Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it used to be that i would keep my head down and try not to look at anyone in public. over the past several months i've been trying to look less uncomfortable in public places so i look around and alot...i realize ia m quite an observer...i dont say much or even smile but im always in need of checking my surroundings so i think maybe i look shady or up to something since im looking all around looking anxious...how do you act? is it better to just not look at anyone at all to avoid embarrassment (today a group of people thought i was looking at them or something and looked at me then eachother started laughing)?

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
It's hard not to look at your surroundings when you're by yourself and don't have anything to keep you occupied. I wouldn't worry about those people that laughed. They probably were laughing at something you were doing, but you're most likely not even a thought in their heads anymore.

·
Banned
2,799 Posts
Erm, I think people-watching is an acceptable sport to indulge in, you just have to stop looking when they notice you looking!
Haha, yeah. People just fascinate me. Every time I try to sit on a bench and read a book, say at the beach or something, I find myself looking around instead. I'll read like three pages in an hour lol.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I just don't like it when I look over and someone looks at me, but instead of moving their eyes away, just continue to stare. To me, thats rude as hell, and I will stare right back at the person as long as it takes until they look away.

·
Fitting In Here & There
808 Posts
I have to ask--was this group of people really a group of teenagers? Cuz it just sounded like it the way you told the story. If so, please just ignore them. You know they wouldn't act like idiots if they were alone...

Also, I don't see anything wrong with looking around at people as long as the eye contact is only 1 or 2 seconds. More than that would make me uncomfortable.

Don't go back to looking down. Keep your head up!!

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I can totally relate to this problem, do the exact same thing, I do get really nervous when they stare back though.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have to ask--was this group of people really a group of teenagers? Cuz it just sounded like it the way you told the story. If so, please just ignore them. You know they wouldn't act like idiots if they were alone...
I resent this.

We're idiots all the time.

·
Registered
18,888 Posts
Yep, I'm always observing my surroundings. I people-watch all the time. I don't stare, though.

you just have to stop looking when they notice you looking!
Yeah, if they make eye contact with me I usually hold it for a second or two and then look away (sometimes I'll give them a small smile).

·
dazed and confused
960 Posts
Observing people is even better than going to the monkey house at the zoo :D.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i dont stare at people. naturally if it is a group of people for some reason i cant resist looking over maybe in a paranoid way just bc groups make me nervous...i never stare at anyone I HATE when people do this to me. especially females bc theyre just being catty but i dont back down

also, no they were not teenagers. it was a mom with her teenage daughters....can be just as bad lol

·
Banned
2,799 Posts
Yep, I'm always observing my surroundings. I people-watch all the time. I don't stare, though.

Yeah, if they make eye contact with me I usually hold it for a second or two and then look away (sometimes I'll give them a small smile).
It's cool that you can do that. I can hold eye contact, but I can't seem to control my facial expression while I do so, unless I know the person already.

·
anhedonic
2,005 Posts
I observe, but hate to be observed. I try to look away if someone notices, and I stare back if someone stares at me.

·
Registered
195 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
I do the same thing; sometimes I even get lost because I'm so busy staring at some stranger. I'll spend ages looking at people's clothes and how their hair is done, because I want ideas on how I can make myself look better and more normal (basically, I'm obsessed with my appearance).

It gets awkward if anybody ever looks back at me. Most of the time I freeze up and can't look away. I can't manage to smile at anybody, either; I can only give them my usual frown and a cold, hard stare. It must make me look like a creep.

My friends are always ask me why I'm staring at them, too.

·
Registered
64 Posts
but if u constantly look down everywhere u go, people still gonna think your weird if not weirder...so im waiting on a solution for this as well

·
stillborn
1,764 Posts
Well, when I'm walking around in a public place I automatically keep my head down. I can see around me just enough to not bump into things but I don't want to make eye-contact with anyone. When I'm just sitting doing nothing I look around and observe anyone, but I'm careful not to make eye contact.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I can sit and watch people interact for hours. I find the human mind (espacially the human teenage mind) quite fascinating. I also watch them to figure out why 'normal' teenagers do certain things.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts