Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Are video games worth playing ?

2K views 28 replies 15 participants last post by  bubbletea 
#1 ·
I hadn't been aware that Blizzard had released 2 new expansions of World of Warcraft ... this whole time .

So I decided to check out the gameplay of Mists of Pandaria .

Video Games would be dangerous for me to spend money on , I mean as we speak ... cause I'm unemployed ... but I can always just use a private server if I want to give World of Warcraft another shot without blowing my wallet .

I kinda thought this expansion was cute ... I'd try it out if I had a better laptop ... but meh , video games kinda trigger a feeling of Lethargy in me .

Are video games a complete waste of time ?

The only way video games have helped me in the past ..... is through Inspiration . I became inspired to draw comics .... inspired to learn about world History .... Medieval history .

Also .. when dealing with Real Life problems in High School .. I would always use video game scenarios as a metaphor .. and it kinda became my Religion back at the time (lol)

You could say .... video games helped me survive High School , but now that I've graduated .. now that life has become Harder than ever ... now that life has actually Turned Into a video game ... I can't see why I should be getting into them again .

Are video games worth playing ? Share your experiences .

See less See more
#2 ·
Hahaaah way back I made a facebook group called something like 'Blizzard should make Pandaren a playable race in WoW' and then they did (not cause of my group obviously but funny coincidence), and everyone hated that idea, and I still haven't bought it. :')

Sometimes I feel like playing WoW again, but then I don't. I'm not sure how people become really addicted to it tbh, it's fun enough for me to keep playing for a while but then I get bored and stop. Maybe if I had other people to play with and got into raiding. But I don't want to now, because of the subscription and my lack of funds. I'm so behind now too.

Warlords of Draenor is coming out in December too lol. So then I'll be even more behind. At the point when I was last playing I was still working my way through WotLK dungeons and quests and the last expansion pack I bought was Cataclysm...

All the Elder Scrolls titles are worth playing :blank go play them now. All of them, one after the other. Nah, just Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim.

#4 ·
Often I come across something that reminds me of WoW and I think: "Now that I think about it I really miss playing that game" Then I buy subscription and realize that all I'm doing in game is standing around doing nothing (Something I could be doing IRL for free) So I have banned myself from any MMORPG with a subscription. I mostly play single player games now and while some people see it as a waste of time I see it as a hobby and the gaming community is a very vocal and large community nowadays. You can make alot of friends by going to conventions or even just going online and talking to people about it... So no I don't think its a waste of time.

#5 ·
I
Are video games a complete waste of time ?
Hmmm I'm sadly much older and have been playing computer / console games a little longer. In the grand scheme of things, do you reckon when all is said and done, that you'll be glad you spent lots of your time playing computer / console games?
I'm sadly old and grumpy :)b) but I can say that because of SA, I have wasted way too much time on frivolous stuff, in an attempt to distract myself from my sad little life (games, drugs and alcohol as prime examples)
I'm not going to judge what folks do to get through rough times (having done much of them myself for the very same reasons)
but I do know at my age what I'm really regretting already! And therefore what I can recommended, is not to waste any of your precious time repeating my mistakes and therefore my already wasted time :sus

#7 ·
People go on about how Reading is a virtue , for one ... especially snobby college kids who get straight A's . (A room without books is a body without a soul , blah blah blah ....)

Movies ? Yeah , watch this ... watch that .. don't watch that , it's crap .

Now video games ..... I don't recall anyone Ever suggesting I should play video games .

#9 ·
I mean in the sense, some (movies/books/video games) leave a lasting emotional/intellectual impact on you will effect you long after you finish them, while others are basically ****, but entertaining and can help pass the time. So ya, some movies are worth watching, some books are worth reading and some video games are worth playing. I don't think MMO's are particularly worth the time or effort but whatever your into.

#19 ·
I know how to play World of Warcraft for free . I did it first when I was 12 . I even set up my own private server on my dad's computer .... and that's how I made my very first friends in early high school .. after spending 1 year being a nerd who everybody hated , in Venezuela .

#22 ·
Good point , man . Good point .

I just don't wanna be playing video games and feeling guilty . There's gotta be a way to convince myself Not to feel that way . If anything .... I could think of it as seeking Inspiration .

Same goes with going to bars and meeting girls . Some people might think I'm wasting time .... but for me , it's a way of boosting Confidence - Which can help me succeed in other areas of life , too ... especially showbiz , which I wanna get into .

#25 ·
I'd say games are absolutely worthwhile. I play them for the feeling of immersion and to explore different worlds, do things I'll never do in real life, i.e. fight a grizzly bear with a sword and shield!

I love starting into a huge open world RPG and knowing that there is a massive amount of exploration ahead of me.

I havent played it, but Journey on PSN/PS3 is something I'd like to try for a different reason. A wordless, plotless exploration of a barren landscape where from time to time, you are joined by another avatar who may be AI or who may be another person playing the game. You can stick together and progress with a companion or you can drift apart. It doesnt sound like much, but apparently in this dreamy, atmospheric setting it's quite moving.

#26 ·
When you're dead it won't matter what you did or didn't do. Nothing anyone does will matter at the end of things.

Do you have fun when you're playing games? Is it enjoyable? If so, then play them. That's it.

#27 ·
Why lump ALL video games together?

Video games can be beneficial. They can teach you skills, tell you beautiful stories, be music to your ears, and give you life lessons. Some video games like Wii Fit can be physically healthy. They can challenge your beliefs and give you insight.

And there are video games out there that are boring and rather pointless, like Rock Simulator and Tree Simulator.

#28 ·
If their positive effects (like enjoyment, inspiration, relaxation etc.) outweigh the feeling that you're wasting time and money, then yes, go for it.

#29 ·
i miss my video games. :( i'm busy with school right now so i don't have free time to do anything except browse the internet on the weekend.

they're definitely worth playing if you are bored and don't have something to do outdoors. i only play ps3/vita now, but i made a few friends when i played a couple mmo's in the past.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.