Votes: 4 7.1%
  • No, only disgusted by them- I'm a female

Votes: 6 10.7%
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Viva La Raza!
34,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
including spiders, scorpions and other long legged critters that look like bugs.

im not afraid of them but i am disgusted by them. if i see one i wont kill it but i wont touch it with my hands. i'll just scoop it up with a paper towel or something and set it outside

·
Registered
10,520 Posts
I don't like spiders or centipedes. I have big brown wood spiders in my basement and they come upstairs occasionally. Sometimes they try making a web in the sink. Luckily, no centipedes, but back in my childhood home in Iowa we got big ones.

·
Equilibrian Epicurius
1,028 Posts
I have a pretty bad phobia of insects/spiders. It takes me half an hour to get my hands close enough to kill them, and my heart races the entire time. Summers coming up soon though so I'll be seeing a lot more of them, maybe that will desensitize me a bit.

·
Registered
10,520 Posts
I have a pretty bad phobia of insects/spiders. It takes me half an hour to get my hands close enough to kill them, and my heart races the entire time. Summers coming up soon though so I'll be seeing a lot more of them, maybe that will desensitize me a bit.
You can go live in my basement. There are plenty of big brown sipders. :lol

·
Protector of the Den
15,048 Posts
I used to have emperor scorpions as pets. As a kid I used to catch a lot of insects, arachnids, etc. I've always liked mantises. I've actually been talking with my dad about building a glass ant farm. An ant farm would be interesting, but my dad is more interested in ants than I am.

The idea of spiders crawling on me makes me nervous, but not enough to prevent me from doing things in the outdoors. I think it is mostly the threat of getting bit, because I have no problem with picking up harvestman(often called daddy-longlegs). Ticks are probably the only ones that disgust me. I've gotten them on me a few times when I've hiked in the south.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
I'm scared of spiders above a certain size. Not sure exactly what the sized threshold is that makes me go "aaaaaaaaahhhhh!" and run away very fast, but it definitely exists.

·
SAS Member
14,446 Posts
I don't mind them. As long as they dont sting, bite or are poisonous i can let them crawl on me.

·
Registered
10,936 Posts
Male, very afraid.

Spiders (unless they're especially large and/or scary looking) actually don't bother me as much as most insects do. A solitary spider hanging out in the corner of the ceiling won't keep me from sleeping at night. But I dread being invaded by insects.

·
Protector of the Den
15,048 Posts
I'm scared of spiders above a certain size. Not sure exactly what the sized threshold is that makes me go "aaaaaaaaahhhhh!" and run away very fast, but it definitely exists.
I'm mostly the opposite. Smaller spiders make me nervous. Tarantulas don't bother me that much. I remember someone bringing one into my elementary school once and letting us touch it. Smaller spiders interest me, but for some reason I hate the idea of them crawling on me. I have no trouble catching one with a jar or holding the jar afterwards.

·
dazed and confused
960 Posts
I get freaked by flying insects like horseflies or deerflies, when they start dive-bombing me. Sends me into a righteous panic. Finding a big, hairy spider in the house when my boyfriend isn't home to kill it isn't much fun, either. I like butterflies, ladybugs, honeybees and bumblebees, and dragonflies.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I have bad arachnophobia and I really hate centipedes. I don't mind a lot of other insects much, but I won't touch them..except for lightening bugs. For some reason they're the only insects that I'm not afraid to handle.

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
Whenever I first see a spider or another not so pleasent looking bug I'll usually get one of those eww, chill shivers, but after that I'm fine.

·
unashamed perv
1,786 Posts
I voted no, disgusted. There are plenty insects and spiders I like to watch and don't mind haandling, but earwigs, woodlice, centipedes and other creepy crawlies disgust me. I've never come face to face with a live scorpion, but I suspect I'd be scared. I'm pretty wary of unfamiliar bugs I encounter while abroad, too.

·
king of the road
175 Posts
Move to the midwest and you'll soon learn to hate ladybugs. We are infested with Asian ladybugs here... which are larger, stink, and will bite if you don't brush them off your skin right away. They were imported here to control aphids on soybean crops but their population exploded in the past decade and now they are almost unbearable at times.
Man, I hate those things. They smell especially bad when you suck all the dead ones up with a vacuum cleaner.

·
Shauna The Dead
6,389 Posts
scorpions I'd be terrified of. I'm terrified of wasps/bees/stinging bugs and ugly creepy bugs like crickets, grasshoppers, locusts, etc. And huge spiders but I'm just disgusted by some bugs

·
Registered
10,520 Posts
Ladybugs are cute. Most insects are gross but I leave them alone.
My parents get tons of Asian lady bugs. They get in the house and cover the whole ceiling. You know that they bite. I never knew that. My brothers wife hates them. She was freaking out the last time she visited. Luckily, I don't have them in my house yet. I don't know where they came from. I never seen them when I moved up here 13 years ago. They must of migrated north.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts