Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tomorrow, I need to go to the mall to find some stores that are hiring, and I need to find some places that will allow me to fill out a job application.

I'm worried about a few things. First, that since I'm a high school senior that the employees will not take me seriously. Secondly, I'm worried that I'll make a bad impression immediately. And, finally, I'm worried that I don't understand the process of applying for a job since I have never really held a true "job" before.

Give me a pep talk! I'm pretty nervous, but it's something I have to do.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Tomorrow, I need to go to the mall to find some stores that are hiring, and I need to find some places that will allow me to fill out a job application.

I'm worried about a few things. First, that since I'm a high school senior that the employees will not take me seriously. Secondly, I'm worried that I'll make a bad impression immediately. And, finally, I'm worried that I don't understand the process of applying for a job since I have never really held a true "job" before.

Give me a pep talk! I'm pretty nervous, but it's something I have to do.
Millions of seniors go through this every year. fill out an application, send it in, and they will hold onto it. If they are hiring, they will call you most likely. If they arent, they will hold it on file and you will probably never hear form them again.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Don't freak yourself out too much. But try to take yourself seriously, treat the job search seriously. Not overly serious so people think you're boring or intense in a bad way, but it's good that you don't act like the job means nothing. When I was searching for jobs in high school, I found jobs mostly high schoolers do, and I'm more mature than most people my age (not boasting here, just being brutally honest), and I think that comes across.

I know this is really hard, and frustratingly pointless, but I don't know how else to say this: be confident, or at least fake it. Maybe a better way to say it is don't freak yourself out over it. I've found in my life at least that I get really nervous about things like this when I had nothing to worry about, but that being nervous about it beforehand and getting worked up about it caused me to mess up or made it more stressful than it had to be. My stress and freaking out CAUSES a situation to be stressful, it's a bit of a vicious circle. Try to be calm, focused, rational about it (sometimes I can rationalize myself to calm down). Focus on what your strengths are and why you would be a good employee, which is good if they ask you about it and also helps your confidence level. And in this economy at this time, I wouldn't take it personally if you don't get callbacks right away. It would most likely not be about you at all.

I got really lucky. Where I live, there's this big amusement park that is ALWAYS hiring people. I kind of hate it, customer service is not made for an SA-sufferer, but I always have a job for the summer until I manage to get internships and real professions after college. Any chance you're anywhere near Cincinnati, OH?

·
Making No Apologies
72 Posts
I went through pretty much the same thing a year ago. I had no experience in retail, a sketchy job history, and I actually had to interview with corporate instead of the store manager. I think the best thing you can do is dress the part if you're going to be working in retail. I went in with my hair , makeup, and clothes trendy but I didn't overdo anything. Also, appear perky, even if you have to fake it like I did. Remember to smile, even if you're not meeting the manager right that moment. The sales associates will make comments about when you leave, trust me, and you want those comments to be positive ( don't want to make you nervous, but its true).

Anyhoo, good luck, and just think of how great a paycheck will be :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I went to the mall today and a bunch of places game me applications. Everyone was nice about it and I presented myself pretty well. Now, I just need to fill out the applications and hope someone gives me an interview.

I feel like this is a minor success story for me. It would have been easy to sit at home and think of an excuse to not go. Thanks for the help guys!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts