I wouldn't say I'm too serious...I'm not really anything, just trying to get out of the moment alive.
Exactly the same for me. I often think everyone else is too serious. Even if people are comedians or something sometimes I can sense seriousness beneath the jokes. For me there is no seriousness. Luckily I'm able to actually make good jokes and stuff and make people laugh really easily. This is only around people I really know and am comfortable with, or over the internet. If I'm around strangers and in public and stuff I usually don't talk at all.

·
Banned
81 Posts

me too i joke around everything i might think deep thoughts and stuff but come up always joking about everything

·
Registered
8 Posts
I laugh a lot when I am around people but I think that is more a nervous sort of reaction. I smile because that is what is expected. Its like an act.

I am really very, very serious. I think life is a struggle.

I do like humor and jokes but won't go out of my way to find any.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.