Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Lost
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed recently that since I can't stand awkward silences (especially between just two people); that I tend to be the one desperately attempting to fill the silences. I mean sometimes, my mind is totally blank, and there will be no way of avoiding the silence. But others, I'm so intent on filling the gaps that I'll go on about absolutely anything - even if it means talking a load of rubbish and perhaps completely embarassing myself when the other person has no interest in what I'm saying.

I think for me, rambling on about a load of old nothing feels better than sitting in silence, staring into space (or often at the floor). It would feel like the other person can feel my awkwardness; almost read my mind. It'd feel like my SA is very much exposed. And that is simply not an option. :stu

Are you the kind of person who is seemingly always left to fill those ever so frequent awkward silences, or would you prefer to suffer in silence than speak up?

·
subtastic
7,692 Posts
I ramble when I'm with family. They don't listen to a word of it and sometimes just leave the room.

·
Done with SA
1,818 Posts
Not usually.
Silences do bother me, but if I'm comfortable with the person, they don't bother me as much. It's kind of like sharing the moment and not mucking it up with a bunch of talk about nothing, if that makes sense.
If it's someone I don't know or I'm not comfortable with them, sometimes I will over-talk(if I get the vibe that they actually care about talking to me), but I don't usually do it, seeing as I find myself trying not to talk to people I don't know.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts