Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Are you a feminist?

• Yes!

Votes: 81 29.8%
  • I don't use the label "feminist," but support gender equality.

Votes: 108 39.7%
  • I'm not sure.

Votes: 9 3.3%
  • Not really.

Votes: 23 8.5%
  • No!

Votes: 51 18.8%
21 - 40 of 252 Posts

·
c'est moi
5,889 Posts
Yes, I am a feminist. I don't see why women can't have equal rights. The term "feminist" is not to be confused with "women's (or perhaps more accurately womyn's) liberationist". I think men should have equal rights too.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
yeah, im a feminist, i think women should be put in charge of everything

·
Registered
344 Posts
I support feminists on specific issues, but will not give feminism generic support because the movement goes off the deep end sometimes.

·
roarrrr
4,876 Posts
I don't understand the second option. It's like saying, I'm not a Christian but I believe in Christ as our Lord and Saviour. It makes no sense. If you support gender equality then technically, your a feminist.

·
triumph of stupid
1,006 Posts
I like Drella's answer.

I just want to be able to have the opportunity to do what I want in life, without being told that I can't merely because I'm a woman and it's not my "place". And I wish the same for men! I don't agree with prescribed roles for men and women, based on gender, race, or whatever.

If a woman out there longs to be a stay-at-home mom with a breadwinning husband, and the husband is completely down with that - hey, more power to you! I would only wish such a couple the best in life. But if there's a woman out there who longs to have a career (regardless of whether or not she also wants or has children), then people should support her. I am a woman with a career. And I'm a woman who chooses not to have children for personal reasons. And I only ask that people respect my right to make those choices for myself and not "bring me down" because of it.

Maybe I'm rambling. I agree in equal opportunity for all.

Also, I hesitate at times to call myself a feminist exactly because of the negative connotations, and because there are so many variations to feminist beliefs (from mild, to the extreme "man hater" end of the spectrum) that someone will never be able to know what my own personal feminist beliefs are merely by me labeling myself as "feminist".

But in the traditional sense, yes, I am a feminist.

Why can't we all just get along? :b

·
Du
553 Posts
I don't understand the second option. It's like saying, I'm not a Christian but I believe in Christ as our Lord and Saviour. It makes no sense. If you support gender equality then technically, your a feminist.
There are many people who share the same god as you but don't follow the religion and such. They might also believe in a higher power and not any religion as well.

·
triumph of stupid
1,006 Posts
This seems like as good a place as any... 8)
(This doesn't mean I'm a Marxist Feminist. I just find the t-shirt amusing.)

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
I guess I consider myself to be a feminist. I'm not a man-hater, or someone who wants to remove the rights of men. I just think people should be able to do whatever makes them happiest without worrying about what other people might say about it. The notion that women "feel undervalued in their place" is a pretty bold statement. Plenty of women are fully satisfied with where they are in life. Some women choose to enter fields in which women are stigmatized, but it's their choice to attempt to make it in a "man's world," so to speak. If they have the brass to go for what they want despite the stigma, they can take feeling undervalued, and perhaps even come out stronger because of it. To me, men who feel threatened or insulted by women's presence in those areas are most likely insecure. I can think of no other reason to even care. Men who want women who are submissive go for that type of woman; men who prefer independent women go for the opposite end of the spectrum. So, I don't see why men should ever feel "useless" in their roles; the responsibility is on the individuals to choose the relationship dynamic that suits them. And if a man chooses to abandon his children, his own issues (whatever they may be) are the cause, not the woman. To me, blaming feminism for the decisions some men make is a cop-out from personal responsibility. My opinion is that if a man decides to be in a relationship with a woman who desires complete social equality, he has absolutely no grounds to complain about it. If that's not what he wants, he can find someone who better suits him. Or, you know, figure out that there are more troubling things in life than your wife/girlfriend wanting a career for herself. But maybe it's just me. Maybe it's Maybelline.
Agreed :yes Great post.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
I feel simply that all human beings should be afforded equally the opportunity to live as they choose and pursue whatever makes them happy (so long as it does not harm others in the process.) I don't really know what 'label' that would make me, so I chose the second option :stu.

·
(.*?)
6,656 Posts
I consider myself an individualist. Gender roles on the whole annoy me, whether they're for men or women... of course people have a right to choose those roles, but there's excessive pressure.

In practice I usually agree with feminists on issues, but I feel it's very important I don't use that label because my position isn't about helping women only -- it's about ensuring that every individual, male and female, can deviate from normal roles to pursue what they want to pursue. Gender roles cause more problems for women, but they also cause plenty for a lot of men, and there's no reason why we should selectively only fix the female side of the problem -- and in fact, it's probably much more effective to fix the root problem to the benefit of all instead of just patching the symptoms that affect women.

·
absurdinista
3,011 Posts
I would call myself a feminist because I have read on the issue and easily see its relevance. I would be in favor of a new name for feminists only because of the bad rap the word 'feminist' recieves, but until a new movement emerges that is what I will refer to myself as.

Feminism to me is the equal/fair treatment of BOTH genders.

·
Ambassador of Hugs
2,787 Posts
In practice I usually agree with feminists on issues, but I feel it's very important I don't use that label because my position isn't about helping women only -- it's about ensuring that every individual, male and female, can deviate from normal roles to pursue what they want to pursue.
^Being a feminist in no way prevents you from supporting the rights of non-female members of the population.

Additionally, the second option on this poll is absurd and misleading. If you support equal rights for all genders, you are a feminist. All the various negative connotations which have been piled onto the term over the years are, without exception, straw men entirely unrelated to the stated goals and ideals of the feminist movement.

·
Registered
427 Posts
^Being a feminist in no way prevents you from supporting the rights of non-female members of the population.

Additionally, the second option on this poll is absurd and misleading. If you support equal rights for all genders, you are a feminist. All the various negative connotations which have been piled onto the term over the years are, without exception, straw men entirely unrelated to the stated goals and ideals of the feminist movement.
:high5

Yes, I'm a feminist. That's probably pretty obvious. :b
I just can't stand the idea that feminists are all man-haters. I know very few feminists in real life to begin with and none hate men or wish for women to be superior. I stand up for men often, but because I use the f-word to describe myself, I'm dismissed as a man hater. And, in fact, I've noticed that the people that put men down usually don't consider themselves a "feminist." I don't understand why the people that want women to be treated equally to men constantly have to prove themselves. Did/do civil rights activists get accused of hating whites?

·
...and drowning
214 Posts
Yes you can call me that, but I don't care about specific names and labels. Although I have very strong beliefs about a myriad of topics, many of which would probably be taken as "feminist".

·
Banned
38,431 Posts

·
Penguin
4,506 Posts
No, I despise feminism.

To me it appears to be an ideology which steroetypes all males as part of some malevolent patriarchal conspiracy aimed at surpressing women's rights, and sterotypes all females as the weak, submissive victims of men.

Femnists also tend to do this thing whereby when a woman does something they don't like they accuse her of "betraying the sisterhood" as if all women are somehow part of the same ideological perspective.

The last complaint I will write here is that it is a somewhat self-contradictory ideology which calls for equality for women on the one hand, and yet recognition of women's differences from men on the other - one cannot have both.

Egalitarianism is one thing, feminism is another entirely.

21 - 40 of 252 Posts