Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes it seems like the approval of other people is like a drug to me. Sometimes it feel like I would do anything to get it and like it's the most important thing in life to me. Like it stimulates my system and causes intense reactions within me that alter my behavior drastically. I wasn't always aware of this but it's becoming more clear that I'm like this. I don't know if it is related to SA but I know SA has to do a lot with approval/disapproval issues. Anyone else experience this or have any advice or insight into this?

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
I can't believe you just said that. Because I was about to post the exact same thing! I just read an article about "approval addiction" it's a recognised condition and it said it's people with low self esteem and they become dependant on approval and compliments from others so that if they don't get reassurance they don't know what to do. I definately relate to that anytime I even say something if I don't get a response I feel like ****.

·
nm jc
451 Posts
* Nice guys seek the approval of others.
* Nice guys try to hide their perceived flaws and mistakes.
* Nice guys put other people's needs and wants before their own.
* Nice guys sacrifice their personal power and often play the role of a victim.
* Nice guys tend to be disconnected from other men and from their own masculine energy.
* Nice guys co-create relationships that are less than satisfying.
* Nice guys create situations in which they do not have very much good sex.
* Nice guys frequently fail to live up their full potential.

Nice guy syndrome?

·
Registered
619 Posts
Same here! Over the summer, I had this journal assignment for AP English, and one of the questions was about personal weaknesses. I actually used my compulsive need for approval as one of my weaknesses.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts