Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I discovered a new way to nickel and dime credit card companies. I have a whole pile of credit cards and they all simply give a "credit adjustment" that writes off any balance of less than $1 as it would cost them too much to actually bother processing such a dinky payment. Thus, I'm now in the habit of using each one for some trivial purchase and then paying all but about 95 cents or so which just gets written off when the statement is printed up. So I might buy $5.95 of gas and then go online and make an electronic transfer from my checking account of $5 before the statement cut-off date, so when the statement if printed the balance is 95 cents and it's written off as an adjustment. I have to pay Online -- it's not like I'm going to pay for a stamp! (And WinterDave, if he reads this, will surely bring up my "stamp recycling program".)

I think I've outdone myself this time in cheapness.

·
Retired Enforcer
19,113 Posts
You bring new meaning to the term "skin-flint".

·
Après moi, le déluge
5,682 Posts
That's actually a good idea. It's not like credit card companies don't have a million different ways to more than nickel-and-dime us already.

I did an address change online with the post office. If you do it online, you need to pay $1.00 with a credit card. I did this and then promptly forgot about it. When my statement came, I noticed that the company had taken care of it already. Go me!

Have a nice day,
Kelly :)

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
To answer the question asked in the title, no, I am not surprised to hear this. :lol

I must be using the wrong credit card; they never pay anything for me. Of course I havent tried it, maybe I should.

It seems to me that even if they do this there would be some kind of notation of this somewhere that could potentially affect your credit rating? Credit card companies arent in the habit of doing something for nothing, or at least not that I have ever noticed.

·
Poorly Educated
4,912 Posts
I have to pay Online -- it's not like I'm going to pay for a stamp! (And WinterDave, if he reads this, will surely bring up my "stamp recycling program".)
Having received mail from Karl, I can also testify that his stamp recycling program really works. :D

·
Registered
154,233 Posts
OMG - that's what caused our recession. :fall

·
Little Winged One
6,445 Posts
That's kind of sad,but apparently it gives you some sense of fulfillment......so YEAH!!!!

·
Somewhere but not here.
1,802 Posts
Is it bad that I think that that is a really good idea.
Maybe not for the money, but as a subtle "screw you" to the credit card company.
Still I have a bad feeling that it come back to bit you, somehow.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Hell, getting every sixth dollar of gas free sounds good to me.
I only pay for things with credit cards online. I just have anxiety that it's not going to work. Very embarrassing. Little pieces of plastic aren't real money. :roll

·
Registered
779 Posts
Now you just need enough credit cards so that you can live completely off of the 95 cent adjustments.

·
Starlight and moonbeams
20,920 Posts
That's pretty impressive, and it's not a crime. After all the stunts that credit card companies have pulled, it's good to get the last laugh.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Having received mail from Karl, I can also testify that his stamp recycling program really works. :D
That's nothing, Dave. A mere 160 miles to Iowa. I've sent mail to the UK & Australia for free. Australia is basically as far away as one could possibly go from Wisconsin

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
I discovered a new way to nickel and dime credit card companies. I have a whole pile of credit cards and they all simply give a "credit adjustment" that writes off any balance of less than $1 as it would cost them too much to actually bother processing such a dinky payment. Thus, I'm now in the habit of using each one for some trivial purchase and then paying all but about 95 cents or so which just gets written off when the statement is printed up. So I might buy $5.95 of gas and then go online and make an electronic transfer from my checking account of $5 before the statement cut-off date, so when the statement if printed the balance is 95 cents and it's written off as an adjustment. I have to pay Online -- it's not like I'm going to pay for a stamp! (And WinterDave, if he reads this, will surely bring up my "stamp recycling program".)

I think I've outdone myself this time in cheapness.
Ultrashy: Aren't you supposed to be all pro-business? Shouldn't you actually do more to stimulate the economy than the average person?? :?

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ultrashy: Aren't you supposed to be all pro-business? Shouldn't you actually do more to stimulate the economy than the average person?? :?
If it wasn't for the fact that ammo was totally out of stock everywhere, I'd stimulate the economy by buying a 1,000 rounds of .357 Mag for about $400 and pay $15 an hour for range rental to blast away to stimulate the economy.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts