Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologise in advance for this epic novel of a post. :p

Okay, I'm interested in teaching English. I have a good handle on the language, and I sometimes help acquaintances and coworkers with their pronunciation. Now, my boyfriend is working in China right now and he wants me to go there. I think it's a really good opportunity, and it'd be great if I could go...

Now the problem. I'm okay with people, and I can usually "wing it" and make a good impression. I think it's the fear of the unknown that makes my imagination works overtime thinking up terrible situations that never happen, but my anxiety kicks in when making phone calls, meeting someone at a set time (like a new doctor), or dropping into an office somewhere to get information.

I have to do the last thing I mentioned. There's a company here that offers placements and just generally helps prospective teachers, but I'm having a really hard time getting the gumption up to actually go. I continually tell myself, "oh, I'll go tomorrow" and then I don't.

Again, I really really hate doing things like this. But it's something that I have to do (I get flak from the bf every day I don't go). Anyone know any tips or something that'll lesson the anxiety on my way there?

·
Registered
165 Posts
I find that the more I talk about something to other people, the more I mention it, the more likely I will do it, if only out of fear of them asking why I never did. For example, tell your family, friends, bf, anyone you know that on, ex, tuesday at 5:00 you are going to cal/drop in. It doens't matter what else you say, if you talk about what you will wear or what the phone number is, the more other people think you are going to do it, the more that it will become a reality. I think right now it seems like something that's waiting for you to do it- you don't have to do anyhting. If you tell people, it has to get done or they will wonder why it didn't.

Wow, on second though, I'm not sure how healthy that is. :S

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Holy ****. I do the exact same thing. Thing is, it didn't work for me in this situation. That's why I posted in the first place. I'm running out of options. I wonder if I could just lie and say, "Oh, I went by the office, but there was nothing there. I guess they went out of business or something". I mean, there's a recession. It could happen. And if they didn't go out of business I can just say, "oh, I guess I went to the wrong place then".

That's not very healthy either ><

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.