Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Same here. Even a straight-forward task becomes complex when I feel I have eyes on me, judging everything. It's just led to avoidance of doing things in front of people. A particularly bad situation will be if someone demonstrates how to do something and then you have to do it, especially if it's in a class/with a group of people. It just gets overwhelming trying to do that task perfectly whilst worrying what everyone will think if you screw anything up. I now have this strong belief that I'm no good at doing anything with my hands or anything practical so the avoidance is pretty high. I guess just working on banishing the negative thoughts and not blowing things out of proportion in these situations is gonna improve it.

·
Dancing on my own
1,665 Posts
I work. Since I was 17 for my dad's company. It's better because he knows my issues and it's not as much pressure as going to work for a stranger who can't/doesn't care to understand.

559 Posts
OMG...This is so ME!

I want to know if other people are able to function normally when asked to do certain tasks. Personally, I haven't been able to do it. My anxiety is bad to a point where I can't even wash a dish in front of someone without being too nervous that I'm doing it wrong. When I'm by myself I have no trouble because there is nobody there to judge me, but having someone looking over my shoulder, and yes people have done this before, makes me 10x nervous to the point where I can't even function. I think a lot of that comes from the fact that I was criticized a lot as a child for "messing up" things.
Aww! :squeeze OP don't let it get you down. I felt the same many times at past jobs as well as my current one, especially when it comes to handling cashier duties. Although I'm not particularly awful at math, I still am afraid I'll totally f up...and then I sometimes do make little mistakes here and there that make me feel that I am in fact incompetent due to my nervouseness...I guess I sorta psyche myself out. Similarly to you, this usually occurs when I am clearly being critiqued/watched by a manager figure at work and are scared of what they'll think of me. I also think this issue may have stemmed the constant criticism I have experienced since childhood for not doing some things to people's liking, or for some reason never being seen as good enough. It doesn't help I was often mocked too whether I was doing good or not.

Not really, I mean im so nervouse becouse someone is watching me that I start doing things wrong....., and really slow.......
Same here! This is totally me in this situation. I'm so afraid I'll seem incompetent that I actually look incompetent, and it doesn't help that sometimes I tend to make mistakes to only encourage this thinking when I worry. It's a vicious cycle that feels impossible to break.

·
Registered
29 Posts
yeah.. im a call center rep... wrong buisiness for me-- constantly nervous- but it pays good so i deal with it- barely
Hang in there. If anything that is a great job to have to constantly be forced to deal with your SA, and be able to practice on new people everyday. Better than being completely alone at a desk talking to no one, then you won't make any progress.

559 Posts
Hang in there. If anything that is a great job to have to constantly be forced to deal with your SA, and be able to practice on new people everyday. Better than being completely alone at a desk talking to no one, then you won't make any progress.
I'd rather a cozy, isolated desk job than where I've had to work any day! :boogie

559 Posts
yeah.. im a call center rep... wrong buisiness for me-- constantly nervous- but it pays good so i deal with it- barely
Ooooh! That's brutal! Ya, I had my own call centre work experience years ago and it sucked a**. One of my worst jobs ever (and I've had a lot of crappy jobs)! I was working telesurveying and people were so rude! They would cuss you out, hang up on you in the middle of your sentence, and make obnoxious remarks about the way I talked, asking things like, "Do you even know how to speak English properly?", because I would stutter sometimes due to my nervousness or talk fast. It definitely took a toll on the self-esteem. It's nice to see you're at least paid well, because I sure wasn't. Not for me...never again!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I work in a trade so I get to stay busy with my hands all day, actually work is one of the places I can go, stay focused, and get things done. I had an office job a few years ago and it wasn't terrible but for sure more nerve racking than being in the field. Especially dealing with customers.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I worked as a dishwasher/food prep/line cook for around 2 years. Sure, I got nervous when my boss(es) would watch me work, because I didn't want to screw up infront of them and get called out for it, but when you make a mistake (as long as it isn't constantly) then you learn from it.

I used to be extremely slow at my job and they were going to fire me, but I picked up the pace and they were impressed. They tell me that they want me to go work there again, but I have different plans in mind.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I work in a customs brokerage office. The odd thing is if I'm focused or angry I seem to be okay and since most of the time I'm one or the other I'm fine. But a lot of the time if I get too upset I need to leave the office and get some air. If I have to go to another department to ask someone a simple question, though...

·
Custom User Title
4,231 Posts
Yes, it's hard. The first six months-year were literally torturous, but now I'm fairly comfortable, competant, have a skill set that is universal and adequately paid.

Work hard, don't give up, do things to the best of your ability and the reward will be in the task itself.

It's amazing how little time to concentrate on your insecurities you have when you're doing a good job.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
I hated my call center job. I often cried on the way to work. It was brutal. I think I lasted six months. I was always nervous - hated taking that new call. Sorry, I'm probably not helping you! Just wanted you to know that I can relate.

I look for more behind the scenes jobs. The job I have now started out as data entry based but now they are pushing us to be more customer service friendly i.e. taking phone calls, meeting with clients at out front desk when there's a problem.

·
Banned
1,312 Posts
I work but anxiety definitely gets in the way. There's a lot of people at the job that apparently don't like me, I'm pretty sure they're just envious. Especially the girls. Anyway, I work in a food court and I deal with a lot of people a day. Coworkers are very gossipy, it's worse than high school let's say. Sometimes I feel too grown up for this kind of ****, even with anxiety. It's a very unprofessional atmosphere and the coworkers I get along with agree with me. Anyway, I just look at it as a ****ty job I'll get my *** out of pretty soon after I'm done with college.

·
Banned
3,285 Posts
I work because I have to. Business chat doesn't bother me because I know I'm supposed to chat while I work, but after-work I'm a quiet shy guy. Even I can't talk about my work much to people, and manage to say a few words here and there.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
No work for me either.. same troubles here :roll I can't imagine I'll ever be able to keep a job for more than a month. I couldn't even write the date correctly when signing into an office because the receptionist was watching haha.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts