Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do they really work? For those of us who just can't attract anyone in real life have you found meeting people from websites helpful? I am especially interested in women's experiences.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Ehhh...I swing back and forth on how I feel about them. I think its potentially a good way to meet people, but I dont think its gotten quite mainstream enough (even thought there are lots of people on there), to really give you a chance to meet the type of people you're going to find a solid relationship with. At least in my area, Ive found that there are a lot of "players" and very desperate lonely guys on dating sites. You will meet people, and its definitely been a good way to get used to conversation and dating. But I cant say anyone Ive met or talked to that I met on a dating site has been an overall positive experience unfortunately.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ehhh...I swing back and forth on how I feel about them. I think its potentially a good way to meet people, but I dont think its gotten quite mainstream enough (even thought there are lots of people on there), to really give you a chance to meet the type of people you're going to find a solid relationship with. At least in my area, Ive found that there are a lot of "players" and very desperate lonely guys on dating sites. You will meet people, and its definitely been a good way to get used to conversation and dating. But I cant say anyone Ive met or talked to that I met on a dating site has been an overall positive experience unfortunately.
This has been my experience to, especially the player part. I was just hoping it was me. How else can I meet guy? I've had no luck all year. I've been on dating sites off and on for almost 3 years now and no luck. I have so stories to tell. Recently, I started with the dating sites again and refuse to give up this time. Perhaps, I gave up too early all those other times?

·
Registered
611 Posts
I dont know...Ive pretty much given up on them. I dont doubt that there are SOME good guys on there, but unfortunately they're never the type Im attracted to. And Ive had a lot of bad dating experiences that make it hard enough for me to trust guys at all, let alone guys on dating sites. Ive seen guys on there I know in real life...who have real life girlfriends. Soo...that has kinda lowered my faith in dating altogether. But I am in a very cynical place about this right now...so you probably shouldnt listen to me at all lol.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I've tried dating sites before and I'd say they work. At first I had few conversations with guys that ended up no where, but I did eventually start talking to this one guy and meeting him a couple weeks later. We went out on a few dates and became a couple soon after. We were only together for about 2 months before he ended it though (totally my fault).

·
Banned
3,285 Posts
Internet dating won't work when both of you aren't committed to the cause.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Online dating has done wonders for me. It's risky, but I think you should give it another go. Try not to be discouraged if it takes a while to meet some quality people

I've met a few guys online, one of them I had very high hopes for but it turns out he had a secret long-term girlfriend, the second one I wasn't attracted to, third one is the charm and we're moving in together soon.

My sister also met her husband online

·
Mega awesome
5,080 Posts
It can work. I got a relationship out of one of them but of course he didn't live around here so we stopped seeing each other. I haven't been on my profile in a long time...cause mostly I don't care about getting in a relationship... My brother met his fiance on Myspace. So yea it can work.

·
Registered
65 Posts
You need to be careful, but they are a success for many people. I've found it more comfortable to ease into a relationship by working up the ranks: emailing, then personal messaging, then camming, then meeting up. Much less frightening than plunging straight into face-to-face conversation! Particularly when I've targeted common-interest sites I've met people I really get along with and found a couple of long-term relationships and a few good online friends. Because dating sites collect people from a much wider pool, if you've esoteric interests or you're just not a people person the likelihood of meeting someone who suits you are much higher than chancing upon someone in the street. But there's the added inconvenience of distance.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I know you asked for women to answer, but my experiences with online dating have just been awful. I have sent messages to over 100 women during the six/seven months I gave it a try. Not a single one was willing to communicate at all with me. So, just like real life dating, I basically gave up on it. Seems nearly impossible to meet a woman who is willing to give a guy like me a chance. Maybe it will be different for you. At least give it a try.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I'm just going to stick with it for now. Hopefully I'll one day succeed. I hate being alone so badly. I feel trapped. I feel as if I have nothing to live for.

·
Registered
284 Posts
It's the only way I can meet guys! I got a bf through one two years ago but it only lasted 3.5 months. I haven't really found anyone else since then though. :(

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's the only way I can meet guys! I got a bf through one two years ago but it only lasted 3.5 months. I haven't really found anyone else since then though. :(
Sorry to hear that. :( I wonder why some of us struggle with something as basic as getting into a relationship? Some people are constantly going from one relationship to another while others like myself can't even get one.

I'm so sick and tired of chasing men. I can't get anyone to call me. I'm always the one spending money, trying to please, and I'm still stuck alone.

·
Banned
974 Posts
I could never meet a man I met on the internet. I almost did once, then I started to see his true colors. He changed in an instant. Just be careful. There are lots of angry, crazy, monsters out there, and desperate eager women make easy targets.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I could never meet a man I met on the internet. I almost did once, then I started to see his true colors. He changed in an instant. Just be careful. There are lots of angry, crazy, monsters out there, and desperate eager women make easy targets.
You are so right. I'm talking to a man on a dating website right now. I have two separate windows open, one for this site and one for the dating site. I've never met this man before and already he wants me to meet him at his house. He has one child and doesn't have a car. He's also 39---a bit too old for me. This is the stuff I constantly encounter on these online sites. After a while it gets frustrating and I just give up. I pray to God I meet someone soon.

I just feel uneasy going to a complete stranger's house. What ever happened to meeting up for coffee or something? I kind of don't believe that he doesn't have a car either.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Do they really work? For those of us who just can't attract anyone in real life have you found meeting people from websites helpful? I am especially interested in women's experiences.
I have found that they do work because a person can make a profile and specify what they want and don't want in a person. I used to use dating sites when I was in my 20's and 30's but don't use them as much now. I still talk to a man that I have known for three and a half years, we are friends and we keep in touch although we live 3 hours away from each other, that prevents us from seeing each other as often as we would like. So I would recommend that when dating online, date someone that lives near you because dating long distance is no fun!!! I have a coworker who met her boyfriend on Facebook and they are dating. So dating websites can and do work.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts