Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made an appointment with a psychiatrist, for an evaluation. I don't know what to expect, I just needed to put something in motion.

I am not helping myself at all. I have a job that at which I am not close to anyone, I've been at college with no friends. Not a friend or significant human contact in over a year.
I feel like I've been suffering so long, not being able to be me properly. I'm effectively mute.

So I made this appointment, hoping that the doctor can shed some light, recommend therapy, medicate, I have no idea what to expect.

The appointment is Tuesday and I can already feel myself trying to cancel it. I'm scared to even go, and even more scared to spill my guts to a stranger. I haven't told my parents I made the appointment.

I'm scared because I feel like I'm admitting defeat.
I'm afraid that I will be stigmatized if people know that I saw a psychiatrist.

:cry

·
Registered
64 Posts
Here is how I would view it: who would you see if you had the flu? A doctor. Likewise, if you don't feel well mentally, you would see a doctor. I know that it feels like you will be viewed at differently, but there is no reason to feel ashamed about trying to ask for help. It is not admitting defeat to see a psychiatrist; quite the opposite. It means that you want to get better and are willing to put yourself in an uncomfortable position to do so.

I know that it may feel uncomfortable to talk about such personal moments, but this is the psychiatrist's job. That is why he/she is there. If you really feel uncomfortable, tell that to him/her and I'm sure he/she will help you out. You could even write down what you're feeling and give that to him.

I hope everything turns out well!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I strongly encourage you to go to that appointement, even if you're scared and feel like isolating yourself, psychiatrist isnt there to judge you, but to help you! What's the worst that could really happen? think about it.

I felt the same way as you do when i was to first meet a psychiatrist, i didn't want to go and i was scared of being labeled if i ever was to take any medications for the rest of my life, it is only normal i believe to think that way and in the end i'm glad i've forced myself to go at times!

You did make the effort to set up an appointement with him/her, that is proof you''ve had enough of your problems crippling you, you should seriously go to that appointement and see for yourself what will happen, instead of fearing what may happen. Don't let all this negativity take control over you!! :)

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
your pre-appointment jitters are normal. And, you listed at least nine good reasons why you should keep the appointment.

I am not helping myself at all.
that's probably the best of the nine reasons. A person can't perform solo brain surgery on themselves, so they ask for assistance from an expert.

So I made this appointment, hoping that the doctor can shed some light, recommend therapy, medicate, I have no idea what to expect.
he's gonna do exactly what you expect - shed some light, recommend therapy, and/or medicate.

I'm scared to even go, and even more scared to spill my guts to a stranger.
that's normal and healthy

I haven't told my parents I made the appointment.
not necessary

I'm scared because I feel like I'm admitting defeat.
that's probably a reflection of how you have traditionally judged other people who went to therapy.

I'm afraid that I will be stigmatized if people know that I saw a psychiatrist.
it's true - many people (perhaps including yourself??) might judge someone harshly for seeing a shrink. So for now, let it be your dirty little secret ; no one else needs to know.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts