Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
Depending on the situation I can go either way. I can be a rather *****y person when I have to be; I dont like to let anyone walk over me. But there have been plenty of times I dont say anything and then seethe about it for days. And I am referring to the workplace also. :stu

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
My lack of assertiveness has created a lot of problems for me. Not so much in my home life but mostly at the workplace. How about everyone else?
Same here. I think it also depends on the people you work with. Not all workplaces are the same. The atmosphere in my first workplace was good. When new colleagues at my current workplace were suddenly hostile, I didn't know how to react. Some people will also label you as unassertive just because they or other people choose to cause you problems, even if you're no less assertive than most people. I think it can be a way of blaming you for their behaviour.

·
one day.
110 Posts
I'm not an assertive person so I get treated like crap sometimes and I hate it when people take me lightly cuz of my passive attitude and they know that I wont say "NO" to things they ask and wont stand up for myself so its easy for them to take advantage of my kindness. But its hard because I cant change that, its just how I am :|

·
planning relocation
714 Posts
I have SA and am very assertive. When someone tries to walk on me, I look at it like they are trying to take advantage of my SA. Then my assertiveness becomes aggression.

·
For Fox Sake
797 Posts
i stay away becase i can get aggresive and lose my temper quickly i hav to keep 2 myself to many people are bad to be around for me i steer clear of them

·
Banned
19,437 Posts
I base my assertiveness on how much I have to lose...like if the person's a boss or something. However, as of late, I don't even care that much... one can be a "doormat" for only so long. Heh, must be an age/life experience thing... after so many years, and so many (low) blows, you grow nuggets of steel! :lol
Yep, it's late... and I'm tired. (Can't ya' tell?)

·
Registered
270 Posts
Depends on the person or persons. If it's someone that I think will say something off-color or personal, than I usually shut my mouth - because I got nothing.

"You're 19 and you have no job, high school diploma, girlfriend, friends..."

"Yeah ... but you smell like g
uacamole and shrimp."

That's usually how it happens, so, yeah, I usually keep my mouth shut.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts