Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a college freshman in Chicago, 18 years old. I would love to get a job so I could get some spending money and help pay for tuition. I am looking for part-time work downtown, preferably in a restaurant, but I would work retail if necessary.

For the most part, I am over my social anxiety, but applying for jobs is one thing I still struggle with. I had only one prior job, which was in the summer of 2011. I only got that job because my sister worked there too. I had previously applied for a couple other jobs online and only got one interview before I got hired. I do a lot of searching for jobs, but only end up applying to a couple of places.

The things that get me nervous (though irrationally) about applying for jobs is:

-Walking in and applying. This is so intimidating. I don't want to distract the employees from their work to get the manager. I feel guilty basically. And this leads to another thing I am nervous about.....

-Denial. With most of the places I am applying at, I have no idea whether they need workers or not. It's tough to find places that you know are hiring. A lot of places don't put that out there, and if they do, I usually don't know about it because I don't go to school in the downtown area. I am just nervous about them telling me face-to-face that they don't need anyone. That's a crappy feeling and it's awkward after that.

So that's what I am nervous about. I need a job and I am starting to apply over break, but when I get back, I may have to apply in person at certain places.

Does anyone have any tips on how to get over this?

·
Registered
82 Posts
The things that get me nervous (though irrationally) about applying for jobs is:

-Walking in and applying. This is so intimidating. I don't want to distract the employees from their work to get the manager. I feel guilty basically. And this leads to another thing I am nervous about.....
LOL I have the same feelings when I walk into a store to ask if they are hiring!.You have to remember is they did the same thing to get the job. They understand. Also, when I was working people would ask me if they were hiring and I didn't think any of it. In regard to rejections make sure you have a well written cover letter and resume. Use resume paper that helps! GOod luck with your job search

·
Registered
30 Posts
When I was looking for a job two summers ago, I went all along a street in my hometown, in both directions, and went into EVERY SINGLE STORE asking if I could fill out a job application.

I find that most people are pretty friendly about handing out applications, whether or not they are hiring at the moment. They don't seem bothered by me asking at all, so I don't think you really need to feel guilty about it. Even if they place isn't hiring, I would ask for an application anyway because people unexpectedly leave, work less hours, or get fired. It's not awkward at all, in fact, I think it shows determination.

Also remember to smile, and make sure you look presentable. I'm sure you know all that stuff by now. :b Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts