Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I think back on my life, I feel like I have quit at so many things. I have quit jobs, classes, clubs, music lessons, therapy, and volunteer opportunities. Most of these things I ended up doing for just a few days, decided I didn't like it, and quit. I'm sure a lot of it has to do with social anxiety. So do you feel like you have quit far too many things before even giving them much of a fair chance?

·
Geese
20,768 Posts
I used to, but it was that exact thought of looking back and seeing the opportunities I had let go which pushed me to overcome a lot of my issues. I think if you can turn around these thoughts and use them as a weapon against SA, they can be very powerful.

·
learning...
663 Posts
When I think back on my life, I feel like I have quit at so many things. I have quit jobs, classes, clubs, music lessons, therapy, and volunteer opportunities. Most of these things I ended up doing for just a few days, decided I didn't like it, and quit. I'm sure a lot of it has to do with social anxiety. So do you feel like you have quit far too many things before even giving them much of a fair chance?
Yes, this is absolutely true in my case. I have quit so many jobs because of anxiety. My biggest regret and the worst decision of my life was quitting school half-way through my A-Levels (I was always good at passing exams, so if I had stayed there I would have gone on to university and had more options and experience by now), entirely because of SA.
There are loads of other things I've quit or turned down too. 6 months ago there was an art exhibition in London that collected the works of several artists from around the world. The guy who arranged it, who is from Germany, required my help (it's a long story, but basically we corresponded entirely by email, which I'm fine with even though I still get anxious when emailing people). I did everything I could, for which he seemed grateful. Anyway, the opening night came, every one of the artists whose work was on display were going to be there (most of whom I admire and would love to have met), and I was given an invite. In the months leading up to this I just told myself I would drink enough alcohol beforehand to handle it without being drunk, but predictably the night came and I was just too anxious to go. It may have been a great opportunity and lead on to all sorts of things but yet again I quit.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Yes.. i definately hold back on many everyday things, because of anxiety problems.. last night i was invited to a social gathering were a load of people my age hang out, but i couldn't bring myself to go..instead i went on a walk along the prom.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I'm more of a non-starter so it's like I quit before I even try. I wish I were invisible so I could take more classes/clubs.

·
Spread Your Wings
1,512 Posts
yeah i'm a chronic quitter in school. I used to quit my dance club just after like a few days practice and the group went on to win a gold medal. Haha, how sad..

And now, i'm actually bored of my school because I've been stopping school for so long and jobs too, I quit whenever my mind gets too cloudy.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
It wasn't so much that I quit things, I didn't try them.
Now, I am not quitter by any means.

·
Banned
196 Posts
hmm... I generally quit things when they become too difficult to deal with, but I've realised that this is due to anxiety. I have a strong will to battle through my internal problems, but sometimes I just can't deal with external circumstances, because they add too much pressure on top of what I already have.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I have quit just about everything. Some of it was because of SA, others just because I was lazy or lost interest, or at least that's what I thought but the more I think about it, the more SA seems to play a part in my quitting. I quit ballet lessons a few weeks after starting them when I was about 3 or 4. Then I tried tap dancing about 10 years old, then quit after a few months. A few years later I did tap and modern dancing and actually did exams in them but then quit after a bit over a year, partly because I didn't feel like I belonged with the group of friends I went to classes with. I quit flute and violin lessons whilst doing GCSE music which I got told off for by the teacher but part of the reason was because when year 11 started, both my music teachers quit and the new ones were men which I just wasn't comfortable with.

I quit sixth form because I felt left out and it was too hard so I went to college but I quit that because I was depressed and still made no friends so I went back to sixth form! And then I quit the first uni I went to after a couple of days, went to one near home, quit that after a few months! Then at the uni I managed to do a degree at, I changed my course so many times. I signed up for ladies football and quit after one meeting. I signed up for people and planet and never went to one meeting!

I fail at life :/

Though in the end I did get my a levels and degree but they are good for pretty much nothing and I missed so many opportunities along the way. I even quit an evening classes I signed up for in September, managing one class and losing out on a lot of money.

I feel so great about myself now. Not. Oh well I'm just about to go to the gym which is the only thing I haven't quit. Yet.

·
Banned
302 Posts
I don't usually quit really important things like jobs or school due to anxiety (even though my anxiety gets really bad in these situations), but I have quit things like sports, social meetings/groups etc when I don't see success right away. Often, I think if I had given it a fair chance, I would have eventually seen success.

·
ISFJ
1,473 Posts
Now that I think about it... Yes I am a quitter.

Music, Swimming, Scouts (which I absolutely loved), Karatae, Astronomy Club, Going to Church, Relationships... I wish I could just live a humble quiet life.

I guess nothings stopping me, I just don't enjoy other people's opinions on the matter. They can be so harsh.

I believe in multiples lives as a soul. I've been told I'm eccentric, and that I have an old soul. Which means I've already experienced life and now just want to take it easy. That's just what I was told... Make me feel comfortable anyways.

·
Extreme Racing Driver
39 Posts
no

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ha, this is so sad to admit, but I know some or most of you will understand: I quit college solely because you needed to take a Public Speaking course to graduate. I went for three years, made Dean's List three semesters, and dropped out because I was terrified of the Public Speaking course.

Hooray for SA! Ugh.

·
Your Assumptions
7,027 Posts
Generally the opposite; I remain in unhealthy situations far too long. However, I would "quit" university multiple times--running out of labs, talks, meetings, and exams--but end up returning another day.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I am a quitter in some ways. I quit my first job after 4 days...but to be fair I couldn't understand my boss (he was chinese) and he also had anger management problems. But quite often I follow through on my unpleasent situations.

·
herp derp
2,347 Posts
It's more to do with the fact that I get very easily bored/soon fail to find the "point" of things after a time (I'm pretty suer I have ADD so this may be why)

I hate to admit it but yes - sometimes due to a lack of motivation (particularly whilst doing my GCSEs), most due to boredom (I did some volunteering work before at a charity shop and frankly, it was one of the most boringest things I have ever done in my life), when something gets vastly too hard or too complicated even after many attempts/prolonged time of not "getting it" and there are probably one or two times when I quit due to anxiety.

And ditto this:
I don't usually quit really important things like jobs or school due to anxiety (even though my anxiety gets really bad in these situations), but I have quit things like sports, social meetings/groups etc when I don't see success right away. Often, I think if I had given it a fair chance, I would have eventually seen success.

·
In hiding
1,455 Posts
Definitely. I not only have SA but a family that has the 'quitting is easier' attitude with a lot of things. I quit school, then did some school via correspondence which eventually led to going into the centre. It was a lot like school there and I found it just as terrifying as being in a real class room. I quit that too. I didn't even do it from my own home anymore, I just quit the whole thing.

I think you might even say that I've 'quit' a lot of friendships too. There have been plenty of people I could have held onto but have let very easily slip away. I feel like it's my fault for not making the effort to stay in their lives. So in a way I 'quit' them, right?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts