Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there must be a far few people on here who don't believe in god or jesus and all that, having this illness can certainly crush any faith you started out with.

What I am wondering is if any of these one believers believe in anything at all?

On a personal note I believe there is somewhere else to go when we die but I don't believe the top man there is god or jesus, I just believe there's something else, another place and type of existance.

Paul

·
gone
5,224 Posts
What I am wondering is if any of these one believers believe in anything at all?
Yeah, lots. I believe in the tangible, natural universe. I know that's here. Black holes and butterflies, protons and pulsars. Music. Pizza. I believe in the bed I'm lying on, the laptop I'm writing on. I believe in the sore throat I'm feeling (****).

I can't find any belief for the supernatural, though. Not to say it doesn't exist, but even if it does, there's no way to know about it. I think we're limited to the natural, but at least that's pretty interesting in its own right.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I dont believe in a higher power or a 'god', but rather 'god is everything', existance, life, the universe, nature.. 'god' is in everything that exists. I dont call it god, but its the closest I can find to what I think 'god' is or just another word for 'nature, existance, life, the universe etc'. The sum total of all. I believe science brings us closer to what is 'god'.

Evolution makes sense to me. Creation does not.

I cannot say that the supernatural exists or there is an afterlife because Im not dead yet.. but Im more inclined to believe something that makes solid sense to me. Dinosaur fossils, are some pretty solid evidence to me, it makes me think were not that significant.

The reason why I cannot say that the supernatural exists is because I believe everything has 'energy', we are energy. What is this energy? Im yet to find, but I know its there, we wouldnt be here without it. Your brain sends 'signals' to your body. That could only use 'energy'. What if this energy could exist outside your body?

It makes sense, that I am here, on this earth, that rotates around the sun, that gives us life, from a single cell organism, in the great expanse of the universe, made of gas and stuff.
I appreciate being. I appreciate everything that is natural. I look to the sky and see our sun, our moon, and other suns and planets that we call stars. I look to the earth and see life for what it is. Simply, existing. Humans are nothing special to me. Were just more matter, here by chance, of all the right 'matter' coming together to give the right conditions to give our life. Just like any other living thing on this earth. A tree, a flower, an insect, animals including us.

Thats why it makes sense to me, that there is other planets revolving around suns out there, that also have life. Because if the right stuff happened here, it could happen elsewhere out there.

Theres just too many questions religion cannot answer. Science answers my questions.

Maybe Im being controversal here, I am sorry if I offend, its not my purpose. But I find it sad when people are 'born' with others beliefs imprinted on them.

Im all for people making their own minds up on their beliefs, when they are ready to go on that journey. Put trust in yourself or 'trust your instincts'. Gather your own knowledge. Dont let others preach about something that is not your own thoughts.

Hmm I think that just about covers my beliefs. lol. Wow that was long. :)

·
unashamed perv
1,786 Posts
I can't find any belief for the supernatural, though. Not to say it doesn't exist, but even if it does, there's no way to know about it. I think we're limited to the natural, but at least that's pretty interesting in its own right.
Same here. I "believe in" science, rationality, philosophy, empathy. I put "believe in" in inverted commas because it's not the same as believing in a god or something supernatural.

·
Banned
4,462 Posts
I'm a non-believer. I suppose I'm a bit of a humanist, though I don't describe myself as such. I'm pretty discrete when it comes to what I believe around most people, at least in RL. And when I do express some belief, I'm usually not being entirely serious, such as in my college classes.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
I'm agnostic, so not really a true "non believer"

I dont believe in a higher power or a 'god', but rather 'god is everything',
Interesting. I had a dream where I remember parts vividly that basically was this message. God was EVERYTHING, not just beauty of nature or living things, but even inanimate man made objects. Although it started out with the aesthetic nature settings, at the end I felt a flood of positive emotions, almost overwhelming and I kind of interpreted that as God as well. It wasn't like the personal traditional type of God.

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Athiest here. But I don't think SAD had any role in my deconversion.

I do have somewhat of a belief in ghosts, but I believe there is a scientific explanation for them.

·
Banned
2,173 Posts
I'm an atheist and as much as i would love to believe that there is a greater power and that humans are not simply a bunch of organic cells, cartilage, bones, flesh and blood. I simply can't.

The simple reason is that i was raised up and still am in a religious home, and i now realise that I never truly believed in a God or any of that . Yes, of course, in my conscious mind i did tell myself that it was all true. But i believe that deep deep down in my subconscious i never truly believed any of it. Most of my actions back then were automatic, i acted on instinct, a lot like i do now with my SA. My thought processes were not rational, a lot like they are now with my SA again. That's at least my opinion.

The mental struggle that led me to conclude that the dogma I was led to practice and believe didn't make any logical sense was tough. It took months for my mind to finally rid itself of the guilt that followed my departure from my belief. That was a few year ago now. Today i'm a complete atheist.

Of course my parents are not very happy. But at least they accept me for who i'm. For that I'm grateful.

My hope now is to recreate my last internal battle and by that rid myself of SA.

Oh, and if you want to know i'm a Jewish atheist.

·
Anywhere, take me there ~
228 Posts
I agree with Aurora and SilentLoner.
What if this energy could exist outside your body?
I'm an atheist for the most part but there are still some things I believe in (though not on sheer want).

·
Banned
501 Posts
I know there must be a far few people on here who don't believe in god or jesus and all that, having this illness can certainly crush any faith you started out with.
I chose to believe that the Judeo-Christian God doesn't exist simply because Christians haven't fulfilled their burden of proof. My social anxiety disorder had nothing to do with this decision.

On a personal note I believe there is somewhere else to go when we die but I don't believe the top man there is god or jesus, I just believe there's something else, another place and type of existance.

Paul
I'm assuming you mean to ask if some atheists or non-theists believe in the existence of any supernatural beings or a supernatural world.

As for myself, I'm a materialist so of course, I believe that the supernatural world doesn't exist for the same reason why I'm an atheist.

·
Banned
4,462 Posts
Athiest here. But I don't think SAD had any role in my deconversion.

I do have somewhat of a belief in ghosts, but I believe there is a scientific explanation for them.
Yeah, I don't think SA had anything to do with my disbelief as well. Learning about Greek mythology when I was 12 years old had more to do with it than SA.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I don't have any spiritual or religious beliefs that I'm aware of. I just exist.

·
Finding my way
1,932 Posts
I'm a LaVeyan Satanist... which means I believe in myself.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is my first post. Ive been browsing these forums all morning, but I found this topic very interesting and felt the need to reply.

I am what you would call an agnostic, I guess. I don't really believe in God in a religious sense. I believe in everything. And that science and all religions have a common ground somewhere a long time ago. Basically, I try to look at things logically, I do believe in evolution and what science has proven. To me, where the question of creation comes in billions of years ago. I find it much more unlikely that life is fluke made up of the right elements at the right time under the right conditions. How could randomness create pizza, cars, love, vanity, civilization, intelligence and sentience, and everything else that makes "life" what it is. Something had to spark it, and to me, that something is "God."

As far as life after death, I really just don't know. But I feel that I am something more than flesh, bones and chemical reactions. And if the flesh can't live very long, maybe that "something more" can.

·
Registered
231 Posts
belief is irrelevent
either there is evidence or there is not

·
Registered
984 Posts
I'm kind of confused by the op but i'll put in my say anyways, my believes most match unitarians. I don't believe Jesus was the son of God but he was an enlightened man nor should the bible be taken as literal truth but metaphorically. God is love and is everything but exactly what God is, is unkowable so I consider myself an agnostic. When I say God I don't mean a deity or the creator necessarily but nirvana or enlightenment which is why I consider myself more of a buddhist than a unitarian. New ager maybe? I'm turned off by religions like tibetan buddhism or fundamental christianity that insist their believes are the only path.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
I don't believe in anything supernatural. I believe the physical world is all that exists and all that ever did and ever will.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts