Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering because i was thinking about taking a week off from benzos and use alcohol prn or in case i get withdrawl symptoms. I know they act on the brain similar but didnt know if they were cross tolerant.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Unless your prepared to be drunk all day long I don't think it's a good strategy. How about you try stopping for a several days and start taking the klonopin again if you feel withdrawal symptoms?

·
SAS Veteran
1,841 Posts
Why do you want to stop the benzo and drink alcohol? Does the benzo not work like drinking?

·
Registered
598 Posts
I am not a doctor but if you want to get off any benzo, you should talk to the doctor that prescribed them to you. There are weening strategies to get off benzo's that are pretty painless.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I dont have a big tolerance and i dont know if im even going to take a week off. It was more of just a question ( which still hasnt been answered) of are benzos cross tolerant with other CNS depressants like alcohol and opiods.

·
ThirdEyeGrind
1,284 Posts
Even though alcohol probably would ease the wd symptoms barely, I'd still think the benzo wd would be pretty much as bad as it noramally would. Even if you drink, it would probably only ease barely effects. Atleast thats what I think.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I'm interested in this too, because I like having that sense of accomplishment when I make it through a few days without a benzo, knowing that my tolerance isn't building up. It would give me some comfort to know that drinking alcohol on those days off wouldn't be making my break from benzos in vain.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Of course alcohol and benzos are cross-tolerant. As benzodiazepines ease alcohol withdrawal - alcohol can ease benzo withdrawal; But this is no useful real-life strategy - one can't be drunk the whole day and night for weeks in case of benzo WD. ;)

·
Registered
192 Posts
It would give me some comfort to know that drinking alcohol on those days off wouldn't be making my break from benzos in vain.
That's actually a completely different question than what the OP asked. I don't think moderate alcohol consumption has been shown to cause tolerance to benzos. Of course it's never a good idea to mix benzos and alcohol together, wait until the benzo wears off before having a drink.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's actually a completely different question than what the OP asked. I don't think moderate alcohol consumption has been shown to cause tolerance to benzos. Of course it's never a good idea to mix benzos and alcohol together, wait until the benzo wears off before having a drink.
lol no joke i found out 3mg of klonopin and 8 shots of vodka will knock you out.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What about opiods arnt they somewhat cns deppresants, and if so would that mean opiods on off benzo days isnt doing nothing but making tolerance increase to?

·
Registered
516 Posts
yep ur right. hahah.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
What about opiods arnt they somewhat cns deppresants, and if so would that mean opiods on off benzo days isnt doing nothing but making tolerance increase to?
NO, they depress the CNS via interacting with opioid receptors, not via the GABA system.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Yes, they are definitely cross-tolerant. I feel no need to take Xanax if I've had a couple drinks. A few years back when I last saw a whole herd (dozens) of my relatives (that are all strangers to me) I didn't feel any need for Xanax as there was endless beer consumption. They had a keg plus a number of home brews made by some guys I'm apparently in some way very very distantly related to. Keep in mind this is Wisconsin and we're of German ancestry -- drinking beer is what we do.:lol

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Does the benzo not work like drinking?
I've heard of others who describe a drunken feeling from taking benzos, something I've never experienced ever. And this can't be due to tolerance since I never got that effect even when I first tried benzos 9 years ago.

Drinking can produce a profound sense of clam where I don't give a damn. I've never experienced that degree of calm with any benzo at any dose. Of course, benzos have never impaired my ability to think, walk, or induced headaches nor vomiting like excessive amounts of alcohol will.

·
Registered
1 Posts
not the best idea......

benzos are used for alcohol withdrawal, but when used the other way around it can be very dangerous. i was on xanax for 5 years and within 24 hours of stopping it i had seizures. alcohol can prolong you going into withdrawal b/c it works on the same part of the brain, but it will only prolong the amount of time that you have withdrawal symptoms. best thing is to slowly taper off... its not fun, i felt like **** for weeks as my dose was cut and sick for almost 10 days after the tapper period stopped, but drinking won't make withdrawal stop, it will only make it last longer.
wish you the best of luck... its a tuff thing to go through, but worth it in the end

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
If u drink a lot it may take the edge off (depending on the person) I knew someone who did it but drank whiskey n vodka n beer n everything n was drunk till fell asleep at night with a zopliclone, but I know other person who tried n just vomited up any alcohol he drank.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts