Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Interesting article and interesting question. I think i tend to compare myself to other people too much, for instance if i see people with friends hanging out i compare my own isolated existence to their apparent happy lives. If i lived on an island with no other soul there i would feel lonely but i would have no one to compare too and thus i wouldn't be constantly reminded of my loneliness.

·
Banned
309 Posts
Interesting article and interesting question. I think i tend to compare myself to other people too much, for instance if i see people with friends hanging out i compare my own isolated existence to their apparent happy lives. If i lived on an island with no other soul there i would feel lonely but i would have no one to compare too and thus i wouldn't be constantly reminded of my loneliness.
This applies to me as well. For some reason I don't think I would feel as bad if I knew most of the population was going through the same thing too... I'd still be a loner of course...

·
On Standby...
76 Posts
I think i d still feel lonely and unhappy, no matter how i thought other people felt. But i ll admit, seeing other people who seem to be happy and satisfied isn t exactly gonna make things better.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I think this applies to me a bit, i tend to compare my life to those that i precieve to be happy. Facebook! dun dun dun. seeing ppl update how mch fun they had at a party or hanging out, even seeing ppl complain about working late, makes me feel like a loser sometimes. Because i want a job to complain about I want to go and party. Like dude above said, it really maskes no difference how everyone else is doing but seeing ppl doing better doesn't help any.

·
Still Running
387 Posts
This article says a lot about the state of our society in general I think. Sure seems like there are a lot of hateful and unhappy, or maybe just unfriendly people out there in the public. I have read this quote before somewhere and have to agree - "Some of the most profound loneliness can happen when other people are present,"

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
I didn’t read the article but without reading it I can say that affects me a little. Things used to bother me real bad until I started paying attention to so called "social" people. Someone may know a lot of people and call them friends but inside they only have maybe two friends max they are super close with, much like most people. Throughout my life I've discovered I've always had one really close friend and they were the type you could say anything to and have fun with, so it was a real true friend for life. I'd rather have those friends than 50 plus people I see on a weekly basis or whom I can only gather with superficially.

As far as marriage goes, you here more people complain about it than anything. I'm sure there are millions of marriages that are great but supposedly half the United States is prone for divorce! This means that people aren't happy with their marriages and 50% vote out!

Our problem is we THINK everyone has some greater lifestyle than us, but have you ever achieved something you've always wanted just to find out it's nothing miraculous? That was the feeling I got when I got laid as a teenager, the feeling I got when I first moved out of my parents house, when I graduated, when I dated, had lots of "friends" -- nothing too special. What matters most isn't what you have but what you know and feel inside that matters. You can be a loner all your life and be happier than most "social" people. You can have a wealth of money and be sad whereas someone from a 3rd world country loves his/her life. We always think the grass is greener on the other side so we are upset when we don't achieve it. From my short experience here on earth I've noticed it's not always the outcome that I'm looking for but the journy that brings me happiness because I'm no longer "stuck" or "helpless" doing nothing. I've found it's the excitement of making more out of myself that shoots up my confidence and not what someone has or what I can get. I agree that we should all go after what we want because sometimes it's just what we need to realize that there is much more in life than what that is.

·
Banned
768 Posts
No, I'm def more happy when I've managed to fit into a group of people. As rare as it is. Lonliness sucks the big one.

·
stillborn
1,764 Posts
That's really interesting.

He describes texting or Twittering in the presence of others as a "prescription for loneliness." Such behavior, he says, sends the message that someone somewhere else is more important.
Yeah, I find that a lot. That's why I hate cell phones. I find it pretty rude.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts