Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Are you interested in what is happening in foreign countries?

• Yes

Votes: 47 74.6%
  • No

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Only if it affects my home country (US)

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Only if it affects my home country (other)

Votes: 3 4.8%
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read recently that news reports on US TV tend to focus on domestic news stories, often giving foreign news stories comparatively little coverage, because US TV networks claim that their customer surveys show that people aren't really interested in foreign news.

Do you think that this is true? Would you like to see more reports about events in other countries on the TV news or do you think you already see enough?

·
Registered
718 Posts
I think people tend to be more interested in celebrity gossip as well. It makes me a bit sad though when natural disasters or bad things happen in other countries and very few seem to pay attention or care. I think foreign countries might be more globally aware of the happenings in big western countries, whilst many westerners remain in a bubble.

·
unashamed perv
1,786 Posts
That's the steroetype of Americans - that they're only interested in their own country and are ill-informed and uninterested about any other countries. Having never been to America, I'm not going to comment.

I think the UK media isn't that good at reporting foreign stories - a quality newspaper will cover lots of UK news and only the biggest stories from elsewhere - natural disasters, wars, how many Mexicans have swine flu, what Barack Obama said yesterday... If you read The Economist, a weekly magazine (it calls itself a newspaper, but no-one else does) it gives really comprehensive overview of news in all the countries of the world.

·
Registered
129 Posts
That's the steroetype of Americans - that they're only interested in their own country and are ill-informed and uninterested about any other countries. Having never been to America, I'm not going to comment.
I would say that a majority of Americans are ill-informed and uninterested in their our country also.

Example

The gap between Capitol Hill and Main Street is huge when it comes to the so-called "cap-and-trade" legislation being considered in Congress. So wide, in fact, that few voters even know what the proposed legislation is all about.

Given a choice of three options, just 24% of voters can correctly identify the cap-and-trade proposal as something that deals with environmental issues. A slightly higher number (29%) believe the proposal has something to do with regulating Wall Street while 17% think the term applies to health care reform. A plurality (30%) have no idea.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/environment/congress_pushes_cap_and_trade_but_just_24_know_what_it_is

·
Call Me !!!!
4,066 Posts
It seems foreign topics are only highlighted when it's something that requires the aid of westerners.

Natural disasters, famine etcetra.

·
Registered
10,936 Posts
No I'm not, though I really ought to be. Of course, I don't pay terribly close attention to U.S. news events, either.

I have no excuse or rationalization for my ignorance--it's not a good thing that I don't pay close attention to what's going on both here and abroad. I feel guilty about it, I suppose, but guilt doesn't count for much. I certainly have the ability to make myself better informed about the world, but most of the time I'm just too lazy to bother. Not much else I can say.

·
···---···
3,375 Posts
I don't watch much tv in general, but it does seem news in the US rarely covers foreign news. But I can't say how the foreign coverage here compares to foreign coverage in other countries. I do have interest in news about other countries but I don't expect TV news to provide it for me. I actually think the internet is more useful for this.

·
Starlight and moonbeams
20,920 Posts
No, I'm usually not interested in news stories outside the U.S. Although occasionally I'll follow a news story that took place in a different part of the world.

·
Registered
18,888 Posts
I'm not interested in news of any kind any more. I used to be what you might call a 'news junky', but decided to let it go because about all it consisted of was negative, depressing stuff.

When I did watch it regularly, my answer would've been 'yes' to foreign news.

·
unashamed perv
1,786 Posts
Most popular (ie most read) stories on the BBC News website today:

* Health minister to repay £41,709
* 7 questions on hard words
* Women 'fight off disease better'
* Price split boosts show ratings
* EU slaps a record fine on Intel
* Arrest over 1980s double murders
* Bank sees slow economic recovery
* Boy, 2, dies after fair ride fall
* Depeche Mode's singer falls ill
* Missing... from afar

All pretty much British, or with a strong British connection. Oh dear.

·
Après moi, le déluge
5,682 Posts
All pretty much British, or with a strong British connection. Oh dear.
Well, if you look at the BBC website to see where in the world people are viewing the site, you'll notice that more than half of the world (Western Hemisphere and Africa) are on very light usage. The Western Hemisphere is just waking up. Besides Australia, Britain is the largest area using English, so it makes sense that the "home country" would dominate at this time of day.

Have a nice day,
Kelly :)

·
Born Of Blotmonað
19,290 Posts
For me networks are the big thing in determining what world news you get. Here I find the CTV Newsnet covers mostly Canadian/American stories but will get into the big things as well, disasters, etc. CBC Newsworld is better, more indepth for Canadian/American news & has some decent world coverage to if you watch the right program. The local news hours always have a segment for foreign news but it's usually quite brief.

We get a bunch of American channels with their news coverage but honestly it's all seems more entertainment based the fact & I don't mean celeb stories but just the flash of it in general, the graphics, the reporting style, etc

I do listen to foreign news, I get most of my foreign news from the BBC World Service(Radio) as I find it to be very comprehensive(Same with the BBC World News TV Channel). BBC documentaries in my experience have damn near always topped any other coverage I've seen about the same story

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Same as with our news here in the US it depends on how interesting it is.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Of course I am - I find it disgustingly ignorant when people aren't aware of what's going on outside their country.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts