Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i been doing good lately with talking to people. i was feeling fine then my sister was on the phone with my brother who moved away to iowa (all the way from mass) because he met a girl online. and i was in the kitchen and my sister said something to him about me and he responded "is he still weird?" and my sister was like "no he talks to people now" and then he was like "wow he doesnt hide anymore?" whenever people would be over id prefer to play on my computer in the computer room or just stay in my room and read insead of talking with them i wouldnt call it hiding. but now because i heard him say that i feel like crap. anyone take stuff that people say to heart like that?

·
Registered
464 Posts
I'm the same way. But it's more like if I ever have any kind of confrontation with someone, I remember it for a long long time and recalling that memory makes me feel bad. In fact, I still remember the details of when I accidentally made one of my classmates cry back in middle school.

·
nardil user since 2006
339 Posts
hypersensitive, but i blame my borderline personality disorder, which im going to get therapy on on monday

·
Registered
29 Posts
that sounds similar to my situation...i've had a few people , and even family members think the same way about me. It sucks...but If only they could feel how I feel they would understand. That is what irks me about some people... they gloss over the fact that people with this condition don't consciously choose to be this way..but then again if you have the disorder ,it is extremely hard to even explain what you are going through, so alot of times you just won't even bother trying

·
Force of Habit
91 Posts
I have an issue with hypersensitivity, too - made life hell for me at school, and it's most of the reason that I've never flirted with a girl, let alone had a relationship.

The bizarre thing is, I've actually found an occupation where I can both combat my hypersensitivity and turn it into a positive: client service. I did a business administration traineeship in the escalations section of a call centre last year, and good God, was that first phone call terrifying! :eek: But I ultimately found that my hypersensitivity enabled me to anticipate customers' reactions and feelings, and formulate appropriate responses, both on the phone and by email. Having these nerve-wracking customer interactions on a daily basis not only helped me with my SAD in general; it also helped me to develop and utilise my sensitive my side, whilst helping me to control the frantic extremes of sensitivity to which I was (and unfortunately, still sometimes am) prone. It turned out to be something that was a huge source of satisfaction and stimulation for me, to the point where I'm looking to pursue a career in welfare!

Of course, there's the flipside - it tends to incapacitate me in social situations. But the fact that you're sensitive to others' actions and reactions is no bad thing in itself, so don't beat yourself up about it:)

·
Registered
139 Posts
I don't think that makes you really sensitive. It makes you normal. It would break my heart to hear one of my siblings say that about me. I know they all think it and don't understand why I have such a hard time when they have friends over and such~ I know they're thinking it but to hear them say it would be confirmation and that would hurt. But like glarmph said, just more BS from people who don't understand. "Normal" people do consider it weird for socialization to be such a hard concept for us to gain control of. They simply do not understand something that they aren't. To them it's totally harmless, it comes naturally and is something every human being does. They have no idea how scary it is for us, and that it's not that we're "weird", it's that we're terrified and can't shake it. If your sibling(s) knew this, truly knew instead of just being told, no doubt they'd do their best to help you. I know mine would, and they've said some unforgivable things to me regarding my SA and how it's all in my head, how I'm just.. a freak, basically. So yeah, I can understand how that hurt. I think a remark like that coming from our blood relation would just about devastate any of us. He didn't mean it. He was just being a brother-- and human, I guess.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I am very hypersensitive. Sometimes minimal remarks will eat away at me for days. When it's something big, I just break out in tears on the spot. It's so embarassing sometimes!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yeah I really take things to heart, the smallest comment or awkward moment can upset me and I end up playing it over and over in my head for the rest of the day, feeling really bad about it.

It sometimes helps to try to imagine that other people didn't think badly of it, didn't notice it, or didn't mean it as badly as I took it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Same way, it's amazing how quick someones comment, that they may have spent only a minute or two conjuring up, can hit me right at the core so hard.

·
Registered
26 Posts
It's the same with me, something that people would normally shrug off will eat at me for a really long time. For example, just today I was at my friend's work talking to him. He wasn't really busy or anything and he was still working while we were talking, so I wasn't interupting anything. But then his boss came out and yelled at me to stop talking to him and told me to leave. I was so stunned/shocked and I felt really bad that my friend might get into trouble and that his boss probably hates me now and thinks I'm annoying or something. So I text messaged my friend after I had left and said, "I'm really sorry about all that, I hope I didn't get you into trouble." And his reply was that it was no big deal, he didn't get into any trouble and his boss didn't really care. But even now a few hours later that's all I can think about and I keep replaying it over in my head and I feel really anxious about it. And now it will probably keep bugging me all week.
And that is just one of many examples of this sort of thing happening in my life. I hate it so much! I wish I didn't let these things get to me like they do, but I can't help it!

·
Registered
159 Posts
When I was a teen I spent a lot of time in my room and my mom used to tell people that I was a coward hiding in my room. That comment gives an idea of why I preferred it in there.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Yes I'm sensitive. I keep getting annoyed with customer service people by email and getting really wound up by what essentially is not important.

I think they were saying hurtful things to you that would affect anyone sensitive or not.

·
Registered
47 Posts
A few times (when leaving) I have been given an "It was really nice talking to you Jason..." in a teasing, mocking sort of way, from people that barely know me. This is from an in-law relative that I rarely ever see, or from a classmate, etc. One time it was like, "It was really nice...uh...um...it was really nice..." so as to highlight the fact that we didn't talk (and this was done in front of a bunch of people).

Of course I never have anything to say to it, just a sheepish smile. But it sure hits home after I did the best I could with making conversation.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Yes I've experienced this, and yes it does hurt anyone I guess to be rejected or criticized.

I've noticed myself that as I feel more OK about myself, so seemingly do other people, oddness or not. It seems the awkwardness is what makes them feel awkward. I think of it as accepting the possiblity anything could happen, like I could fall down, and just the attitude of acceptance. And it seems to make everything better.

My Mom used to ask me, "Kaye, did you speak?" when she had company, and at least once I barked like a dog. She was very liberal : )

Remember humor, humor is very helpful.

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
Most of the time it doesn't bother me, but if I start to think about it for awhile then I'll get worked up alittle bit from it. Also, from you brother's point of view, your behavior was most likely odd to him, but I think most siblings will find something odd or annoying about each other, so try not to take it so hard because I'm sure he cares for you.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts