Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been learning foreign languages all my life (outside school). Now I'm 23.
First it was for educational purposes.
Now it's also for fun, and for trying to meet new people ;)
(with varying degrees of success)

They're mostly small groups (3-8 people).
I never know anybody when joining one, whereas other people usually go in groups of 2-3 friends.

Since I started trying to evercome my shyness and try to engage in casual conversations, I've realized that females are in general kinder, more approachable, less judgemental.

Women have tried to engage in small talk with me, about anything. Even if they're with their friends, they are at least somewhat inclusive. In general.

At first, since I wasn't used to talk to girls, I was very stressed, but now I feel more at ease with women than with men.

On the other hand, guys tend to be exclusive.:lurk
Last summer, 2 guys behaved almost as if I didn't exist. They didn't even want to seat on the chair next to me (there were only 4 chairs to choose). I think they were rude.

Sometimes guys approach me and ask "did you see tha match?" and I say "no". That's an awkward moment...

I must also point out 2 things:

1) Here here I'm excluding very dumb and shallow people of both sexes, because they don't learn languages.

2) I'm the opposite of an airhead. I'm extremely sensible and soft-spoken, quite bright, not violent or impulsive... I'm not macho. I'm not a lady (not gay either), but I'm unlike most males.

What do you think about my theory.
Are there serios studies about it?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Maybe I'm also asking that because outside those language lessons, I can't interact much with females: In college most are males, and girls are quite "manly".

·
Banned
3,473 Posts
They are "friendlier" but "sneakier/snakier/flakier."

Men tend to be a little harsh(at first) there is a "rites of passage" thing amongst men, but once you get past the BS you probably will have a loyal friend, but like I said you have to prove yourself.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
In my opinion guys are friendlier than girls, because girls are only friendly to you if you can lead a conversation, which is hard to do with SA.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I had something similar in mind. The thing is that I have no friends from high school, and I've been trying to meet new people.

An men are many times very closed, sometimes even hostile to new people.

Sometimes it seems that there are certain peroids in life when one can make new friends (beguinning highschool, beguinning college...). But, outside of them, it's very difficult.

Many times I feel I've missed my chances.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
On the whole I think they're friendlier as in, to casually converse with and be in the company of. I mean in general, school or a work environment. I'd rather be in their presence, than a group of guys like that I guess. I find when it's just groups of women together though, they tend to get b****y and there's not a good atmosphere.

·
Banned
4,372 Posts
if you are another female and you're good looking? in general, no, they are not.

if you are a male and good looking? hell yes, they are very friendly.

give me a room full of guys any day of the week. no matter what they look like.

·
Banned
4,372 Posts
They are "friendlier" but "sneakier/snakier/flakier."

Men tend to be a little harsh(at first) there is a "rites of passage" thing amongst men, but once you get past the BS you probably will have a loyal friend, but like I said you have to prove yourself.
i agree!

·
(/・・)ノ 
1,840 Posts
Men have higher standards to be entertaining. I don't think they're less friendly.. it's just hard to be entertaining when you feel so much anxiety. That's how I feel anyway. I think guys and girls are equally friendly when it comes down to it.

·
o_O
6,024 Posts
if you are another female and you're good looking? in general, no, they are not.

if you are a male and good looking? hell yes, they are very friendly.

give me a room full of guys any day of the week. no matter what they look like.
This sounds about right to me. But seriously, I don't think they are friendlier. It just depends on the people.

·
Simon Says...
1,693 Posts
Sometimes guys approach me and ask "did you see tha match?" and I say "no". That's an awkward moment...
Hahaha... oh it's like that, is it? :teeth

The old "Did you see that ludicrous display last night?"

That scene is so, so, so true.

I think an awfully lot of men/boys have had such moments. I mean, obviously a lot of men (most?... meh, I'd say it's less than we might be expected to think) are very much into football, but some of us either aren't at all... or just watch the odd game in a casual sense.

But back on topic... meh, probably not. They do say women tend to be sneakier when they don't like someone. Maybe they're also better at putting up a friendly facade regardless?
I suspect plenty of women here will come by to contradict your assumption with experiences.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Hmm I find their to be no clear stand out winner tbh.

With males I find them to be slower to warm up to me, but once they have they tend to be loyal friends. They make much harsher jokes than girls I have found, this seems to be the biggest difference, much more common and significant than the friendliness difference which isn't so big.

With girls I usually find them to be more welcoming and easy to talk to, but that is speaking as a guy. To other girls they are much more critical than guys are of each other, so I imagine If I were a girl I would have a different opinion.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Women can be b itchy to other females and can be cold to some men.

Men can be competitive with other men and can be cold to women.

I do not see any difference. Some treat each other normally, some don't. Depends on the person :)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts