Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
intimacy without pain
1,192 Posts
Yeah! I've been a vegan for about six months, but was a vegetarian 6 years prior to that. Going vegan is the best thing I've ever done for myself. I feel so much better.

When/Why did OP/ya'll become a vegan/vegetarian? Just wondering. I did it at first because how animals are treated and factory farming disgusts me, but I've also been enjoying lots of health benefits, too.

·
Registered
440 Posts
When/Why did OP/ya'll become a vegan/vegetarian? Just wondering. I did it at first because how animals are treated and factory farming disgusts me, but I've also been enjoying lots of health benefits, too.
I've been vegan for 5 years, (was vegetarian for about 5-6 months before that) I would have jumped into it even quicker but I was only 15 at the time and my mom thought at first that I'd wither away without dairy and eggs in my diet. I did it for ethical reasons as well, health wasn't a factor for me until later on.

·
Registered
28,013 Posts
I'm vegetarian for the most part. I still have a can of tuna once a month. I don't drink milk anymore but I do eat cheese and other dairy products. Eventually I will quit. Just haven't gotten there quite yet. And it is for ethical reasons.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
:) glad to see a little group of veggies here hahah.
it's been a year now since I went vegan. I actually originally did it for health reasons but then I saw how the animals were treated and that stopped me from ever going back.
I hope to exchange recipes with y'all sometime ^^

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I was a vegan for about 5 years of my 12 years of vegetarianism. With the amount of soy based dairy products out there it was pretty easy to avoid the milk and eggs, but is also very expensive.

I definitely felt more energetic and got sick less often when I was a vegetarian, but having become one at the age of 10 I feel it also had some negative health effects, and I didn't have the foresight at that age to know I needed to supplement my diet with vitamins and minerals I was missing from meat.

·
Behind a screen
775 Posts
I just saw this thread it's cool that you made it. I have been vegan for only 7 months now but I gave up every kind of meat and dairy straight away complete turn around, as strange as it sounds. Also it wasn't about health, that wasn't the reason I changed by the way although that is an added benefit to it. I feel less drained, less fatigue, less nausea and more energy. I do take a vitamin supplement once a day containing vitamin B12 which is rare in our diet we need to remember to take some form of this sometimes. I find it in the soy milk I drink too. So there is the supplements and the soy milk that help me out there.

I guess the reason was prinicple I have always cared about animals but over the space of two days suddenly became very aware of what actually happens to animals and it started effecting me mentally. I could not personally be a part of any industry involved in animal cruelty or the killing of animals, just could not deal with it anymore myself and just didnt want anything to do with it in the slightest. Totally lost interest in all that so fast. Anyway hope someone found this helpful in some way.

·
◔_◔
5,212 Posts
I think this is the first vegan thread where it didn't get out of hand or turn into one huge debate.

Well done everyone!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm not vegan, though I keep a vegan diet for health reasons. I say it that way because I have many friends who have dedicated their lives to being vegan, purely for the animals, and I don't want to insult anyone who feels very strongly in that direction.

My meals are 90-95% vegan on any given week, and have been for about 6 years now. I started making the change when I was 25 and my doc wanted to put me on high blood pressure medication. This runs in my family (as well as diabetes), and I was like... no. Did the research, and since making changes to mostly vegan diet I have had no blood pressure issues since.

I'm also very found of making green juices :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm not vegan, though I keep a vegan diet for health reasons. I say it that way because I have many friends who have dedicated their lives to being vegan, purely for the animals, and I don't want to insult anyone who feels very strongly in that direction.

My meals are 90-95% vegan on any given week, and have been for about 6 years now. I started making the change when I was 25 and my doc wanted to put me on high blood pressure medication. This runs in my family (as well as diabetes), and I was like... no. Did the research, and since making changes to mostly vegan diet I have had no blood pressure issues since.

I'm also very found of making green juices :)
Fond!

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
i want to be a vegan

but i have some freegan tendencies and right now im kinda poor

·
Registered
344 Posts
Yay, I love this thread! :) I've been a vegetarian for 6 years, but I really envy you brave souls who are vegan. One of these days I want to go vegan and never look back.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts