Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it's almost a certain fact that I can't handle university and have failed this year twice already, so if I can, I would like to have an apprenticeship instead. As I understand it, I'm more than qualified for a lot of stuff like that since people do them straight out of high school without brilliant grades. And you can't get a job without experience of a previous job, so this seems an ideal solution if I could make it work. It's just that I'm crap at talking about myself, so application forms and interviews pose a big nightmare for me.

What are my strengths?
What skills would I like to improve?
What are my hobbies?
:um

That's before the issue of talking to people even comes into play.
I assume they want me to say I'm a people person, but in reality I'm terrified of most people.

Seriously any help I can get here would be massively appreciated.

Most of the things I'm applying for are some sort of engineering, and there's a couple of IT ones.

Here's what I can think of so far that may be relevant somewhere:
- partly-completed physics degree (though whether they'll see me as someone who gives up on things for that, I don't know..)
- can't talk to people but I would love to overcome that somehow

·
Wilco Tango Foxtrot!
3,969 Posts
I can offer resume help, anyway! What you'll want to do is write out a "targeted resume" focussing on what you hope to accomplish.

Have an objective; tell them that you are looking for entry level employment and possibly an apprenticeship.

Write a short profile about yourself, something along the lines of ": I am a self-motivated, team playing and safety conscious individual with high working standards. . While I certainly don’t know everything, I find myself eager to learn everything that I can about X and subsequent industries." (X being the apprenticeship you are looking for)

Highlight your skills, qualifications and certifications,

1. Get your WHMIS and basic first aid (it'll help); WHMIS you can do online. :)
2. Take a forklift course; you don't have to, but it'll look better on your resume.
3. Include these on your resume under Skills & Qualifications, "Reliable, bondable, solid work ethic and positive attitude" , "Pride in craftsmanship" , "Willing to relocate/travel; Safety oriented, good with heights" , and if you have a drivers license, "Class XX drivers licence, Clean drivers abstract" (Where XX is the class of licence you have; include the second part if you have a clean driving record).

4. Don't put hobbies on your resume; keep it focused on the job; employers don't care what you do outside of work; as long as you're not getting tanked or doped, you're fine.
5. On that point, some companies will want to drug test; be aware of that. Not all of them, however. They're not testing for prescription meds, more for "less than reputable" stuff. :D

Whatever education you have, include it at the bottom. They may ask for references, be prepared for that; if you know anyone willing to reference you, (teachers, etc...)put them down. You don't need to openly give them references if they don't ask, just put directly at the bottom, "References available upon request" and be prepared if they ask. :D

Companies like people who don't talk a lot; that means that they listen, don't talk back and can generally follow instruction!

Hopefully the above helps! Whatever you're looking at going into, do some research beforehand to prepare yourself!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those are questions asked of me on the application forms. They're not asking for a CV, or at least not yet..

I ended up writing about 'being able to solve logical/mathematical problems', and said a bit about the conservation volunteer work I've done in the past.

·
Registered
648 Posts
If you can do math, why not deal with computers and throw the idea of ghetto school out the window? I was under the impression that by now all people would know how to use computers, since it's like ****ing fire as far as inventions go these days, but they can't. So might as well cash in.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you can do math, why not deal with computers and throw the idea of ghetto school out the window? I was under the impression that by now all people would know how to use computers, since it's like ****ing fire as far as inventions go these days, but they can't. So might as well cash in.
"Ghetto school"? Gee, thanks.
I know a bit about computing but it still doesn't mean I can just get a job doing that with no experience or formal training.

·
Registered
648 Posts
"Ghetto school"? Gee, thanks.
I know a bit about computing but it still doesn't mean I can just get a job doing that with no experience or formal training.
What I mean is go for a computer science degree or something. I can say for certain I did not learn a thing in my CS degree that I didn't already know. But it keeps you on a good path of learning. Put that together with certifications and such and you've got a pretty good career. I'm just saying, there's no need to downgrade your employment just because you fail out of a few classes you're not interested in. Go back in and go hard.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What I mean is go for a computer science degree or something. I can say for certain I did not learn a thing in my CS degree that I didn't already know. But it keeps you on a good path of learning. Put that together with certifications and such and you've got a pretty good career. I'm just saying, there's no need to downgrade your employment just because you fail out of a few classes you're not interested in. Go back in and go hard.
Sorry, but it's rather obvious you've not been in college in England. I had no choice in which classes I took, and if I don't pass the vast majority of them in a given year, I either leave or repeat the entire year. I've already repeated 2nd year once before, I'm not going through it a third time. I studied geology and physics - subjects I have always enjoyed the most and yet being in college killed my enthusiasm and I still failed dramatically. Perhaps it would also be a good point to add that this is not a country where every single person is expected to get a degree.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts