Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Are you a feminist?

• Yes!

Votes: 81 29.8%
  • I don't use the label "feminist," but support gender equality.

Votes: 108 39.7%
  • I'm not sure.

Votes: 9 3.3%
  • Not really.

Votes: 23 8.5%
  • No!

Votes: 51 18.8%
1 - 20 of 252 Posts

·
Prozac!
751 Posts
I don't consider myself one, but I of course believe in equal rights for women. I just think it goes too far sometimes...

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
I don't like the label feminist because it has a lot of negative connotations associated with it which I do not agree on.

I think my view is pretty individualistic and I don't agree on the whole ban this and that.
But what I diagree with the most is how feminism tends to label women as victims even when they're not or someone stupid who doesn't know her own good.
While men are always the perpetrator who takes advantage of women.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Nope, those chicks need to get back in the kitchen. ;)

In all seriousness, obviously I support women in every way, but no I wouldn't call myself a feminist.

·
Spectacular Member
21,089 Posts
I believe in equal rights for all human beings. No one being treated any better than anyone else, no man above woman and NO woman above man either. Discrimination sickens me.

·
dirt person
2,788 Posts
^.... and it goes WAY too far sometimes... to our detriment and that of men.
I'm just interested... In what ways do you think it goes "too far"?

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
No.
I do my own laundry.
I do my own housecleaning.
I do my yard work.
I do my own gardening.
I do my own shopping.
I bring home the bacon and fry it up in a pan.

·
SAS Platinum Member
1,188 Posts
No, I'm not a feminist. You wanna be feminist? Ok, fine, could you get that pickle jar off the top shelf and open it for me?

·
Hospital Waste
40 Posts
I have a lot of fear about stupid little things, but there is one thing I'm not afraid of, and that's the "f" word. Yes, I called "feminism" the "f" word.

It seems like a lot of people are afraid of the stereotype of feminism that has been propagated in the media. Blame it on the second wave. While I support equal rights across the board, I also embrace my sexuality and my freedom to choose what I do with my body. I don't completely reject second wave feminism, but I agree more with the third wave, which loosely defines feminism.

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that feminism isn't one thing. It's not always a bunch of man-hating lumberjack-looking lesbians who burn bras. (Bra burning is a myth anyway.) It's not always the militant women that Rush Limbaugh called "feminazis." Feminism is different according to perspective. The idea that feminism goes to far suggests that all feminists agree on their method, and to me that's very unfeminist idea.

·
Banned
3,567 Posts
By your definition I am a feminist, and I'm not afraid of the connotations of the word. Accepting a political label doesn't mean that I agree with everyone who might apply that label to himself or herself.

The only consistent issues I have with feminism, and really with all modern political/social movements on all points along the liberal<<<<< >>>>>conservative spectrum, is the abuse of language and the resulting irrational insistence on shutting out any other viewpoint.

An idea either has merit or it doesn't. Don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining.

And while a basic tenet like equal pay for equal work has for me no logical counterpoint, I'm secure in that knowledge and I see no advantage in labelling, or diagnosing, someone who sees it differently.

·
Retired Enforcer
19,112 Posts
"a person who supports the advocacy of women's rights on the grounds of political, social, and economic equality to men."
By this definition yes.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
^But, you know there has been deviation from that. :no

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
^ Good post. I consider myself a feminist because I define feminism the same way the op did: supporting gender equality. I think that a lot of people, both men and women, have come to define feminism as bringing the status of women above that of men as a means of equalizing the sexes, but of course, that's ridiculous. Often, it seems that self-proclaimed feminists attempt to increase the political and social power of women in those areas in which they are weaker than men without attempting to promote the social and political power of men in those areas that they are weaker than women.

When she was arrested in the feminist marches in the 20's, Susan B. Anthony was released by the judge at her trial because she was a woman. But she demanded that she go to prison, just as any man would. This is true feminism: total equality, for better or worse.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
where is the reply for "hell no!"
we can thank gloria steinem etc for killing chivalry.
to be feminist is to defy physics and natural instincts in general. of course there can be exceptions! + if you're cool with that, go for it! there are plenty of alpha females in media to back you up, and men will drool + fall heads over heel for you as you emulate angelina's tomb raiding etcetera, as it is becoming the general norm in hollywood! :no

lol. this kid is clever.

agreed completely. men feel useless as their role is removed. women feel undervalued in their place as well. people mock traditional roles, and are left floating in the debris of what the seventies did to us. not that i advocate the 50's roles either, but can't there be a middle ground?????????? they've obviously both failed and we need to find ourselves by observing nature.
^Great Post... my thoughts exactly...

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
I don't use the label "feminist," but support gender equality. I had a college professor who was a feminist. Her class was media studies, and some of the things she pointed out to us were quite interesting and eye-opening. I remember in particular discussing how in crime shows, in most of the cases, the victim of a brutal murder is a young, beautiful woman. They love to show us images of said naked female body that's been beaten, bruised, cut, etc. She had some explanation for that but I forget what it was :con

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
men feel useless as their role is removed. women feel undervalued in their place as well. people mock traditional roles, and are left floating in the debris of what the seventies did to us. not that i advocate the 50's roles either, but can't there be a middle ground??????????
This is one of the issues feminism is trying to address- what are the roles of men and women?
Right now, I think we still have fairly strict gender roles that dictate to men and women how we should behave. But I think feminism tries to free us from those constraints.

For example, I think current roles for men in our society can be very restrictive and limiting (the John Wayne type is representative: tough as nails, strong and stoic, doesn't cry, is the breadwinner in his home). It can be damaging to your self-esteem if you don't fill this arbitrary stereotype, and it can be very unfulfilling if you do (would John Wayne be a stay-at-home-dad, or dance in a ballet, or teach kindergarten, even if he really, really wanted to?).

I think feminism is trying to rid society of "This is what women should do" and "This is what men should do"- and is replacing it with "Do whatever makes you happy."

·
The worlds biggest dork.
171 Posts
I wouldn't generally consider myself a femminist, to me that seems a little too old school. Ok not so old school as just....I don't know I guess outdated. To me at least. And it seems a little.....one sided. (I mean absolutely no offense to those who consider themselves femminists this is just my own opinion) What I consider myself is a humanist (a term I made for myself although it could have a totally different definition than wht I give it that's my definition for me haha) every human no matter their race, gender, orientation, religion or lack thereof ect....should be totally equal. That's how I feel about it.

·
taking a break from SAS
1,408 Posts
There should be equal opportunities for men and women. Gender should not be used as a reason to restrict choice or behavior. I am waiting for the day when gender becomes a non-issue, feminism becomes a thing of the past. Then that would mean we have achieved true equality.

There still are differences between men and women that make them better suited to one task or other, but not everyone fall neatly into groups. There are outliers. Besides, people should not have to limit themselves to something they are suitable for. As long as it is something they want to do, they should be able to do it.

I voted for the 2nd option. "I don't use the label "feminist," but support gender equality."

1 - 20 of 252 Posts