Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
seduced by gravity
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was thinking... Animals always seem to be busy eating, reproducing, or doing other important stuff, and they don't tend to have a lot of documented vices. Of course, us humans completely break that pattern now, don't we?

But are we the only species who can survive being "lazy" if we wanted to? If you were any other animal, I'd imagine you wouldn't survive very long at all if you decided to take a day off from your normal routine.

·
Banned
2,905 Posts
You still need money to survive to buy food ect, unless you can grow your own or turn to crime and steal. Many people don't do anything day after day and have little to offer, but still manage to get partners and reproduce. If they live in a country with welfare for the unemployed and disabled, sure you can be lazy. But it's not much of a life, especially if they're all alone.

·
seduced by gravity
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You still need money to survive to buy food ect, unless you can grow your own or turn to crime and steal. Many people don't do anything day after day and have little to offer, but still manage to get partners and reproduce. If they live in a country with welfare for the unemployed and disabled, sure you can be lazy. But it's not much of a life, especially if they're all alone.
Indeed, that's my point though. Yeah, if a human chooses to be lazy as hell, he or she can surely survive and scrape by indefinitely. But I cannot think of a single other animal species who would have that ability to just scrape on by and survive for more than a few days or a week tops

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I suppose that depends on how you define lazy. we're really doing what the animals do and conserving energy when possible. As there's no threat's to our survival i.e. no predators to worry about we'll naturally want to avoid wasting energy if it doesn't benefit our survival. This may be described as being 'lazy' I suppose, but it's what other animals do too, conserve energy when possible.

·
seduced by gravity
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what's your idea of lazy? they sleep for like, 20 hrs a day

snails, i think, have more to worry about

sloths have no body odor and can hold in **** for a week

anyway it's like louie ck said "we're the only animal to have escaped the food chain"

it is pretty weird

not only do most of us die in a fairly dignified way, but some of us are embalmed and placed gently into a box to rot
Sloths move and use up energy at the fastest rate they can based on their metabolism being significantly lower than a human's. So to us they may appear lazy, but they are not.

·
seduced by gravity
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:mum

i don't think they're lazy

that's why i asked you what definition of lazy was

you're kind of defining it as the ability to maintain a caloric surplus then, really

i've seen bulky animals in the wild

and domesticated pets live with little to no threats to their survival, typically, aside from human threat, but that's because we provide them with safety

it really depends on how many predators a certain animal has, and availability of food

but no, i agree, there's no other animal on par with humans
oop sorry, yeah I guess it's one of those subjective things. The kind of "lazy" I am talking about is, for example, skipping a meal because you're too lazy to get off your couch, or just lounging all day instead of spending at least some time being active, or doing a poor job building your house (shelter), or being too lazy to look where you're going. Not doing the things for basic well-being. If any other animal did any of those examples, I am thinking their chances of being eaten by another animal or being too exhausted to chase down their own food, or dying in any way is extraordinarily higher than it would be if a human followed those examples.

But on the other hand, I do understand our minds are more complex and allow us more "tools" to get away with stuff like that.

·
roarrrr
4,876 Posts
It's because our fellow humans, for the most part, take care of the lazy members. If a lazy person was out in the forest on their own, if they didn't get up and work to find food like all the other animals, they'd be just as dead. So there certainly isn't something inherent in a human being that allows us to survive being lazy. It's only when we live social groups where taking care of the less productive members is practiced. I'm sure you can find some examples in the rest of the animal kingdom as well. I remember reading about some sort of queen ant once, and all she did was grow huge on her *** in the den as the other worker ants just brought her food. All she had to do was sit there and pop out youngin's. ;)

·
permanently barnacled
4,801 Posts
Male lions sleep 18-20 hours a day......

·
seduced by gravity
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's because our fellow humans, for the most part, take care of the lazy members. If a lazy person was out in the forest on their own, if they didn't get up and work to find food like all the other animals, they'd be just as dead. So there certainly isn't something inherent in a human being that allows us to survive being lazy.
touché. That is something I'd not thought about.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Cats spend 2/3 of their time asleep, alligators mostly lay there waiting for something to step on them, there's snakes that can go almost a year without eating.

There's plenty of animals that can get away with being less physically active than us.

·
seduced by gravity
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Male lions sleep 18-20 hours a day......
Yeah, maybe the lion snoozes a little too late after it's time to get up, although when it comes time to hunt some grub or defend the pride or territory, lions aren't messing around. And if they are, it's not gonna end very well for them. So I still wouldn't consider them lazy in the way I described a few posts above.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts