Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
She-Wolf
5,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(seroquel, for me). i mean... the usual meds you take before bed that make you extremely drowsy. can you/do you take them on occaisons where you don't have a bed to pass out in for 8 hours?

i might be taking a train soon and it would go from 5:30pm to 8am. i assume i wouldn't have a nice bed where i can get all cozy so the idea of having to take my seroquel throughout the trip intimidates me a little. it usually really really knocks me out, but for two years i was on 200-300mg and right now i'm going down to 50mg (75 now). so i might be able to do it... and the dose could be just enough to get some rest but not be so knocked out that i can't get up if i need to.

when i would travel in the past and would have to take two long flights and transfer for several hours i would just skip my med since it wouldn't' be very convenient to get knocked out for 8 hours in an airport waiting for my next flight without being able to move. but whenever i skip it, the next day my mood drops so bad and i get crazy depressed and suicidal. (when i went to amsterdam, and had a great time, i skipped my dose the last night.. didn't get a wink of rest, but i felt fine until a couple hours into the plane ride when i started thinking about how great it would be to cut my throat once i got home, and as the plane was landing i was hoping that it would just crash and everyone else would survive but me. haha. maybe it was also from learning so much about van gogh over the whole trip and thinking about his suicide).

·
crazy
2,067 Posts
seems like it would be alright - actually it might be good, because it would make you sleep through the not-extremely comfortable train seats. i did a trip from austin to seattle via chicago once, and despite all the leg room, the chairs weren't very comfortable. being knocked out would have made it a bit nicer.

·
Banned
1,376 Posts
seroquel, an older antipsychotic is totally unsuitable for SA, but still prescribed by some older docs

·
Registered
13 Posts
Seroquel

I take seroquel at night and it knocks me out.It doesn't keep me asleep. I have a tolerance for it so my dr. has to give me higher doses, often. I get so anxious I can't lay down and even try to sleep. I have to be knocked out. I like it! :um

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
I take seroquel at night and it knocks me out.It doesn't keep me asleep. I have a tolerance for it so my dr. has to give me higher doses, often. I get so anxious I can't lay down and even try to sleep. I have to be knocked out. I like it! :um
You could try Remeron (Mirtazapine) or Trazodone instead of an atypical antipsychotic like Seroquel which can have severe (long-term) side effects.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts