Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Are You Ashamed of Your Music Taste??

• Yes, I'm ashamed of what people think of it.

Votes: 55 13.5%
  • No, I don't care what people think. Music is Music.

Votes: 205 50.2%
  • Sometimes I am self-conscious.

Votes: 148 36.3%
1 - 20 of 292 Posts

·
Noona
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am an extremely eclectic person and I love ALL sorts of music. Since I have SA, enjoying my favorite music in public is a bit frightening to me. I'm not ashamed of people seeing my iPod playlists, but if I was driving and wanted to blast my music loudly, I would be ashamed to play some songs in fear people would think I was weird. I like somewhat weird music, like alternative and symphonic metal. I think my race is a factor as well. People expect Blacks to only be interested in Rap and R&B. :roll I even had a aunt make fun of me once because I was listening to a rock song. Anyone have fear of others knowing your taste in music??

·
Quartzfiend
447 Posts
I'm not worried about what someone who is so shallow to judge me unfairly based on my music would think. They're not worth my time if they want to write me off so quickly.

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
Not I love my music taste, that is why I listen to it. I like a lot of different types of music.

·
Banned
3,285 Posts
Nope. I'm asian, I don't listen to hip/hop or that rnb crap...I listen to hard industrial, synthpop, and anything from Germany. :D

·
Banned
1,331 Posts
Not really ashamed, more just anxious about it. All I do is listen to mostly video game or internet music all day (I'm listening to a remix of the Nyan cat theme right now!)

My taste really doesn't help for discussions about me going to T in the
Park or something (I hate T anyways), and I NEVER let anyone listen to music on my phone for the fear that the main menu theme for Arcana Heart 3, or a stage theme from Sonic Battle may rattle in their ears.

·
Be your own hero
761 Posts
Nope, it's good to me...it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, I probably don't like THEIR music taste XD

·
Quartzfiend
447 Posts
Not really ashamed, more just anxious about it. All I do is listen to mostly video game or internet music all day (I'm listening to a remix of the Nyan cat theme right now!)

Park or something (I hate T anyways), and I NEVER let anyone listen to music on my phone for the fear that the main menu theme for Arcana Heart 3, or a stage theme from Sonic Battle may rattle in their ears.
If you can justify to yourself why you like a song through words, you can do the same to someone else. :)

·
Omnomnom...
63 Posts
I actually have no problem letting people know what type of music I like. It's one of the few things I let others know about me. Me, my lil sis and our mum have the same kinda taste in music, and when we go on car journeys we're always blastin' A7x, Bfmv, Bon Jovi etc, haha. We do get weird looks but I really don't mind. When I go out I don't really go around playing music out loud or anything, but if someone wanted to see what I was listening to it wouldn't bother me. :>

I would say don't worry about what others think, but it's not as easy at that with SA. Even if you liked the most popular type of music, someone somewhere would still be able to find something wrong with it. We all like different things.

For example, I don't like Justin Bieber, Lady Gaga and a lot of the music that's in the charts these days, but I don't go around sayin' " Lol u liek beiber hes so gayy, blah blah blah". What really annoys me is the people that think they're better than others because of the type of music they like.

You like what you like, it's as simple as that. Sorry it's so long. OTL

·
Registered
388 Posts

i'm the same way as well lol. i have like that one composition of windwaker music and a random nintendo-rap theme song xD i also have a bunch of japanese songs and somewhat average songs...but i'm very conscientious about people around me figuring out what i'm listening to >_>

·
Noona
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I actually have no problem letting people know what type of music I like. It's one of the few things I let others know about me. Me, my lil sis and our mum have the same kinda taste in music, and when we go on car journeys we're always blastin' A7x, Bfmv, Bon Jovi etc, haha. We do get weird looks but I really don't mind. When I go out I don't really go around playing music out loud or anything, but if someone wanted to see what I was listening to it wouldn't bother me. :>

I would say don't worry about what others think, but it's not as easy at that with SA. Even if you liked the most popular type of music, someone somewhere would still be able to find something wrong with it. We all like different things.

For example, I don't like Justin Bieber, Lady Gaga and a lot of the music that's in the charts these days, but I don't go around sayin' " Lol u liek beiber hes so gayy, blah blah blah". What really annoys me is the people that think they're better than others because of the type of music they like.

You like what you like, it's as simple as that. Sorry it's so long. OTL
I'm quite proud of my music taste as well, because i know its brilliant. :D Haha. People do seem to think its strange when you dislike popular music. I've always hated mainstream music, and it all sounds the same.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I think my race is a factor as well. People expect Blacks to only be interested in Rap and R&B. :roll I even had a aunt make fun of me once because I was listening to a rock song. Anyone have fear of others knowing your taste in music??
Race and SA contribute to my shame of my music taste. Being half black with dark skin, people expect me to only listen to Hip-Hop and R&B. I don't have a problem blasting music from those genres in my car. But when I'm listening to some rock and come to a stop light, I find myself turning it down. I'm really trying to work at being comfortable with my music taste in the presence of others. It's just hard when society tries to dictate what music you should listen to based on the color of your skin.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
no! Don't be ashamed...

if it makes you peaceful/happy :) I like sharing it even if not everyone likes it or understands.

mmmm- new love:

some dub comments are funny though...gotta share this one!

"This song makes me want to strip naked, burst out of my room window, free fall 21 floors, land in the snow, make a snow angel, shiver from the cold, get hypothermia, DIE!, go the pearly gate, say whats up to Saint Peter, do our secret hand shake, look in the directory for Siddhartha (Buddha), find Him, have Him reincarnate me into a frog, meet a princess, kiss her, turn into a prince, order my subjects to bring me a computer, and listen to this song again!"

:clap

·
Noona
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Race and SA contribute to my shame of my music taste. Being half black with dark skin, people expect me to only listen to Hip-Hop and R&B. I don't have a problem blasting music from those genres in my car. But when I'm listening to some rock and come to a stop light, I find myself turning it down. I'm really trying to work at being comfortable with my music taste in the presence of others. It's just hard when society tries to dictate what music you should listen to based on the color of your skin.
I relate to everything you've said here. No one judges Whites when they listen to rap.

1 - 20 of 292 Posts