Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know how valid my observation is, but I've noticed that the quiet/more introverted type people (such as those on SAS) seem to be more articulate and grammatically correct in terms of their written communication. I mean, many of us would find it difficult to keep a conversation going in real life, yet are able to write clear and detailed messages on-line. Whereas with many extroverts, I've found that they seem more so of a "quantity over quality" philosophy and... there writting offen l00ks sUmThInG LiK DiS [sic]. To me, it seems like posts on SAS are often quite well-written. Have you guys noticed a similar pattern?

Sanssyd.

· Registered
167 Posts
It wouldn't surprise me. One of the most common causes of social anxiety is avoidant personality disorder--constantly feeling that you're never good enough, smart enough, etc., despite all evidence to the contrary. So, the constant suspicion that many of us have, deep down, that we're actually stupid--and the terrifying prospect that others might find out this shameful secret about us--causes us to be writing perfectionists. People with physical insecurities spend a lot of time on their looks, because they think they can't afford not to. People with intellectual insecurities spend a lot of time making sure their grammar is perfect, for the same reason.

· Registered
191 Posts
Well I think it takes a fair bit of intellectual ability to be able to think of all the reasons to be anxious. Creativity too, as anxiety often centres on "What ifs?". We also tend to be observers of life which allows us to see subtleties that are lost on people who might be too busy talking. We watch and we listen and we learn. I'm not sure that that translates into better 'mechanical' writing skills (and to be honest I don't really find the finer points of grammar and punctuation terribly interesting anyway) but I think it does make for a more reflective personality that can write about life in a more interesting way. Plus we are probably just that bloody desperate for an opportunity to communicate! All those thoughts trapped inside our heads for too long.

· Banned
852 Posts
i definitely dont fit into this category.:lol years of just thinking to myself not talking to anyone not writing etc has screwed up my ability to articulate many of my thoughts. oh well **** happens. stay in school.

· Banned
583 Posts
I don't know how valid my observation is, but I've noticed that the quiet/more introverted type people (such as those on SAS) seem to be more articulate and grammatically correct in terms of their written communication. I mean, many of us would find it difficult to keep a conversation going in real life, yet are able to write clear and detailed messages on-line. Whereas with many extroverts, I've found that they seem more so of a "quantity over quality" philosophy and... there writting offen l00ks sUmThInG LiK DiS [sic]. To me, it seems like posts on SAS are often quite well-written. Have you guys noticed a similar pattern?
Sanssyd.
Well, there is MicrosoftWord... =p

I think that maybe this could be true because we think more before speaking/writing. Since online we have time to think without any disturbances (ahem, anxiety) we seem more 'articulate'.

· Banned
2,184 Posts
I'm definitely not as good a writer as i would like to be. It's quite a good skill, coming to think of it. However, this website is the only one in which i have ever posted/communicated with people without being face to face. So perhaps i could hone this useful skill further by communicating more online.

· Buried at Sea
5,150 Posts
maybe... but my dialogue sucks because i don't know how to talk to people.

*facepalm*
This has been a big problem for me, whenever I can wrestle up the energy to try to write anything. A lot of writers use their experiences and people they meet to inspire them and make their writing richer. But since I don't meet anyone ever and don't have many experiences other than sitting at home, most things I write end up involving someone who's cranky and miserable and doesn't leave the house.

I wonder if writing about being outgoing and happy could help with overcoming anxiety? Kind of like when they tell you that visualizing something can make it easier to do it?

· resident classicist
4,415 Posts
This forum does have spellcheck. That might help.

· Registered
984 Posts
If you are talking about real writers then nope, you need life experience to be able to write properly. I'm sure you can find some exceptions like emily dickinson but for the most part the best writers have had a wild life. If you are talking about in general well then yes introverts are better writers in the sense that they aren't going to use l33t speak. But that says more about our society than anything.

· Banned
5,875 Posts
Well, I know I'm certainly not able to write worth a damn. When I try to communicate my thoughts through any medium, it usually ends up a jumbled mess. I'm also a slow thinker, so that doesn't help. Sometimes it can take me over half an hour to come up with a single paragraph of text. Of course, I never payed much attention in school, so I didn't learn any of the rules of writing.

Well, now I feel stupid again...:(

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.