Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think back to all the times I encountered people with social-anxiety and bad social skills. They always came off as rude. I am sure partly due to SA but could it also be that people with SA are generally rude? snippy all the time because they don't know how to communicate. And because of this they are always on edge?

·
Registered
85 Posts
i competely disagree with that i don't know why u think they would be ruder than normal people, especially if ur nice to them in the first place generally they might be happy to be able to have someone to talk to that is friendly to them, i find the opposite to be true...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I wouldn't say people with SA come off rude at all. I have had SA my entire life and during all my school years I had a lot of friends due to me being easy for them to talk to. It's not like I said much back but they never said anything bad about that being rude. My nickname throughout high school by a lot of people including teachers was smiley because I always had a smile on my face and always looked so optimistic.

The only people I occasionally get snippy to is my Dad but that has some history to it. I try to be as nice as possible to everyone I talk to (which is mostly just family members these days since I don't go anywhere else but family events).

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You're saying that the ones that don't say hello and are nice because they are at least being honest/real of their intentions? I see that as a load of **** because it that is certainly not always the case and the inverse could be said. People that are rude are going to show you their true colors in their words, you just have to understand how those "evil" types operate. I can spot those nice-rude types with so-called "sinister" intentions from a mile away. I am perceptive, I can read body language and read between what they are saying in their voice.

·
Registered
106 Posts
In my case, I am perceived as rude primarily because of my SA. But I never mean to be rude. I just avoid talking to people out of anxiety and "normal" people consider that rude.

·
Tortured Artist Cliche
48 Posts
Perhaps rude people become isolated and develop social anxiety..

I don't think I'm rude. Oblivious in certain social situations and overly sensitive in others maybe, but not rude.

·
Person doodling at work
378 Posts
I think we just appear rude because we don't want to get hurt or don't know how to properly react to situations involving other people.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I think we just appear rude because we don't want to get hurt or don't know how to properly react to situations involving other people.
I agree. Some acquaintances have told me I appeared to be cold or rude at first glance, but once they got to know me they found I was just the opposite.

I personally feel that I find more "normal" people to be rude than those I've met with SA. That is simply my own opinion and experience though.

·
Registered
137 Posts
yup it certainly appears that way...

Ironic because we try the hardest not to be rude, and doing so is what makes us appear rude....

Theres a reason people don't like us very much, it all comes down to the image we project by trying too hard

·
Big Nerd
1,131 Posts
We only appear cold and rude but most of us aren't.
I can be bitter and angry but I usually try to be nice with people unless they're being ****heads.
On my bad days I do admit to being a ****head myself by giving dirty looks or ignoring people if I don't want to be bugged.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've been called rude or stuck up plenty of times before and its honestly unintentional. I avoid eye contact or any kind of contact for the obvious reason that Im just trying to avoid any anxious thoughts or feelings. Pretty sure its common amongst us SA peeps.

·
Eternal Slack
3,195 Posts
I don't know if "rude" is the right word, I feel like it's more "indifferent" or "disinterested".

Maybe I just have a different definition of "rude". If somebody passes you on the street and says "hello" and you walk right past them without saying anything, is that rude? I don't think so. Now if you insult them after they say "hello", I see that as being rude.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts